Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

Been known about for a long time. I think it's in the Johnny Rogan book that Gail Colson was unsure about becoming his manager because he already had a reputation for cancelling Smiths tours and events at short notice. Also why she wouldn't have him back after they split and he couldn't find new management.
Exactly. Not turning up for Wogan. Refusing to leave his house for a Smiths video despite Marr begging him from outside the window. Refusing to go on stage without being asked 15 times. Ridiculous riders specifying exact brand of cheese. Insulting interviewers like Jools Holland with his "but you're not northern" scour. Such absolute diva shite! He's more English than Irish. That's all I'm saying.

That said, he's never cancelled a concert I've bought tickets for so he's ok by me.

35539_dd_morrissey0380.jpg

He’s not willing to pay for a good manager, same as ever since the Smiths.
As much as i love him i have to say, he's unmanageable, from '83 to present day he's proved it time and time again, and probably by his own admission.
Theres an element in the business he is in, that you NEED a manager, but it always goes to shit.

Well, he's walked off-stage because of objects hitting him, hecklers, smells, a cold breeze, fainting/breathing issues & a band member being ill. So, that's a mix of sensory overload, physical illness & emotional upset.
When did he leave "because of smells"?! Was it the show where certain items of clothing were thrown on the stage?! 🤭

Well, he's walked off-stage because of objects hitting him, hecklers, smells, a cold breeze, fainting/breathing issues & a band member being ill. So, that's a mix of sensory overload, physical illness & emotional upset.
Do you think M has a form of Asperger's/NVLD?

Sick of being let down, discarded and forgotten by Morrissey? Even I with my "MOZ" neck tattoo, long concert attending history going back to his 1st US solo show in San Diego way back in 1991, have to admit I sure am. Compare and contrast if you will the ghost of Mozzer with one of our greatest living singer songwriters, the peerless Willie Nelson. Writer of over 1200 songs over seven decades, including such mozzian titles as "I've Just Destroyed the World", "Opportunity to Cry", "Darkness on the Face of Earth", "Permanently Lonely" to name but a very few. He tours constantly. I have seen him 21 times with, wait for it, ZERO cancellations, all shows performed when he was aged between 69 and 88 years old! Also in the last ten years Willie has released 18 studio albums to Morrissey's 4. Willie is now 90 years old, he has upcoming 19 date leg of his constant tour and I bet you dollars to dimes, this true showman and all around wonderful human being won't CANCEL ONE of them, because he doesn't have a selfish bone in his body and truly cares for his fans. Sure he plays sitting down now but try not leaving one of his shows without smiling.

He grudgingly gave 10% to members of his own band, why would he want to pay that or more for a manager?

No. M & Marr offered 10% and Mike & Andy accepted, after Marr threatened he would leave the Smiths if they didn’t agree to that offer. It’s in Marr’s autobio.

And where did you get ‘grudgingly’ from?

The brief radio segment above features 3 people expressing derision over the cancellation and Bryce pops up to say Morrissey is a curmudgeon, depressed, paranoid and scared of flying. Basically implying it's par for the course being a fan whilst dropping a total concerts cancelled figure. He ends by saying some solo material was better than The Smiths. Didn't hear anything that constituted 'spirited defence' myself.
To be fair to those disappointed in New Zealand, unless some amazing explanation comes forward, cancelling at short notice isn't something anyone should be trying to 'defend'. It's perfectly reasonable to be an angry fan there right now.
FWD.
I'm not even sure if it was defence. I think the title may have been clickbait. Sounded like more of an explanation. I do sort of agree about the solo material. Overall these days I tend to listen to more Solo stuff than Smiths.

It would also be a total disregard for himself since it causes problems between him & the venue, promoter, fans, media, insurance etc.

There would have to be something wrong with someone who did that on a whim.
You've inadvertently nailed what the problem is. There is clearly something wrong with him.

All very valid points. In that case Moz just needs strong but empathetic support personnel who can mitigate the disasters by
(1) explaining the cancellation
(2) not allowing Moz to thank Oz seventeen seconds after NZ gets axed
(3) anyone with any knowledge of Oz/NZ knows there is a friendly rivalry there between the two great countries. I lived in Oz and travelled extensively in Oz and in NZ and often heard stories like "My son works in Sydney and sends all the money home to us in Auckland cos he wants it spent back home." So Moz thanking Oz was an ill-timed move.

Maybe Moz admin could draft up a checklist with the dozen or so possible reasons concerts are cancelled, in one column, beside blank boxes to be ticked as applies?!

You mean "Alive out of Spite"?
It's a T-shirt, but I have a degenerative autoimmune disease so it's also appropriate.

Audre Lorde said:

Survival is not an academic skill. It is learning how to stand alone, unpopular and sometimes reviled, and how to make common cause with those others identified as outside the structures in order to define and seek a world in which we can all flourish. It is learning how to take our differences and make them strengths. 🙏

Do you think M has a form of Asperger's/NVLD?
I had to look up NVLD and wasn't sure of its clinical significance. As for Asperger's, by which I take it you mean autism in an adult with average to above average IQ, who knows? People are as they are, irrespective of the vocabulary used by those with power in mental health. But I do think he needs a good mentor.

Back
Top Bottom