Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

Although there was very little promotion, I think he easily could've sold out two nights in Auckland, given the last time he was here was in 2012.

Bryce Edwards gives a spirited defence of Morrissey on a NZ radio show. Plus posted a cute picture.

20231214_094011.jpg

The brief radio segment above features 3 people expressing derision over the cancellation and Bryce pops up to say Morrissey is a curmudgeon, depressed, paranoid and scared of flying. Basically implying it's par for the course being a fan whilst dropping a total concerts cancelled figure. He ends by saying some solo material was better than The Smiths. Didn't hear anything that constituted 'spirited defence' myself.
To be fair to those disappointed in New Zealand, unless some amazing explanation comes forward, cancelling at short notice isn't something anyone should be trying to 'defend'. It's perfectly reasonable to be an angry fan there right now.
FWD.

The brief radio segment above features 3 people expressing derision over the cancellation and Bryce pops up to say Morrissey is a curmudgeon, depressed, paranoid and scared of flying. Basically implying it's par for the course being a fan whilst dropping a total concerts cancelled figure. He ends by saying some solo material was better than The Smiths. Didn't hear anything that constituted 'spirited defence' myself.
To be fair to those disappointed in New Zealand, unless some amazing explanation comes forward, cancelling at short notice isn't something anyone should be trying to 'defend'. It's perfectly reasonable to be an angry fan there right now.
FWD.

He's still likes him! Mostly you get, aye, he's awful now, bin him.

Here's my theory.

Morrissey, or his tour manager, runs the numbers for what they expect to net from the trip, and makes the decision about whether to play the show or not. This is why these one-off gigs which are a fairly long distance apart end up routinely being cancelled. The logistics of hauling all the kit on and off the plane and setting up in the venue, paying and feeding the crew, etc. eats into the profits which can't be that substantial for small venue shows. If Moz is losing money on the gig, he won't play. It's simply a business decision.
Yes, could be. But that would be a terrible tour manager. Couldn't he/she figure out the cost of moving the tour from Sydney to Auckland in advance, when planning the whole leg of the tour? Would he/she find what it costs only two days before the sold out show and decide it doesn't pay to go there? The same goes for Latin America or Southeast Asia. If that is the case, that would be awful management.

My own theory is that all this is decided on a whim. For some reason Morrissey feels he's too tired, a flight is too long, gets annoyed by the band playing, gets angry at a food cart in the street selling meat, whatever stupid reason, and he decides he's not playing. No depression, no paranoia, no fear of flying, no conspiracy theory, just total disregard for the fans.

Last edited:
Yes, could be. But that would be a terrible tour manager. Couldn't he/she figure out the cost of moving the tour from Sydney to Auckland in advance, when planning the whole leg of the tour? Would he/she find what it costs only two days before the sold out show and decide it doesn't pay to go there? The same goes for Latin America or Southeast Asia. If that is the case, that would be awful management.

My own theory is that all this is decided on a whim. For some reason Morrissey feels he's too tired, a flight is too long, gets annoyed by the band playing, gets angry at a food cart in the street selling meat, whatever stupid reason, and he decides he's not playing. No depression, no paranoia, no fear of flying, no conspiracy theory, just total disregard for the fans.

It would also be a total disregard for himself since it causes problems between him & the venue, promoter, fans, media, insurance etc.

There would have to be something wrong with someone who did that on a whim.

It would also be a total disregard for himself since it causes problems between him & the venue, promoter, fans, media, insurance etc.

Been known about for a long time. I think it's in the Johnny Rogan book that Gail Colson was unsure about becoming his manager because he already had a reputation for cancelling Smiths tours and events at short notice. Also why she wouldn't have him back after they split and he couldn't find new management.

He cancels gigs on the day they were scheduled for, why do you think he does that?

can a moderator tell me why this thread about auckland being cancelled is hijacked by posts about paul weller and yet none have been booted into off topic.yours sincerely,gordyboy.
I think initially someone posted about Weller's shows not being cancelled, or beeing boring -I don’t remember. And it ended up comparing the popularity of Shout To The Top with A Town Called Malice with That's Entertainment with Have You Ever Had It Blue with ETC. 🤗

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:
Hardly a surprise, treats his fans like dirt and plays what he wants, when he wants/deigns to grace us with his presence as if we're all so lucky just to share a room with him. Silly little Steven from Stretford really hasn't changed. Meanwhile Johnny Marr plays two sellout homecoming shows to c. 10,000 people over the two nights, playing the songs they want and everyone goes home happy. Chalk and cheese. I'm not even from NZ but I'm close to being done with him.

‘Chalk and cheese’ Thank the gods for that!

Marr being the ‘cheese’ of course. ;)

1702566137147.png

Ooh, I been dirt
And I don't care
Ooh, I been dirt
But I don't care
'Cause I'm
Burning
Inside
I'm just a-yearning
Inside
And I'm the fire of life’

- Morrissey

Hardly a surprise, treats his fans like dirt and plays what he wants, when he wants/deigns to grace us with his presence as if we're all so lucky just to share a room with him. Silly little Steven from Stretford really hasn't changed. Meanwhile Johnny Marr plays two sellout homecoming shows to c. 10,000 people over the two nights, playing the songs they want and everyone goes home happy. Chalk and cheese. I'm not even from NZ but I'm close to being done with him.

It is interesting, because usually people here on solo assume and come to their conclusion that Morrissey cancels shows because they are not sold out or didn’t sell well, which evidently is not the case.

Again, it sucks for those that intended to experience these shows, but I do hope that he’s alright, and hires the right people to help him get his shit together. I speculate that a lot of this problem lies in the fact that he may not have (unfortunately by his choice) the right hired team to make these tours happen. That problems come up ahead of these dates, and not having the right support and not being able to deal with it himself, he simply shuts down and cancels the shows.
Don't you think it's a little late in his career to "get his shit together" as you put it? The man is nearing his mid 60's with 70 just around the bend.

Most likely. And those shows were sold out, but even so, you don’t think it was worth it for him? The tour set up seemed a bit all over the map and erratic from the start. But what do I know? I’m not a tour manager, and maybe neither is Donnie. Guess he does his best.
And his best isn't good enough.

Totally. But I can’t, and I’m not really blaming Donnie, or should anyone at all? he’s been with M for a while now. Just think these shows the way they were set up could have been set up better to work for M (???) Maybe Morrissey has just grown more Morrissey as he’s gotten older, and unfortunately, just shuts down and refuses any engagements etc. The story is old. I’m just wondering that with a more professional team some of these issues may have been circumvented. That’s if my speculations have any truth to them in the first place.

He cancels gigs on the day they were scheduled for, why do you think he does that?

Well, he's walked off-stage because of objects hitting him, hecklers, smells, a cold breeze, fainting/breathing issues & a band member being ill. So, that's a mix of sensory overload, physical illness & emotional upset.

Well, he's walked off-stage because of objects hitting him, hecklers, smells, a cold breeze, fainting/breathing issues & a band member being ill. So, that's a mix of sensory overload, physical illness & emotional upset.

Should a person like that even be touring? He needs to play in a controlled environment.

Don't you think it's a little late in his career to "get his shit together" as you put it? The man is nearing his mid 60's with 70 just around the bend.

Yeah you’re right, it’s hopeless. He should just continue to tour and cancel and disappoint fans and not have a better team to help where they could, like proper manager etc.

Yeah you’re right, it’s hopeless. He should just continue to tour and cancel and disappoint fans and not have a better team to help where they could, like proper manager etc.

He’s not willing to pay for a good manager, same as ever since the Smiths.

Back
Top Bottom