"Maladjusted" versus "Ammunition"

zulu sierra

Born again atheist
I have noticed a lot of people in these forums who adore the song "Maladjusted" and a lot more who bash "Ammunition"......I was shocked to know that Maladjusted got 8.33 points in last year's poll while Ammunition only got 6.75 !!!

I can't seem to like Maladjusted (although I've tried). The lyrics may be attractive but , IMHO , the music is bland , repetitive and non-melodic , and that ruins it for me.

Ammunition , on the other hand , is very melodic with that distinctive Smiths/Moz jingly jangly guitar sound.I'm not sure what the lyrics mean though (something to do with revisiting his old house or neighborhood ?) but , to me , the superb music more than makes up for that.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome

I think the repetition and non-melodic quality of Maladjusted is probably why a lot of people like it. It makes it much more atmospheric and menacing.

Not all music has to be pretty and melodic, sometimes you can have too much of that.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Maladjusted is not just the best track on the album but possibly Morrissey's best (solo) song overall. While Ammunition is the most pointless track on one of his weaker albums, and a clearer deletion candidate than "Roy's Keen" or even "Papa Jack".

But that's just to restate the opinion you already acknowledged (and most of us have conundrums like this. For me it's "Speeway" and "Reel around the Fountain"). I don't have much of interest to say about why I don't like "Ammunition", since the reason is simply that to me it doesn't contain anything that makes it worthy of note, either musically or lyrically. I can however say a great deal about why I think "Maladjusted" is a great song.

Morrissey is above all a lyricist, and at his best he is a very musical lyricist - in the way that his (oh what the hell, let's just call it) poetry occasionally interacts with the music in a way that directly strenghtens both. And Maladjusted is possibly, through his entire career, where this is the case to the greatest extent.

The melody is, as you say, repetetive. But consider it as a framework for the lyrics rather than a stand-alone element. This lyric tells the story of a life, and it does so in the rather roundabout way of jumping between a present scene loaded with desperation and longing for escape (loot wine, be mine and then let's stay out for the night etc), mood-setting descriptions (lights stretch uninviting through the night etc), significant reflections on past with no immediate context (Well, I was fifteen - where could I go? etc), reflections on present state which cut to the core (When the gulf between the things I need etc) or on the unnamed other (Still, I maintain there's nothing wrong with you etc) and finally of the resulting, call it existential, state (With a head full of dread for all I ever said etc).

And for this, the music is the perfect vehicle. It imposes a unity that is only implicitly there in the lyric. Also, it strikes just the right balance (relative to the lyrics) of constriction, desperation, defiance and beauty. In other words, it encapsulates the underlying themes of the lyric.

And it also enhances the lyrics in a more straightforward poetic way. The rigidity of the music's structure enables, maybe even forces, Morrissey to sing in much the same way as poetry is recited - notice how each line follows the same pattern of rhytm and stress. But, it is not so restrictive that it cannot be varied, and it is - and this invariably occurs whenever the focus of the lyrics shift from present to past, or from description to reflection and so on. With a more lively melody this would both have been more difficult and less effective, and again it is the steady repetetiveness of the musical structure that allows the rhytmic structure of the vocals to drive the impetus of both the song and the story the lyric tells. I'm aware that this sounds rather technical and cold, but the effect isn't. I guess the point I'm making is that it is a staggeringly well-constructed song that hugely exceeds the sum of its parts. No wait, that sounded technical and cold too. Point is.... Maladjusted is really a remarkable little piece of art that brings out some of Morrissey's greatest qualities. These words require precisely this music, and vice versa. At least it seems that way, and that's a pretty good definition of a song that works if you ask me.

cheers

Last edited:
If I had to choose just one to live with forever, it would DEFINITELY be 'Maladjusted.' Lyrically, it's jam-packed to the hilt. Unbelievably vociferous.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Maladjusted is not just the best track on the album but possibly Morrissey's best (solo) song overall. While Ammunition is the most pointless track on one of his weaker albums, and a clearer deletion candidate than "Roy's Keen" or even "Papa Jack".

But that's just to restate the opinion you already acknowledged (and most of us have conundrums like this. For me it's "Speeway" and "Reel around the Fountain"). I don't have much of interest to say about why I don't like "Ammunition", since the reason is simply that to me it doesn't contain anything that makes it worthy of note, either musically or lyrically. I can however say a great deal about why I think "Maladjusted" is a great song.

Morrissey is above all a lyricist, and at his best he is a very musical lyricist - in the way that his (oh what the hell, let's just call it) poetry occasionally interacts with the music in a way that directly strenghtens both. And Maladjusted is possibly, through his entire career, where this is the case to the greatest extent.

The melody is, as you say, repetetive. But consider it as a framework for the lyrics rather than a stand-alone element. This lyric tells the story of a life, and it does so in the rather roundabout way of jumping between a present scene loaded with desperation and longing for escape (loot wine, be mine and then let's stay out for the night etc), mood-setting descriptions (lights stretch uninviting through the night etc), significant reflections on past with no immediate context (Well, I was fifteen - where could I go? etc), reflections on present state which cut to the core (When the gulf between the things I need etc) or on the unnamed other (Still, I maintain there's nothing wrong with you etc) and finally of the resulting, call it existential, state (With a head full of dread for all I ever said etc).

And for this, the music is the perfect vehicle. It imposes a unity that is only implicitly there in the lyric. Also, it strikes just the right balance (relative to the lyrics) of restrictive containment, desperation, defiance and beauty. In other words, it encapsulates the underlying themes of the lyric.

And it also enhances the lyrics in a more straightforward poetic way. The rigidity of the music's structure enables, maybe even forces, Morrissey to sing in much the same way as poetry is recited - notice how each line follows the same pattern of rhytm and stress. But, it is not so restrictive that it cannot be varied, and it is - and notice that this invariably occurs whenever the focus of the lyrics shift from present to past, or from description to reflection and so on.

In short - Maladjusted is really a remarkable little piece of art that brings out some of Morrissey's greatest qualities.

cheers

Great, great post. :thumb:

If I had to choose just one to live with forever, it would DEFINITELY be 'Maladjusted.' Lyrically, it's jam-packed to the hilt. Unbelievably vociferous.

I lobe both of them. However I prefrer "Ammunation" and that's because I think it's more lyrical thn "Maladjusted". IMO.

And for this, the music is the perfect vehicle. It imposes a unity that is only implicitly there in the lyric. Also, it strikes just the right balance (relative to the lyrics) of constriction, desperation, defiance and beauty. In other words, it encapsulates the underlying themes of the lyric.

And it also enhances the lyrics in a more straightforward poetic way. The rigidity of the music's structure enables, maybe even forces, Morrissey to sing in much the same way as poetry is recited - notice how each line follows the same pattern of rhytm and stress. But, it is not so restrictive that it cannot be varied, and it is - and this invariably occurs whenever the focus of the lyrics shift from present to past, or from description to reflection and so on. With a more lively melody this would both have been more difficult and less effective, and again it is the steady repetetiveness of the musical structure that allows the rhytmic structure of the vocals to drive the impetus of both the song and the story the lyric tells. I'm aware that this sounds rather technical and cold, but the effect isn't. I guess the point I'm making is that it is a staggeringly well-constructed song that hugely exceeds the sum of its parts. No wait, that sounded technical and cold too. Point is.... Maladjusted is really a remarkable little piece of art that brings out some of Morrissey's greatest qualities. These words require precisely this music, and vice versa. At least it seems that way, and that's a pretty good definition of a song that works if you ask me.

cheers
Goal of the Month....WINNER! :bow:
Gavin Hopps would swap his leather elbows to write like this.

I lobe both of them. However I prefrer "Ammunation" and that's because I think it's more lyrical thn "Maladjusted". IMO.

Really? Idk, really it is all a matter of taste. 'Ammunition' seems more pop-oriented to me (although, compared to 'Maladjusted', many of Moz's songs could be considered 'pop-oriented').

In the liner notes for the Maladjusted reissue, Moz says that 'Ammunition' was a strong song, a single that never was. I think 'Ammunition' would've been an excellent single. Slightly better than 'Satan Rejected My Soul,' which seems like he wrote it JUST to be a single. The ending of 'Ammunition' is DELECTABLE. 'for revenge...' :love:

But 'Maladjusted,' excellent opener, the mood set by the Fulham Road lights -- indescribable! :)

I love Maladjusted but it had to grow on me. I had to learn the song and then it really started to click. Now I hit the repeat button at least once when I'm listening to the album. The words are fantastic (no surprise there!). Ammunition I love equally but for different reasons. It immediately caught me and before long I was singing along to every word and playing it over and over and over. It is that kind of very easy, singable song. I might add that Morrissey's vocal on Ammunition is lovely. Just an all round very listenable song. Maladjusted is true poetry to music. Ammunition is easy listening. Love them both, though! Which one would I pick if I had to choose??? Probably Maladjusted just because it is IMHO more in keeping with Morrissey's depth. But having said that, please don't anybody make me pick just one!!!

cheers

Thanks Qvist for your in-depth analysis of the song..I am truly impressed with your prose..I listened to Maladjusted twice today and have to admit that although I still do not like it that much , but I RESPECT it ( Whatever that means :confused:)

Ammunition and He Cried are the two worst songs on the album. Both of them seem flat and uninspired. Musically they have very much the same feel to them. Maladjusted on the other hand is one of the best. Great lyrics and some really cool guitar work. I personally think the album would have been better if instead of Ammunition and He Cried coming on, Maladjusted came on for a 2nd and 3rd time.

Ammunition and He Cried are the two worst songs on the album. Both of them seem flat and uninspired. Musically they have very much the same feel to them. Maladjusted on the other hand is one of the best. Great lyrics and some really cool guitar work. I personally think the album would have been better if instead of Ammunition and He Cried came on, Maladjusted came on for a 2nd and 3rd time.

I would have been even better if Kit and I Can Have Both had been on the album, and they nearly were.

Peter

I would have been even better if Kit and I Can Have Both had been on the album, and they nearly were.

Peter

I wish that had happened.. because that would mean Kit was completed. I like Boz's version of it. I Can Have Both would have been a nice addition too.

If all the good b-sides were on the album and all the crap tracks were b-sides the album would at least be considered a strong effort.

Maladjusted is my second favorite Morrissey song. It has some of my favorite lyrics of his and it's just overall brilliant. I guess I'm one of the rare ones that first heard this song and was instantly hooked. I'm constantly memorized
by not just the lyrics but the delivery and the music behind it.

"With a soul full of loathing for stinging bureaucracy. making it anything other than easy for working girls like me. with my hands on my head.
I flop on your bed. with a head full of dread. for all i've ever said. maladjusted, never to be trusted."

Morrissey, in my opinion, at his absolute best lyrically.

Edit: Regarding the music, a quote from the man himself. "Boz had written a risky tune with a dramatic outro. I ignore the risky tune and utilize only the outro, making it the entire recorded song."

Last edited:
I just checked:
mmm.jpg

Ammunition is one of the only Moz songs I rate at only 3 :eek:
which means its really only worthy of like 1 or 0.5 since I give Moz songs a pretty big bump just for being songs by him :cool:

Ammunition and He Cried are the two worst songs on the album. Both of them seem flat and uninspired. Musically they have very much the same feel to them. Maladjusted on the other hand is one of the best. Great lyrics and some really cool guitar work. I personally think the album would have been better if instead of Ammunition and He Cried coming on, Maladjusted came on for a 2nd and 3rd time.

This.

I recall it starting the shows on the first leg of the '97 tour, it was a great track to open with, album and concert wise.Live performances can make or a break a song for me.Before shows on that tour I liked "Ambitious Outsiders " quite a bit, but by the third or fourth time I heard it live, seeing them drag out the stand up to play it, I was rolling my eyes hoping they would play something else.

Back
Top Bottom