Morrissey crying?

Aren't the best performers the ones who fool themselves? After all, if they don't believe it, then the audience won't believe it either.

Then,is it a "perfomance"? A bit of conundrum this one

Next you're going to say that there's no Easter Bunny.

Aren't the best performers the ones who fool themselves? After all, if they don't believe it, then the audience won't believe it either.

Ipso facto, tears.

True...the greatest actors don't just go through the motions, they become the parts they play. That's why Morrissey is such a great performer...he puts his all into the part. I just don't agree with the view that Moz must have something going on in his life that made the song resonate so strongly in him as to bring him to tears (well, except for being just out of reach of Suparni, of course...that would bring anyone to tears ;)) He's a great actor who relishes his role...but an actor all the same.
As for the Easter Bunny...well...we'll tackle that one on another day. ;)

EasterBunny.jpg

Yeah, I was there too. . .do you really think he was crying? Because I don't.

This came up in the "What would you change about Moz?" thread. . .someone posted one of the youtube videos of "Please Please Please" on 10/28 and pointed to it as proof of Moz's "lonely" emotional state. To which I replied:

Methinks thou doest project too much. And not just thou, but many folks. I saw him 6 times in 9 days (nights) and came away from it convinced that a lot of his emotion--except for the happiness and exuberance and fun--is a put-on, a half-joke. I want to see him really feeling the songs he is singing, I went to the NYC gigs with that in the back of my mind, but the more I stand up front at shows, the less I believe any of this "Morrissey was so emotional during [old, sad Smiths song]." I don't doubt it looks that way from the back rows--it's meant to--but up close, it doesn't hold water. In that video you linked to, I think he was just listening to us sing, to be honest, which is a truly emotional moment, if you're in that crowd, and I suppose maybe for Morrissey as well, but not in the way you suggest.

So many people who've seen him for the first time recently marveled at how he was so overcome by "Please, Please, Please. . ." that he collapsed to one knee at the end, with his head bowed. Ah, but if they look closer they'll see he does that every time he sings it. And that's not even a bad thing; it looks dramatic, Elvis used to do the same thing (I feel sure that's why Moz does it), and, y'know, a little dramatic "stage business" is fine. . .but don't fool yrself into thinking you are witnessing 24-year-old Sad Moz suddenly taking over 48-year-old Seemingly-Content Moz's body because he's been so transported by his own profundity, memories of lost love, a really good veggie burger he ate for lunch, what have you. Well, actually, it might be that last one.

Same with the lying on the monitor/drum riser thing. . .maybe his back just hurts. He needs his nap. Something to that effect.

I really enjoy his performances, and I give him credit for not phoning them in after all this time. . .clearly he sings those songs he really enjoys singing, so he's into it, in that sense. But from what I've seen, there's just too much prozac flowing through those veins these days to allow for emotional breakdowns during songs he's been singing off and on for 20 years (and likely over 100 times just in the past two years).

There might be other video of Moz weeping, but I don't think this is one of them.

Also, this thread is a little weird. What next, "Anyone got any videos of Morrissey crushing hamsters with high-heeled shoes?"

--jeniphir

Well to quote Richard Hawley "It's Over Love", obviously.

I don't see a problem with this. He's made me cry many times and to see him able to do the same so publicly, whatever the reason, is charming. One of the reasons many of us adore the man is that we feel we know him through his works despite nearly all of us having not met him. We feel we have an unparalleled rapport with him at concerts and it seems he genuinely feels the same.

Let's hope whatever is getting the G.L.E. down is soon mended. My guess is he's missing Tim Jonze.

It is amazing to see that after so many years on stage he still has great emotion and passion in his music :)

This.

Although I'll be the first to admit that I get choked up hearing some of these songs, so it's not entirely implausible that the guy who wrote them would choke up when he's singing them. But still.

Yeah, I dunno if if he was crying but he did seem to be struggling through the song and looked to be hurting.

Yeah, I was there too. . .do you really think he was crying? Because I don't.

This came up in the "What would you change about Moz?" thread. . .someone posted one of the youtube videos of "Please Please Please" on 10/28 and pointed to it as proof of Moz's "lonely" emotional state. To which I replied:

Methinks thou doest project too much. And not just thou, but many folks. I saw him 6 times in 9 days (nights) and came away from it convinced that a lot of his emotion--except for the happiness and exuberance and fun--is a put-on, a half-joke. I want to see him really feeling the songs he is singing, I went to the NYC gigs with that in the back of my mind, but the more I stand up front at shows, the less I believe any of this "Morrissey was so emotional during [old, sad Smiths song]." I don't doubt it looks that way from the back rows--it's meant to--but up close, it doesn't hold water. In that video you linked to, I think he was just listening to us sing, to be honest, which is a truly emotional moment, if you're in that crowd, and I suppose maybe for Morrissey as well, but not in the way you suggest.

So many people who've seen him for the first time recently marveled at how he was so overcome by "Please, Please, Please. . ." that he collapsed to one knee at the end, with his head bowed. Ah, but if they look closer they'll see he does that every time he sings it. And that's not even a bad thing; it looks dramatic, Elvis used to do the same thing (I feel sure that's why Moz does it), and, y'know, a little dramatic "stage business" is fine. . .but don't fool yrself into thinking you are witnessing 24-year-old Sad Moz suddenly taking over 48-year-old Seemingly-Content Moz's body because he's been so transported by his own profundity, memories of lost love, a really good veggie burger he ate for lunch, what have you. Well, actually, it might be that last one.

Same with the lying on the monitor/drum riser thing. . .maybe his back just hurts. He needs his nap. Something to that effect.

I really enjoy his performances, and I give him credit for not phoning them in after all this time. . .clearly he sings those songs he really enjoys singing, so he's into it, in that sense. But from what I've seen, there's just too much prozac flowing through those veins these days to allow for emotional breakdowns during songs he's been singing off and on for 20 years (and likely over 100 times just in the past two years).

There might be other video of Moz weeping, but I don't think this is one of them.

Also, this thread is a little weird. What next, "Anyone got any videos of Morrissey crushing hamsters with high-heeled shoes?"

--jeniphir

hmmm i think there is a little bit of high horsemanship going on in your post, you think because you have been at the front 9 times that you have a better idea of what is going on than someone in the 99th row? Being at the front does not make you an insider.

I think the emotion is pretty real. Morrissey seems like too much of an awkward character in real life to be able to turn on and off the water works.

I think he just gets caught up in it time and time again, which is no bad thing

I dunno i was right in front at this show and i don't think that gives me a great idea of what is going on... but my sense is pretty strong - (not scent NRITH) and I was surprised and even wrote in my note to Moz that he took with my book... at how authentic he feels in his singing. I buy it... call me gullible or whatever - but standing there and watching with many senses - I feel it is authentic feeling... particularly at these ny shows for some reason. sorry jen

hmmm i think there is a little bit of high horsemanship going on in your post, you think because you have been at the front 9 times that you have a better idea of what is going on than someone in the 99th row? Being at the front does not make you an insider.

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, as I do not mean to say that what I saw, being up front a handful of times, PROVES that it's not genuine. . . What I meant was that in the course of that week and a half of shows (not my first, far from my last), I came to feel--that is to say, I formed the opinion--that a lot of it is put on. Not all of it. But a lot of it. And it's also my opinion that if there is genuine feeling (and I hope there is), it's not what fans imagine it to be.

Sorry, I forgot we were on the internet and every dissenting opinion had to be followed by a string of "JMO's" and suchlike.

--jeniphir

Last edited:
That clip just looks like he was having trouble singing to me. Probably was having throat problems.

well, if you ask me...you didn't? well, anyways...he's feeling like a heel about sacking Kristeen Young the day before, and it got him a little choked up

but really, act or not, that's a DAMN good act.

He’s a showman. It’s just an act. As far as we know, this forlorn crooner who sings of better days and the despair of a lonely heart has a loving family he goes home to but puts on his little show to elicit the response he needs to get what he wants. He says cryptic things on stage and is oh so mysterious in interviews, but why? To hide the truth? The truth that he’s just like you and me? That he’s actually very happy? So I’m hesitant to buy it. I imagine he’s very pleased with his situation and that the tears are crocodile. He want’s us lonely people to believe that he’s our leader while in reality he’s most likely spoiled in the riches of companionship and togetherness.

I dunno i was right in front at this show and i don't think that gives me a great idea of what is going on... but my sense is pretty strong - (not scent NRITH) and I was surprised and even wrote in my note to Moz that he took with my book... at how authentic he feels in his singing. I buy it... call me gullible or whatever - but standing there and watching with many senses - I feel it is authentic feeling... particularly at these ny shows for some reason. sorry jen
Agreed Suparni, I buy it too. I saw the emotion live and just a few feet away in SF and I believe it was authentic. That's why I love this guy, he is real, for better or worse.

He is enigmatic. Enigmatic people keep secrets. That's just the way it is. Perhaps his secret is that he's finally happy, but happy rock stars don't sell records.

I wouldn't invest a lot of time or energy into believing his tears are authentic or not. Just don't say I didn't warn you this time.

He’s a showman. It’s just an act. As far as we know, this forlorn crooner who sings of better days and the despair of a lonely heart has a loving family he goes home to but puts on his little show to elicit the response he needs to get what he wants. He says cryptic things on stage and is oh so mysterious in interviews, but why? To hide the truth? The truth that he’s just like you and me? That he’s actually very happy? So I’m hesitant to buy it. I imagine he’s very pleased with his situation and that the tears are crocodile. He want’s us lonely people to believe that he’s our leader while in reality he’s most likely spoiled in the riches of companionship and togetherness.
Are you having a bad day?
Seems like you are usually a bit more critical than usual?

ad hominum

And though every cell in my body wants to not justify your ad hominum comment with attention, no I am not having a bad day, I am having as my history can easily reveal a very typical day.

Why? Because as it has been pointed out to me on too many occasions that I care to recall, "I AM SICK."

Back
Top Bottom