Johnny Marr asked about Morrissey's new album in NME (June 14, 2014)

From Johnny Marr's official site:

JOHNNY MARR FEATURED IN THIS MONTHS NME
Read Johnny’s feature in this months NME magazine.

Guitar hero and NME god like genius Johnny fills us in on the fourthcoming follow-up to last years solo album ‘The Messenger”

Excerpt:

What do you think of Morrissey's new album, if you've heard any of it?
"(Pause) Did you hear that? That question was the sound of the bar lowering."

NME-Feature-11_06_14.jpg

U Wot Mt8? LOL! We didn't post this and "BB" has no recollection of ever having met Morrissey at any stage in the last 44 years, though he does have relatives in Manchester and danced there as a little boy. Many, many times.

Also, I'm a mental case and tried to post some 'mad shit' the other night but security found out and stopped me. This is probably my last post here because I'm probably going to Broadmoor soon. It's probably for the best....Anyroads, someone asked if Morrissey was in Birmingham watching the World Cup. No, he's NOT. If he was then Janice Long would have it all over her Twitter feed and "BrummieBoy" would take lots of photos of Morrissey on The Green Mile and post them here, like what Brummies always do to/with Celebrity Visitors....

Morrissey is also NOT living in Roger Moore's old 007 house in an exclusive suburb of Birmingham. He is also deffo NOT using Cliff Richard's canal barge in Gas Street Basin as a crash pad after the clubs because hotels are too monitored.

Who starts these rumours? Not me, not "BB". Maybe it's Morrissey being naughty in his luxury California compound inbetween colonic irrigation and hot stone chakra alignments.

What's with this Thumbs Up thing? It's a way of life in Brum giving folks the Thumbs Up then flicking it to 2 fingers. Very playground. Has WPINOYB leaked yet? I'm sure I heard it blasting out of a very, very expensive Italian sports car on Broad Street last night.....probably another florid hallucination.

It's great fun this site. Fan Fiction From Fanatics. You couldn't make this stuff up.....now back to Glasto to pick "BB" up. And his friends.

tara a bit
Shazza McCormick
Mental Patient and "the keeper of secrets" aka: The Secretary.

You have serious mental issues.

I think morrissey inspired marr to heights he would never have otherwise reached.

They were both amazing together, and brought the best out of each other. But I certainly think Johnny was young enough, talented enough, and determined enough, that even if he had never met Morrissey, he would have 'made it' in another band.

Morrissey on the other hand, by his own admission in numerous interviews, had pretty much given up, and if Johnny hadn't rescued him from his bedroom, he'd still be there now, writing plays about toast that nobody wanted to read.

All of which is besides the point. The Smiths were great, but they ended 27 years ago. It's understandable that both Morrissey and Marr are slightly touchy that even after all that time, neither of them can do a single interview without someone trying to bring up the other one. If you'd had a divorce that many years ago, wouldn't you be a bit hacked off at people constantly mentioning your ex and trying to get a rise out of you?

This has to be a difficult situation for both of them. Obviously, neither would discount the importance of their collaboration in the Smiths, but after all this time, it must be exhausting to always hear the same line of questioning. Morrissey is still frequently introduced as the former front man of the Smiths, even though he has established himself as an iconic solo artist.

In this case, I really do believe that Johnny was being dismissive about the question, not Morrissey's new record; however, he is not always as gracious as some people suggest. If I'm not mistaken, the first Electronic single was a blatant slap at Morrissey, and more recently, Marr stated that he really wasn't fond of singers who could be classified as 'crooners'. I know that Morrissey gives as good as he gets, I'm just saying that there seems to be some lingering resentment on both sides. Unfortunately for JM, there was a Jeopardy category the other night that required the contestants to match famous musical artists with their original bands, and the answer to the Smiths question was Morrissey, not Johnny Marr. Both men are extremely talented, and together they made musical history, but I think it's fair to say that Morrissey is considered to be the more relevant musical figure.

lynnda

In this case, I really do believe that Johnny was being dismissive about the question, not Morrissey's new record; however, he is not always as gracious as some people suggest. If I'm not mistaken, the first Electronic single was a blatant slap at Morrissey, and more recently, Marr stated that he really wasn't fond of singers who could be classified as 'crooners'.

It's certainly true that there was a fair amount of bitterness and sniping at each other in the press during the late '80's/'90's, but there has been remarkably little bad blood between them in public in the last 10 years, despite journalists trying to get under their skins. It's almost like the pair of them have signed a non-aggression pact, or, more likely, realised slagging each other off in the press was totally pointless and didn't do either of them any good. The only slight exception to that would be Morrissey's autobiography, where he certainly puts the boot in on several occasions...but even here he invariably gives Johnny an 'out', claiming that he was being manipulated by other people. Despite hundreds of interviews, I can't recall Johnny saying anything negative about Morrissey recently. Translating his stated dislike of 'crooners' as a dig at Moz is a bit of a stretch: when they were working together Morrissey was about as far from a crooner as it's possible to get.

This has to be a difficult situation for both of them. Obviously, neither would discount the importance of their collaboration in the Smiths, but after all this time, it must be exhausting to always hear the same line of questioning. Morrissey is still frequently introduced as the former front man of the Smiths, even though he has established himself as an iconic solo artist.

In this case, I really do believe that Johnny was being dismissive about the question, not Morrissey's new record; however, he is not always as gracious as some people suggest. If I'm not mistaken, the first Electronic single was a blatant slap at Morrissey, and more recently, Marr stated that he really wasn't fond of singers who could be classified as 'crooners'. I know that Morrissey gives as good as he gets, I'm just saying that there seems to be some lingering resentment on both sides. Unfortunately for JM, there was a Jeopardy category the other night that required the contestants to match famous musical artists with their original bands, and the answer to the Smiths question was Morrissey, not Johnny Marr. Both men are extremely talented, and together they made musical history, but I think it's fair to say that Morrissey is considered to be the more relevant musical figure.

lynnda

Yes, Johnny did say he had never enjoyed any of Morrissey's solo albums in an interview some years back. Morrissey said he didn't think Johnny would expect him to enjoy 'Electronics', and bemoaned the fact he was giving his music to people who 'can't write lyrics very well'. That last bit kind of ties in with my doubts as to what Johnny would have achieved without Morrissey. For example, if he'd teamed up with Clark Datchler, what kind of music would he have been inspired to write and how good would the overall end product have been? That doesn't mean I'm saying Morrissey would have achieved anything of note without Johnny, especially musically.

You have serious mental issues.

Yes, I stated that clearly. It says so in the reply you quoted. Do try to keep up!

"I'm a mental case......This is probably my last post here because I'm probably going to Broadmoor soon. It's probably for the best."

Presumably, you didn't read it before making your redundant observaton. No matter. Nobody cares what you think. I don't. And I don't care what anyone else on this forum thinks. Or what Morrissey thinks. I'm fed up of this job and can't wait to be back on the ward with nothing to bother me other than lining up for the next dose of anti-psychotic medication to trip on.

tara a bit...again! LOL!
Shazza
Sexretary To "BrummieBoy"

Yes but did Morrissey actually lock himself in his bedroom for all that time? From what I understand is that he was out going to shows, hanging out with Linder's crowd and was known around Manchester as the local weirdo. I feel as though he would have made it without Johnny.

The man hasn't put his name to a great song since the Smiths split, and the reason for that is because it was Morrissey who transposed his music into great songs; when relying on others (or himself) to craft vocal melodies and lyrics, he is never going to deliver songs in the same league as those of The Smiths: in other words, the Smiths are his lasting legacy, and he's got Morrissey (and to a lesser extent Andy Rourke, John Porter and Stephen Street) to thank for that. If it wasn't for the Smiths and Morrissey, nobody would give a toss about him, and he's happily traded on that for the best part of 30 years. He is 'Johnny Marr, ex-Smith'. A bit late to be getting touchy about it.

In my opinion, Johnny Marr was the single most important member of The Smiths. He's the one who laid the foundation for the band, by writing the music and playing magnificent lead guitar. Why was everyone getting so upset at Johnny? Morrissey says whatever he feels like saying, so why can't Johnny? Plus he's stated hundreds of times that he's very proud to be 'Johnny Marr, ex-Smith.' Also, you forgot Mike Joyce. His name needs to be added to the 'lesser extent' list alongside Andy and Street. Porter is a question mark?

Marr runs circles around morri-puke...class all the way...and after this last morri-fake tour debacle there is no way Johnny would ever consider reuniting with such a pathetic excuse of an entertainer...some of the best musicians choked on their own puke...morri-clown will end up dying by choking on his own anxiety...vegetarian anxiety of course...hope this post makes you morri-hitlers writhe in angst

Marr runs circles around morri-puke...class all the way...and after this last morri-fake tour debacle there is no way Johnny would ever consider reuniting with such a pathetic excuse of an entertainer...some of the best musicians choked on their own puke...morri-clown will end up dying by choking on his own anxiety...vegetarian anxiety of course...hope this post makes you morri-hitlers writhe in angst

Johnny is also vegetarian, fool

marr runs circles around morri-puke...class all the way...and after this last morri-fake tour debacle there is no way johnny would ever consider reuniting with such a pathetic excuse of an entertainer...some of the best musicians choked on their own puke...morri-clown will end up dying by choking on his own anxiety...vegetarian anxiety of course...hope this post makes you morri-hitlers writhe in angst

u mad.

He obviously does not listen to Morrissey records as he has a 'swallow on his neck' more I will not say.

I'd be a prick too, if every 10th facebook message or youtube comment was about how great Moz would be singing on top of this track instead, how much better Moz's lyrics are, how much better Moz's voice is...etc. And these kind of comments only refer back to The Smiths, never The The, Electronic, Modest Mouse, etc...

It's like after The Smiths no one gave a f*** about him, and now that he is more in the spotlight, they only give a f*** if he reunites The Smiths or says something nice about Morrissey.

To be fair though ending the Smiths is a choice he made and he hasn't done anything that can eclipse the Smiths so as much as Johnny doesn't want to hear people voice such thoughts he knows in the back of his mind that it's true. It only hurts because it's true.

On another note Preston is looking good as usual.

On a playful note how funny would it be if Johnny approached Preston to be the lead singer of the Smiths along with Mike and Andy and left Morrissey in the gutter? (Or perhaps in Istanbul? One can never be sure...)

Last edited:
To be fair though ending the Smiths is a choice he made and he hasn't done anything that can eclipse the Smiths so as much as Johnny doesn't want to hear people voice such thoughts he knows in the back of his mind that it's true.It only hurts because it's true.

It's not true. Marr has played on albums that are just as good as Morrissey's solo stuff since then. Neither one has kept their Smiths heights (but Moz has been closer with his Stephen Street stuff.)

Here is a sampling of Marr post Smiths work that is just as strong as any of Moz's.

Last edited by a moderator:

And why would any one of us "writhe in angst" reading a post by a semi-literate clown? Your opinion means squat. Deal with it or choke on it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom