Morrissey included in Greatest Lyricists booklet giveaway

Well-written foreword by Tim Lott, pretty-much devoid of cliché and with some very cogent analysis.
Pretty sepia paper. Double-page pic (b & w) of Morrissey in priestly garb onstage in the "Quarry" era.
Reprint of "Guardian" or "Observer" article by Nicholas de Jongh from October 1985 entitled "Boy with a thorn in his side".
Lyrics printed are "Suffer Little Children", The Queen Is Dead", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "I Have Forgiven Jesus", "I Know It's Over", "Rusholme Ruffians", "The Ordinary Boys", "Every Day Is Like Sunday", "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" and "Irish Blood, English Heart"

All in all, a nice booklet.

Thanks to my Sophie Ellis-Bextor lookalike work colleague who gave me her copy :)

Well-written foreword by Tim Lott, pretty-much devoid of cliché and with some very cogent analysis.
Pretty sepia paper. Double-page pic (b & w) of Morrissey in priestly garb onstage in the "Quarry" era.
Reprint of "Guardian" or "Observer" article by Nicholas de Jongh from October 1985 entitled "Boy with a thorn in his side".
Lyrics printed are "Suffer Little Children", The Queen Is Dead", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "I Have Forgiven Jesus", "I Know It's Over", "Rusholme Ruffians", "The Ordinary Boys", "Every Day Is Like Sunday", "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" and "Irish Blood, English Heart"

All in all, a nice booklet.

Thanks to my Sophie Ellis-Bextor lookalike work colleague who gave me her copy :)

Is it worth spending money?

I managed to get to the papers in the staff room first today and pinched the copy from The Guardian!

Really good foreword by Tim Lott. I particularly like the first lines:
'When The Smiths emerged like a strangely attractive housefly over the sugar-coated rim of the musical cocktail that was the early 1980's...'

And this bit:
'You are English, romantically doomed, charismatically lonely, symbolically (but not physically violent), bitterly funny and dreaming, always, of love.'

I nicked my copy from Leicester train station. I thought the "foreword" was very well written and the interview with Mr Morrissey was pleasant enough. Not too sure about the choice of some songs to illustrate the genius that is Morrissey's lyrical writing (I Just Want to See The Boy Happy is hardly Pam Ayres let alone Keats) but all in all a pleasant enough pamphlet for a freebie!

Morrissey In The Guardian Today!

Morrissey features in The Guardian Newspaper today, It features various pictures and a lyrics sheet in ode to Moz...

BUY IT NOW TODAY, IT'S ONLY 80P!!!!

Re: Morrissey In The Guardian Today!

Morrissey features in The Guardian Newspaper today, It features various pictures and a lyrics sheet in ode to Moz...

BUY IT NOW TODAY, IT'S ONLY 80P!!!!

In other news there is a new invention called the wheel and you can buy bread that is already sliced.

I have a spare copy should anyone need one.

Thank you very much, I bought two copies in order to give one to a friend from Japan when we meet at Cork.
She might already got a copy of Hot Press.

Suppose someone in South America would like to have your spare. ;)

Good read. 80p, you can't go wrong.

I've picked up some spares of this too - if anyone wants one pm me etc - I'll post them on.

4 spare copies here if anyone wants one. Will post internationally at no charge if required. I'll also scan it all later.

Peter

I'm a bit confused--is this just one booklet in a series of 8, or does it feature writeups about 8 different artists? Dylan & Chuck D have been mention, but who are the 5 others?

And what were they thinking by picking "Boy Happy"???

One booklet each artist.
Today's booklet is dedicated to Morrissey's work.

So far Springsteen and Dylan's booklets are published earlier.
I couldn't find any trailer or mention of other artists from http://music.guardian.co.uk/greatlyricists

*edit*
Silly me, tomorrow's booklet is Joni Mitchell, I'll get it as well. :)

Last edited:
I bought a copy of The Guardian this morning and to be honest I was a little disappointed. The book is nicely produced, although the essay offers no real analysis, it’s not offensive and the reprinted article in the back is interesting, but I struggle to understand why they include I Just Want To See The Boy Happy and The Ordinary Boys. I like both songs, but if you were to choose any song that shows off Moz's lyrical prowess from either Viva Hate or Ringleaders you would choose any song but those two. I must admit, I felt a little angry at the possibility someone reading the Guardian might think that’s the best he can do, when we all know he can, and has, done a lot better.

Tags
guardian lyricist morrissey the guardian
Back
Top Bottom