Morrissey - The Autobiography

I think he genuinely wants to do it, it's just that he can't motivate himself to do it. He enjoys making records and touring more that sitting down and writing a book.

I wonder if he gets inspired by the diana dors biographies...
I have read some of them -
two books:For adults only+ the sequel: behind closed dors
(bought them very cheap in the edinbugh book/records store: "Shakespeare & Elvis"-judging by the name-Im sure Moz has visited this shop;)
written in an a-z style:
from certain actions like playing pranks,getting arrested... to namedropping american and british actors/actresses, playwrights,singers
...people like Noël Coward,and many faces and names you have heard namedropped by our Moz
:It was very entertaining to read about,beside that she also slips some stuff about her private life...etc etc
what she had to say about them sometimes she kind of slag off the people-but not in a malicious way
...which reminds me off a statement of morrissey in an interview for a swedish(?)newspaper (was printed in one of the fanzines)
that he likes to slag off people he likes...
So i wonder :..he surely have read these books ..i wonder if he drew any inspirations from it?
she has books published....
anyway..

hmm we certainly can not expect a book in joe orton`s style :D

Last edited:
Morrissey has read too many autobiographies and biographies.

Diana Dors managed to dodge Inland Revenue, but not sure if her son managed to trace all the savings she left him.

I hope the autbiography is not coming to soon..my guess is he will publish it when he retires..
I would guess it will be not a "tell all"

"I lie a lot, Its really useful";)

Last edited:
A Morrissey autobiography would be so amazing! But I don't see it happening...

I have a theory (because that's what I do) that Morrissey has his autobiography already on paper.

I think this because a person like himself who loves language and love writing would keep a journal; either a daily journal for thoughts and noting events or a journal with ideas and things he might have been said or he has heard.

If this is the case, then all he would need is someone he can trust to transcribe it for him electronically, providing that they can read his scribbles and he can edit at will.

So, the work, in a way may be half done.

I personally volunteer myself to the task.

I have a theory (because that's what I do) that Morrissey has his autobiography already on paper.

I think this because a person like himself who loves language and love writing would keep a journal; either a daily journal for thoughts and noting events or a journal with ideas and things he might have been said or he has heard.

I was thinking about that too. But a journal is not exactly an autobiography, yet it would be a first step. It "just" needs some editing.

I WISH he would do it, but I really doubt he will. He's too secretive and private. Maybe when he gets to be 60 or something he will, when it doesn't matter as much. But right now I don't think so.

As soon as Morrissey says something, it is printed in the media!:eek:
http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=34276
Morrissey Set To Write His Autobiography
10/22/2008 By Cam Lindsay

He's a man who's never been short on words or gossip, and now it's surfaced that Steven Patrick Morrissey has announced he will soon begin writing his autobiography. While speaking with BBC 2's Janice Long, the former Smiths front-man and surname-flaunting vegan revealed that his next project will be a tell-all on himself to set the record straight.

"So much crap is written about me, it's hard to live with sometimes," he said. "It all gets burned down in history and becomes a part of your legacy."

Asked whether last year's controversial interview with the NME had anything to do with the decision, he replied, "Well, many, many, many things. But with every printed interview there's lots of misquotes and lots of them are really silly and really extreme and you have to live with them for the rest of your life. So it's setting the record straight."

In the interview, Morrissey also opened up about his forthcoming new album, Year Of Refusal (due in February), calling it his best album yet. "It's fantastically strong," he said. "It's very, very strong and it's interesting for me after all these years, but it's the strongest."

As soon as Morrissey says something, it is printed in the media!:eek:
http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=34276
Morrissey Set To Write His Autobiography
10/22/2008 By Cam Lindsay

He's a man who's never been short on words or gossip, and now it's surfaced that Steven Patrick Morrissey has announced he will soon begin writing his autobiography. While speaking with BBC 2's Janice Long, the former Smiths front-man and surname-flaunting vegan revealed that his next project will be a tell-all on himself to set the record straight.

"So much crap is written about me, it's hard to live with sometimes," he said. "It all gets burned down in history and becomes a part of your legacy."

Asked whether last year's controversial interview with the NME had anything to do with the decision, he replied, "Well, many, many, many things. But with every printed interview there's lots of misquotes and lots of them are really silly and really extreme and you have to live with them for the rest of your life. So it's setting the record straight."

In the interview, Morrissey also opened up about his forthcoming new album, Year Of Refusal (due in February), calling it his best album yet. "It's fantastically strong," he said. "It's very, very strong and it's interesting for me after all these years, but it's the strongest."

This exactly same note, but translated into Spanish was published 2 hours ago in the second most important newspaper's website here in Chile.

As always, MorrisSey mispelled :(

http://www.tercera.cl/contenido/30_65511_9.shtml

If this is the case, then all he would need is someone he can trust to transcribe it for him electronically, providing that they can read his scribbles and he can edit at will.

So, the work, in a way may be half done.

I think he will have written a lot already, but it's how it's put to paper that's interesting. Morrissey could write his opinions of what happened, or for the record what he actually said as opposed to misquotations which are all too frequent.

But as to telling all about his life, I don't see it before he retires from music, or even then....Morrissey's legacy, his place in musical history, if you like, has been carefully crafted and is not something to be eviscorated on the open page.

But what do I know, it's fun to speculate..:p

Actually I think Janice came up with the word "legacy." Morrissey had brain fade. ;)

I doubt Morrissey has much of a life outside his music career. I doubt he has many revelations for us even if he wanted to spill. The most interesting thing about him is his work, so why shouldn't an autobiography concentrate on that?

I doubt Morrissey has much of a life outside his music career. I doubt he has many revelations for us even if he wanted to spill. The most interesting thing about him is his work, so why shouldn't an autobiography concentrate on that?

Oh really? :rolleyes: What, pray tell, do you think his songs are talking about then?

Back
Top Bottom