Marr's new album

J

jesse

has anyone else heard it? i bought it today. after one time through, i'd have to say... oasis is more interesting.

Sucks big monkey dung,just like i said it would. thank god johnny did leave the smiths. This album stunk worse than that funky cheese stuff coming from under mindy's lip. Johnny

I've listend to it twice now. I think, 'Boomslang' is a good album. 'The Last Ride' is GREAT!

It ROCKS!!!

... just got back from the in-store signing... the songs all sound just as awesome live as well!!

Cheers!

Jay

Boomslang is just f***en incredible!!
Johnny rocks! lets not forget the Healers too! Can't wait to see them again, they're all such nice guys. The vibe they give out on and off stage is freakin' awesome!!

> has anyone else heard it? i bought it today. after one time through, i'd
> have to say... oasis is more interesting.

Is it out? I saw a rather negative review for it in the current Alternative Press (the issue with my favorite new band, The Distillers, on the cover).

Re: Variety review of Marr's new album/band

Johnny Marr Imitates His Imitators
Tue Feb 4, 2:35 AM ET

By Jeff Miller

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - As a co-founding member of the Smiths (alongside cult fave crooner Morrissey), Johnny Marr (news) influenced a whole generation of British guitarists with his signature sound of layered, jangling chordal ringing.

Though he brings his guitar tones along on new record "Boomslang" (iMusic), he doesn't sound the innovator anymore, nor does his live show have the pull of his earlier work.

The weakness lies in Marr's songwriting, which doesn't follow the patterns set by the Smiths but rather those established by his old band's followers. That means an Oasis sound-alike is followed by a warbling, Jeff Buckley-ish ballad, with Marr's pleasant but unremarkable vocals substituting for the Gallaghers' whine or Buckley's gorgeous drone.

Marr's playing -- as revolutionary as it once was -- now has been co-opted so many times that it has lost its flavor. Even when Marr was a Smiths member, it was never technical excellence that made him a standout, and two decades later, his open-chord riffs seem completely played out.

That was no problem for this show's capacity crowd, as enraptured with Marr's persona as his music, but for Marr, it should be reason for worry. He seems to be coasting on his notoriety right now, but to make a lasting impression as a solo artist, he needs to find his own voice amid the noisy rock of his admirers.

> has anyone else heard it? i bought it today. after one time through, i'd
> have to say... oasis is more interesting.

Hey, I'm the marr-basher here. "Oasis is more interesting". Bastard! That beats any of mine.

Re: It ROCKS!!!-Random

> ... just got back from the in-store signing... the songs all sound just as
> awesome live as well!!

> Cheers!

> Jay
Details Please!!!!(about the signing, Kilborn, ect)

Details, Details...

> Details Please!!!!(about the signing, Kilborn, ect)

okay:

Monday night: The Troubadour for his live-for-DVD show- ROCKED!! Packed house with a GREAT vibe.

Tuesday afternnon: Craig Kilborn show taping- played "Down On The Corner" - AWESOME! About a dozen Marr fans were allowed into the studio audience.

Tuesday night: straight from the studio taping to the Sunset Virgin Megastore for CD "Booomslang" signing- about 200 fans were in line and he spent a good amount of time with each one - even allowing pix and he signed EVERYTHING they brought... we were offered VIP access to the front of the line from a label Rep but we knew it would piss off the other few hundred fans in front of us so we just politely declined and waited the nearly 2 hours and just chatted with fellow fans and the time FLEW! When I did get up to Johnny he smiled and REMEMBERED MEETING ME LAST SUMMER! I told him I had just come from the Kilborn show and was hoping Craig would interview him and Johnny said "I would have if he had asked!".. oh, well... it was waaaaay cool to meet him again!

Cheers

Jay

pic96563.jpg

Re: Details, Details..thanks random.

> okay:

> Monday night: The Troubadour for his live-for-DVD show- ROCKED!! Packed
> house with a GREAT vibe.

> Tuesday afternnon: Craig Kilborn show taping- played "Down On The
> Corner" - AWESOME! About a dozen Marr fans were allowed into the
> studio audience.

> Tuesday night: straight from the studio taping to the Sunset Virgin
> Megastore for CD "Booomslang" signing- about 200 fans were in
> line and he spent a good amount of time with each one - even allowing pix
> and he signed EVERYTHING they brought... we were offered VIP access to the
> front of the line from a label Rep but we knew it would piss off the other
> few hundred fans in front of us so we just politely declined and waited
> the nearly 2 hours and just chatted with fellow fans and the time FLEW!
> When I did get up to Johnny he smiled and REMEMBERED MEETING ME LAST
> SUMMER! I told him I had just come from the Kilborn show and was hoping
> Craig would interview him and Johnny said "I would have if he had
> asked!".. oh, well... it was waaaaay cool to meet him again!

> Cheers

> Jay
thanks for the review. Sounds like an awesome 2 days. So does this mean everyone is going to see you on a DVD?
PS. I still think you should auditon for Port Charles.

welcome

> thanks for the review.
- my pleasure

Sounds like an awesome 2 days.
- yes indeed

So does this mean
> everyone is going to see you on a DVD?
- hahaha prolly not... I was toward the back... I can't wait to see it when it comes out!!

> PS. I still think you should auditon for Port Charles.
- okee dokee

cheers!!

Jay

> I've listend to it twice now. I think, 'Boomslang' is a good album. 'The
> Last Ride' is GREAT!

Johnnys NEW album "BOOMSLANG" is f***in class. Ive notice that the only people who say it sucks are the sorry bastards/c***s that are still stuck on the whole notion that Johnny left the Smiths. Ive one thing to say to you lot, GET OVER IT!!!
The nu Healers album is MEGA. Just shows you that obviously Mr Marr has moved on and let is heading towards the future. Give him a bloody break!

Re: welcome Random a small favor

> - okee dokee

> cheers!!

> Jay
Please audition, you would make a much better Rafe, not to mention give me all the spoilers. :0)

pic96948.jpg

> Johnnys NEW album "BOOMSLANG" is f***in class. Ive notice that
> the only people who say it sucks are the sorry bastards/c***s that are
> still stuck on the whole notion that Johnny left the Smiths. Ive one thing
> to say to you lot, GET OVER IT!!!
> The nu Healers album is MEGA. Just shows you that obviously Mr Marr has
> moved on and let is heading towards the future. Give him a bloody break!

Please let me assure you that I don't dislike wee marrsy because he left the smiths. I am honestly not bothered about that one wee bit. I was there all through the smiths years and, like morrissey, moved on without breaking my stride.

The outstanding quality of moz's solo stuff means that there is no pining or regret from me about the band's demise. I care not a jot.
I simply think he's shite without steven, but steven is not shite without him. I really can't put it any more simply than that.
I thought I'd keep it simple since your crudely-written post indicates a limited vocabulary.