Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See

BillyBud

Unruly Boy
beautiful. Just rediscovered this album after a long time.

Also, not on that album, but Flowers In December is sweeeeet.

Plus, Hope Sandoval would get a royal seeing to.

beautiful. Just rediscovered this album after a long time.

Also, not on that album, but Flowers In December is sweeeeet.

Plus, Hope Sandoval would get a royal seeing to.

Got to agree with you on all three points!

Hope is impossibly beautiful, but alas, she is a terrible beeyatch -- just a horrible personality. But maybe she has mellowed with time, who knows? I'm not even sure if she's still in the music business. She's been supposedly working on a follow-up solo album with Colm from My Bloody Valentine for about the past 7 years or so. She'd be 41 now.

Sorry if this post sounds mean-spirited. I love Mazzy Star's music; "She Hangs Brightly" is one of my all-time favourite albums - I listened to it pretty much constantly 1990-91. They were excellent in concert too, even if Hope was unforgiveably rude to the audience.

Hope is impossibly beautiful, but alas, she is a terrible beeyatch -- just a horrible personality. But maybe she has mellowed with time, who knows? I'm not even sure if she's still in the music business. She's been supposedly working on a follow-up solo album with Colm from My Bloody Valentine for about the past 7 years or so. She'd be 41 now.

Sorry if this post sounds mean-spirited. I love Mazzy Star's music; "She Hangs Brightly" is one of my all-time favourite albums - I listened to it pretty much constantly 1990-91. They were excellent in concert too, even if Hope was unforgiveably rude to the audience.

yes,she's still going strong:check out her website.
I don't care if she has a terrible personality:face,body and voice of a dirty sexy angel!

Mazzy Star had brilliant moments, but their songs all blurred into one long, slow, strummy mope for me. I can't listen to more than one or two of their songs at a sitting - too monotonous.

That was the influence of the H unfortunately: as the ("alleged") drug use increased, the songs became so slow they nearly came to a halt. It doesn't do much for artistic productivity either, as you can tell from Hope Sandoval's and David Roback's subsequent non-careers.

But hey, as long as she's cute - that's all that matters.

Again, sorry for the bitterness. I just think it's such a waste.

She's doing vocals on one track on the new Massive Attack LP apparently. Should be interesting.

She could be mean spirited to me all day. I'd still want to bum her.

Yeah, I used to listen to Mazzy Star back in the day in order to lull me to sleep at a decent hour so that I could make it in time for school.

She's beautiful allright...but what's up with the attitude everyone's talking about? I never caught them or her live. What kind of things did she say?

At the concert I attended, she didn't speak at all, not even to say "thanks" or "good evening" or introduce a song. The most she would manage is a haughty glare or an irritated too-hip-for-the-room attitude. Someone even called out at one point, "Sorry to bother you." I was in the front row, and at one point - this is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me at a concert - Hope stared me down, stone-faced, for an uncomfortable period of time, maybe just a minute or two, but it was bizarre. She might be shy.

I came across this brief concert review from Rolling Stone -- apparently Hope does speak occasionally:

The always trippy Mazzy Star previewed material from their forthcoming album, So Tonight That I Might See, at the blues haunt, the Mint. Curiously, vocalist Hope Sandoval admonished the rapt crowed for its applause. “Why are you clapping?” she asked. “You weren’t even listening.”

At the concert I attended, she didn't speak at all, not even to say "thanks" or "good evening" or introduce a song. The most she would manage is a haughty glare or an irritated too-hip-for-the-room attitude. Someone even called out at one point, "Sorry to bother you." I was in the front row, and at one point - this is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me at a concert - Hope stared me down, stone-faced, for an uncomfortable period of time, maybe just a minute or two, but it was bizarre. She might be shy.

.”
Brilliant..now,that's what i want from a pop star:attitude!
Bet she's a lovely lass really

It's f***ing rock-n-roll, man. And she probably was too hip for the room.

Excusez-moi, the room was the 9:30 Club in D.C. and that's pretty hip :)

I came across this brief concert review from Rolling Stone -- apparently Hope does speak occasionally:

The always trippy Mazzy Star previewed material from their forthcoming album, So Tonight That I Might See, at the blues haunt, the Mint. Curiously, vocalist Hope Sandoval admonished the rapt crowed for its applause. “Why are you clapping?” she asked. “You weren’t even listening.”

GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN!

Back
Top Bottom