Madstock

Albarn, only handled it more "deftly", because he was friends with the music press and they weren't hounding him like they were Moz.

I don't think that's quite right. In the time period of Madstock, Blur couldn't get arrested by the NME, they were all about Suede then they were all about grunge.

Blur going big in 1994 had as much to do with a sea change in the music press after Cobain killed himself than it did with Albarn's friendliness with them.

You have a good memory. Damon Albarn was on radio 4 this morning saying how the reality shows are bad for music, and how good Top of the Pops was. Although back in the early nineties, as afr as I can remember, pop music was AS bad if not worse than now with Stock Aitken & Waterman. Hence the out-of-proportion acclaim for bands like Blur when they arrived? There was a period when you never saw a guitar on tv

You have a good memory. Damon Albarn was on radio 4 this morning saying how the reality shows are bad for music, and how good Top of the Pops was. Although back in the early nineties, as afr as I can remember, pop music was AS bad if not worse than now with Stock Aitken & Waterman. Hence the out-of-proportion acclaim for bands like Blur when they arrived? There was a period when you never saw a guitar on tv

I have an admission: I have a good memory of all things Blur because they're my first love. If I had to choose between a Moz gig or a Blur one, there would only be one winner.

For me, the problem with the very early nineties (1990-1993ish) was that ALL music was rubbish. Pop music was awful and so was guitar music.

Fast forward to now & pop music is far more varied than guitar music is.
Guitar music now really needs someone to take it by the throat & make it exciting again.

I have an admission: I have a good memory of all things Blur because they're my first love. If I had to choose between a Moz gig or a Blur one, there would only be one winner.

For me, the problem with the very early nineties (1990-1993ish) was that ALL music was rubbish. Pop music was awful and so was guitar music.

Fast forward to now & pop music is far more varied than guitar music is.
Guitar music now really needs someone to take it by the throat & make it exciting again.

Well "indie" was rubbish that is true. Though Nirvana were fantastic of course.

I don't think that's quite right. In the time period of Madstock, Blur couldn't get arrested by the NME, they were all about Suede then they were all about grunge.

Blur going big in 1994 had as much to do with a sea change in the music press after Cobain killed himself than it did with Albarn's friendliness with them.

Yeah what your saying is indeed true but Albarn was still part of a London scene and still had friends in the press.

Also, the press didn't hound Albarn like they did Morrissey, that is just a fact.
Its also worth noting that the very thing people moaned at the Smiths for in the 80s and Morrissey for in the 90s- being very English, celebrating English culture and what not is the very thing that the Brit Poop lot got praised for.
As always double standards at play.

Trouble is, in the eyes of many, Morrissey or The Smiths weren't 'celebrating' anything - they were doing the opposite. Or, they were celebrating an alternative Britain that had disappeared 20 years earlier. Brit pop was a kind of post-eighties optimistic booze up, looking back to the past for sure, but 'reviving' it, fashions and all, for the party - not kind of lamenting its demise in the privacy of its bedroom. Perhaps the problem with people's misunderstanding of Morrissey is they don't notice the humour - there's a kind of fifites hang-dog character to it, like Hancock or early Frankie Howerd, tongue-in cheek pessimism. Too subtle for a gang of blokes on vespas? ('scuse the generalization...). People were maybe ready for a laugh and didn't want this miserable git spoiling it.

Trouble is, in the eyes of many, Morrissey or The Smiths weren't 'celebrating' anything - they were doing the opposite. Or, they were celebrating an alternative Britain that had disappeared 20 years earlier. Brit pop was a kind of post-eighties optimistic booze up, looking back to the past for sure, but 'reviving' it, fashions and all, for the party - not kind of lamenting its demise in the privacy of its bedroom. Perhaps the problem with people's misunderstanding of Morrissey is they don't notice the humour - there's a kind of fifites hang-dog character to it, like Hancock or early Frankie Howerd, tongue-in cheek pessimism. Too subtle for a gang of blokes on vespas? ('scuse the generalization...). People were maybe ready for a laugh and didn't want this miserable git spoiling it.

Yes I agree, not so much Morrissey more the Smiths. Brit Poop was a very London based thing, nobody cared about it outside London or at the most the South East.
it's the job of every generation to have ago at the last, the trouble is no one could have a go a Moz, really, as they all had stolen from him in one way or t'other.
There were some good pop stars in the 90s Brett,Jarvis,Thom York, Liam G, but of them were great and created a universe the way Morrissey did- he bought a world that a number of us have/still do live in ,into the pop world.
He also managed to become one of pops primary colours.
There were also some good songs in the 90s but the trouble was the influences were too palpable- for me I would just think oh, that sounds good, that reminds me of.... then I would go of a listen to the original and never return to the 90s song.

going to see madness with mr mozfish on friday night, shall i wear a moz tshirt, see if i get any reaction??? x:)

Tags
madstock
Back
Top Bottom