Johnny Marr's Guitar Lesson

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
OK, it's from today's NME, but I didn't buy it, honest Guvnor, my daughter did. Anyway - here we are...

"So You Wanna Play Guitar, Do You?"

Johnny Marr - Ex-Smiths, Now Modest Mouse

"When you start playing, don't be put off by the first couple of weeks' pain while you develop callouses. If you've never played before, your fingers do get sore. But that's the very first step; don't ever be put off.

Then, if you're gonna get a teacher, only get one who can show you songs by your favourite band. Under no circumstances learn classical guitar if you wanna play in a rock band. If you wanna learn a Franz Ferinand song or an Oasis song, then try and do that. You're better initially trying to stick with fairly simple songs that are chordy and strummy so you're not trying to learn any super-tricky riffs from the off.

Basically, pick some songs that you like and get somebody to show you them. Chord books are really good; the graphic nature of playing guitar is one of the things that makes it easy to learn. But even rock chord books are filled with some chords that you don't really need to know. If you want me to do it for you, stick with E, E minor, A, A minor, D,B and G. That'll do for now. Then, if a few weeks down the line you're getting on swimmingly with these, go ahead and tackle F.

Some people struggle with barre chords, and it puts them off, so don't do it. Just be a guitar player who at first learns all the other first-edition chords that are mentioned. And when you've got a bunch of songs together - and a band even - you can then start throwing barre chords in. When you're first starting out and want to learn all the chords, get a capo and put it really high up - that way you're not stretching across, because the frets are closer together on the neck. Learn an acoustic if you can, because then if you graduate to an electric, it's a much easier step than the other way round. Learning on an electric guitar is like learning to drive on an automatic car, it's almost too easy. Acoustics are a bit difficult to handle. Also, if you've got a mate who's better, play with them as much as you can, because you learn more in playing with someone else in half an hour than you do playing guitar on your own for five hours.

What else do you need to know? Well, make sure you've ot the right clothes and haircut for the job. Obviously."

Peter

Haha, but your daughter got pocket money from you? :p

Thank you very much for typing out the article.

"When you start playing, don't be put off by the first couple of weeks' pain while you develop callouses. If you've never played before, your fingers do get sore. But that's the very first step; don't ever be put off.

As simple and hilarious as this advice sounds, it's really useful. :p My fingers didn't actually bleed although sometimes it felt like it! :D If only Johnny could have been there to guide me through all the pain. :D Bless him.

I was reading this in the shop today, i wasn't going to but it but i wanted to read it so i stood in Fopp for ages reading it. Tnere was a bit about Morrissey at the gig bit. It was basically saying that Morrissey was on tour soon and it had a nice little picture.

I was reading this in the shop today, i wasn't going to but it but i wanted to read it so i stood in Fopp for ages reading it. Tnere was a bit about Morrissey at the gig bit. It was basically saying that Morrissey was on tour soon and it had a nice little picture.

Indeed - their BEST TOUR, no less. It's a very small olive-branch...

2162573449_a204f845ee_o.jpg

Peter

Now why would anybody want to do that? :confused:

I've only ever seen FF twice - first time they were supporting Morrissey at the MEN Arena (the Who put the M... gig). Lots of Morrissey fans were jumping and dancing...

I went to this songwriting thing at the Edinburgh festival a couple of years ago and the two of Franz Ferdiand band spoke about how they wrote songs. And they started talking abut the Smiths:) I was glad my sister draged me to it. I also got draged to an other thing with Alex.K and he was talking about how appartently Morrissey requests a small tree on his rider- is that true?

I went to this songwriting thing at the Edinburgh festival a couple of years ago and the two of Franz Ferdiand band spoke about how they wrote songs. And they started talking abut the Smiths:) I was glad my sister draged me to it. I also got draged to an other thing with Alex.K and he was talking about how appartently Morrissey requests a small tree on his rider- is that true?

wasnt that a kids book festival ?

anyway i read the johnny marr thing in wh smith today ... sticking it to the system and saving £1.80 ..

Dear Mr Marr:

Sorry mate: But this ‘lesson’ sucks the big fat one. You didn't get to be Johnny Marr by following 'colour-by-numbers' pseudo-advice guides to playing the guitar. And neither did I. Like you: I worship Rory / Can / John McLaughlin / Carlos / EWF / Fatback Band/ Allen Toussaint. The list is endless.....So-why the Oasis/F-F fixation?

It's time to 'move on up' as Curtis said. Big time...

If you want to be 'innovative': here's how:

Study the Joni Mitchell songbook. Apply dulcimer tunings to guitar. Remove 2 strings. Re-tune a la Ricky Wilson B-52's (R.I.P): The great undiscovered guitar genius of the C20th.

Re-combine all previous formulaic responses into newly astonishing hybridized 'Guitardjamm'-[unreleased] 'meme'-theme.

Ask Jon Por Birgisson and Kjartan / Jimmy Page for advice on 'sound-wash' E:Bow techniques. Peter Buck can also help.

For you, Johnny: I'm offering a free lesson. But only if you're quick on the uptake and a dedicated, studious pupil.....

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/

Dear Mr Marr:

Sorry mate: But this ‘lesson’ sucks the big fat one. You didn't get to be Johnny Marr by following 'colour-by-numbers' pseudo-advice guides to playing the guitar. And neither did I. Like you: I worship Rory / Can / John McLaughlin / Carlos / EWF / Fatback Band/ Allen Toussaint. The list is endless.....So-why the Oasis/F-F fixation?

Study the Joni Mitchell songbook. Apply dulcimer tunings to guitar. Remove 2 strings. Re-tune a la Ricky Wilson B-52's (R.I.P): The great undiscovered guitar genius of the C20th.

Re-combine all previous formulaic responses into newly astonishing hybridized 'Guitardjamm'-[unreleased] 'meme'-theme.

Ask Jon Por Birgisson and Kjartan / Jimmy Page for advice on 'sound-wash' E:Bow techniques. Peter Buck can also help.

For you, Johnny: I'm offering a free lesson. But only if you're quick on the uptake and a dedicated, studious pupil.....

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/

That is advice that might go down well with Johnny Marr, but his 'lesson' is intended, I would imagine, as a starter for people who have only just picked up a guitar and are learning the basics. Marr doesn't need to ramble on about 'innovative' ways to play the guitar; he's discussed his influences a thousand times before and he proved his own talent a long time ago.I don't understand what your point is. He's not telling people 'how to be Johnny Marr'. He's giving a basics guide for people just beginning to learn guitar.

Under no circumstances learn classical guitar if you wanna play in a rock band.

Ha. That's interesting. I think it can be useful too, but not at the beginning (it's boring, it was to me, I gave up classic guitar after the first lesson and we switched to rock.) I also think everybody should find their own way. I learnt by myself, my dad plays a bit and had a book to start playing.

Nice advice. Thanks Peter.
:guitar: love the new emoticons.

Dear Mr Marr:

How dare you "blaspheme" Johnny Marr!

OK...serious question here.

I want to buy a guitar....as a beginner can anyone provide some advice? I was looking at some today but I'm not sure "what" I should be looking for. I know some basic chords so I was noodling around on a Telecaster, an Epiphone and a cheap Les Paul.....

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

OK...serious question here.

I want to buy a guitar....as a beginner can anyone provide some advice? I was looking at some today but I'm not sure "what" I should be looking for. I know some basic chords so I was noodling around on a Telecaster, an Epiphone and a cheap Les Paul.....

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey that's a BIG question you're asking. Though important.
one important question is, how much money are you ready to spend?

Second, perhaps, is what kind of sound are you looking for?
Wanna play beatles songs, wanna sound like Hendrix, or Clapton when he played in Cream?
As far as Fenders and Gibson goes, it's hard to go wrong if you buy made in US.
Don't get me wrong, some of the most bang for the buck guitars out there are made in japan-fenders. And you can get hold of some really god mexicans as well- if you're lucky. But some of the are pure shit as well.
Also don't forget that without a good amp you won't sound good.
Obviously you want a tube amp ;), so unless you're ready to spend a fortune, check out a fender blues deville or a peavy classic. great for playing in a small venue or just at home.
When i try a guitar, i always play it without plugging it in an amp. if the guitar has got a good tone, a good accoustic feel to it, it will sound good, plugged in as well. Remember that you can always buy new pickups.

I think you should visit a guitarforum though.

Back
Top Bottom