Johnny Marr asked about Morrissey's new album in NME (June 14, 2014)

From Johnny Marr's official site:

JOHNNY MARR FEATURED IN THIS MONTHS NME
Read Johnny’s feature in this months NME magazine.

Guitar hero and NME god like genius Johnny fills us in on the fourthcoming follow-up to last years solo album ‘The Messenger”

Excerpt:

What do you think of Morrissey's new album, if you've heard any of it?
"(Pause) Did you hear that? That question was the sound of the bar lowering."

NME-Feature-11_06_14.jpg

Your honour. I didn't write this, though it is funny, What? Contempt of court? f*** you. 'Mozambiguous': Are you Sharon? She's supposed to be on a top security ward. The one she was on when Savile and Rolf tried to sort her life out. Anyroads. When she worked for me, she was supposed to man the phones. What that means is wearing a head-set and collating all of the various responses of The BrummieBoy Massive to news about "Morrissey" which came into the office from all points and were posted from a neighbours IP address until he found out and called the cops. LOL! "Morrissey" was chosen at random for an online experiment about the nature of celebrity. We/they are Art Terrorists, or Art-Hounds if you will. Shazza was supposed to type up the multiple phone line feeds going into her switchboard then leave it for BrummieBoy to sort into something sensible. But he wasn't interested and refused to do it. He says he'll do nothing until his daughter leaves for University in 2 years, but that's bollocks. He's just bought "The Garrison" or so I hear and is planning absolute mayhem behind his shy, gentle middle-class Dad persona. He appears to live in Small Heath now and is found hanging out at the "Istanbul" cafe on the Coventry Road. We thought he was taking the piss, but there is such a place and he's always there with some weirdo in a flat-cap and sunglasses who never speaks but vanishes into limos every time anyone tries to photograph him.

You can be "BrummieBoy" if you want. The real "BrummieBoy" doesn't care. He says it's all about Love now and he wants to heal the world, not be a sarcastic bastard about "Morrissey" or Fame anymore. They've never met, or at least that's what "BrummieBoy" claims, though he admits he suffers from amnesia and *might* have met The Superstar but can't remember. How likely! Only "Morrissey" could confirm or deny and he's probably met so many nutty "BrummieBoys" over the decades that he couldn't tell one from another......

As I say, anyone can be "BrummieBoy" even girls, even Villans and Baggies because I/he/we/they/us are all about Love. Type "BrummieBoy" into the Interwebz and you'll see there's LOADS OF THEM, including "Sean The Brummie" the naughty racist Celtic fan that some twit here thought was the real "BrummieBoy". There is no "real person"behind the persona, as it's a State of Mind. If there is a real "BrummieBoy" I'd advise everyone to stay the fcuk away if you have any sense because he *might* be a serious criminal with a police / prison /borstal record as long as Morrissey's dick. He got rid of the muscles, cultivated a gut and generally stopped the George Clooney/Rooney/M******y impersonations because he'd had enough shags to last several lifetimes and was just bored of sex , even with Sharon. That's why she took revenge by dissing "BrummieBoy" by writing mad shit on this website (and others) for 7 years whilst he was in a Monastery or Being Dad. When he found out he just said " Who cares? It's only the Internet. f*** the Internet, it's not important 'going forward'."

Anyway, I met someone today who told me there IS a real "BrummieBoy" and that he's resolved his Photophobia and allowed some friends in Ireland to put up a picture on The Social Media. He's claiming he's going to outdo Miley Cyrus now with the #Selfie stuff, but nobody can quite absorb the implications. It probably means he's going to get on stage and sing in a karaoke bar at some stage. He drives a 15 year old car because of the memories of lifting his babies out of the seats means he won't let go of it, though he hires Morgans and Italian sports-cars when he's cruising Broad Street on a Saturday night with that flatcap weirdo who seems to live on a canal-boat or so the rumour is at the moment. He never speaks, so he's a closed book. As is "BrummieBoy", except he's a Muslim guy in Ramadan according to the latest reports but that makes no sense either. Somebody said that he wrote a song today called "Father Guardian Angel" after years of refusal, after driving that flat-cap guy around Brum all weekend listening to "WPINOYB". No idea how he got a copy but he deffo did. Weeks ago.

He thinks it's a remarkable tour de force and wishes "Morrissey" all the best if the fame gig actually happens on a global scale, but he also doesn't give a f*** whether or not it does. You don't have to wait until @20:21 21/12 2021 to become "BrummieBoy"as Enlightenment is available Right Here, Right Now. In fact, if you just blast WPINOYB at full volume driving around Spaghetti Junction when you celebrate Iftal tomorrow night with some San Pellegrino and a few dates, you might have a Sufi-tastic awakening too! "BrummieBoy" is a great fan of Ramadan and is helping some folk to heal their bodies and minds this year by guiding them through the process for the next month. It's full on in Brum's muslim wards once Iftar arrives and for 5 hours, it's like your in Istanbul or somewhere. LOL! Then at dawn, he goes to bed for a few hours before a full working day making shed loads of cash which he sends to Syria. Srsly. That's what he does.

Enjoy the music on CD and enjoy the live convert experiences as and when they resume. Everything else? Well, the Fan Fiction on this site is top-notch, both the I Luv Moz stuff and the bitter, twisted HaterzROurMotivatorz stuff. In a way,it's a shame that "Morrissey" never reads any of it because it *might* cheer him up as he recuperates to know he's spawned some of the funniest, most absurd 'fans' ever as well as a wonderfully appreciative Audience. But he'll never read any of it, will he? He's just stuck in some hotel room alone, looking out at the Wild Bunch roaring around in sports cars wishing he could be part of it. One day, one day....

I'll write a full review of WPINOYB on it's 'official' release date and then that's it as "Morrissey" has risen from the dead, even if the rumours are he's at death's door. I'll do a proper literary review as it's worth it. It's a real work of art and to me, "Morrissey" is kind of like a work of art...when he's not dissing orphan African babies, that is! But to conclude: I'm not "BrummieBoy" and neither are you. But we all are if we want to be. His real name is.....Stephen Sutton, but he died recently. Others strive to keep his joy alive. Follow Your Bliss. Enjoy the new music. And no, I'm not "Morrissey" and have no current recollection of ever having met him, with the caveat of amnesia from a car crash and police torture, milord. I/we/us/they also have an irrevocable policy of NCND: Neither Confirm Nor Deny with regard to any guests of any description about who may choose to visit Mordor & The Shire. Or to live here in the sacred heart of EngEireland. So no more questions "Mozambiguous" and feel free to take over the persona of "BrummieBoy" on this site. PM me your email....

With every good wish
Yours, in Jubilo

"BrummieBoy"

aka: M****y NOT Morrissey!

.cc "Morrissey"

ROFLMAO!

I have missed you. Your style is unmistakable.

To me comparing and contrasting Morrissey and Marr’s relevance while in The Smiths is a classic case of “apples and oranges”. I mean, how do you weigh poet against muso? One is the Magical Wordsmith and the other is the Wizard of Sound. What is the common denominator? Morrissey and Marr each possess their own singular brilliance and are among the finest craftsmen of their respective trades. It was the combination of their creative forces of equal measure, albeit of different nature, that made The Smiths that cauldron of unique, shit-hot awesomeness I could never precisely describe. (And let’s not forget to give kudos to the rhythm section, either.) In my experience poetic-leaning fans tend to ascribe more importance to Morrissey, whilst musically-inclined ones to Johnny; and I respect both viewpoints. That said, I wouldn’t rate Morrissey and Marr’s post-Smiths careers on the same scale – Morrissey clearly wins out in that arena. As I see it, Johnny is only now coming into his own with his solo material, and – be the hardcore Mozzer-gal that I am – it is still lovely to witness.

p.s.
I know this is a wretched post, so no need for precious milliseconds being wasted stating it.
No wretched post this!
Finely written and good points well made.

Why was it? If it was it were a polite one.

Johnny could have said "I thought we were discussing me", or "well, that's changing the subject" but lowering the bar is a put down-I am sorry. Morrissey and Johnny perfectly complimented one another and even though the Smiths era is over the beautiful songs are never over for some of us. Paint A Vulgar Picture is proof that Johnny is one of the best guitarists-ever. But, without Morrissey where would this have gone?

Last edited:
just answer the damn question, what is the big damn deal. People are so full of themselves.
I agree. After all it was the only question that was related to his Smith days and did not have anything to do with a reunion.
I think a lot people here would like to know the answer. I would.

There's no need to answer the question, as the answer is f***ing obvious. Of course he hasn't listened to it. By all accounts the relationship between Morrissey and Marr is very distant, consisting of nothing more than a very occasional email, presumably about Smiths business matters. Can anyone really see Morrissey sending Johnny a pre-release copy of his new album and saying "Yo, Johnny - check out these rad tunes - you'll love this album"?

What planet are people living on?

There's no need to answer the question, as the answer is f***ing obvious. Of course he hasn't listened to it. By all accounts the relationship between Morrissey and Marr is very distant, consisting of nothing more than a very occasional email, presumably about Smiths business matters. Can anyone really see Morrissey sending Johnny a pre-release copy of his new album and saying "Yo, Johnny - check out these rad tunes - you'll love this album"?

Why, we must be clinically insane!
How dare anyone wonder what Marr thinks of Morrisseys album.

Johnny could have said "I thought we were discussing me", or "well, that's changing the subject" but lowering the bar is a put down-I am sorry. Morrissey and Johnny perfectly complimented one another and even though the Smiths era is over the beautiful songs are never over for some of us. Paint A Vulgar Picture is proof that Johnny is one of the best guitarists-ever. But, without Morrissey where would this have gone?
Lowering the bar is not a put down, it doesn't matter how he chose to dismiss the question, the point is he did, it does not mean he is being shitty to Morrissey. And even if it was he must have had his reasons to put him down, he seems a reasonable man. people keep saying 'without morrissey', without each other they probably both wouldn't have gotten far. just because he refuses to answer the question it doesn't mean he isn't greatful about his past( i mean Morrissey's new album has nothing to do with the smiths), people seriously need to get off his back. they are not best friends, so what? why is johnny suddenly the bad guy? neither of them answer questions about each other.

Last edited:
Lowering the bar is not a put down, it doesn't matter how he chose to dismiss the question, the point is he did, it does not mean he is being shitty to Morrissey. And even if it was he must have had his reasons to put him down, he seems a reasonable man. people keep saying 'without morrissey', without each other they probably both wouldn't have gotten far. just because he refuses to answer the question it doesn't mean he isn't greatful about his past( i mean Morrissey's new album has nothing to do with the smiths), people seriously need to get off his back. they are not best friends, so what? why is johnny suddenly the bad guy? neither of them answer questions about each other.

Lowering the bar means lowering the standards. I have lived long enough to know what this means. I always gave Johnny credit for being classy and easy going, maybe he is. Snarky comments do not seem like his vibe. I think this is why people really noticed it. It doesn't seem like they have/or want a relationship and that is sad considering what they accomplished together.

Last edited:

Earth. It's the loneliest planet, don't you know?

Johnny Marr's album is a hell of a lot better than Morrissey's with songs like Messenger and New Town Velocity. in comparison to World Peace and Earth is the loneliest planet.

Unless I see a video of Johnny saying this, it's impossible to know for sure whether it was really said as printed, so I'll withhold judgement. It's not as though publications have never manipulated or made up quotes to sell issues.

Ahhh... My mistake! I actually read the quote wrong! I mistook the reply as... "Do you hear that? It's the sound of the bar lowering"... as in Moz's latest albums are lowering the bar. I completely missed the phrase "that question" for some reason. WHEW. I'm glad I came back here to re-read it. Now I'm not disappointed with Johnny! Ha.

a lonely one?

excuse my ignorance, but when people comment on moz' solo career being patchy are they assuming that if the smiths had stayed together for a further 27 years the general quality of their output have would not have seriously declined? in fact I hate to think what they might be putting out now.

they seem perfect because they stopped just in time (Johnny himself said he stopped because the chemistry was drying up), leaving only work is a four letter word and i keep mine hidden as anything less than desirable (showing that johnny was right and that they might well have got worse).

Last edited:
Lowering the bar means lowering the standards. I have lived long enough to know what this means. I always gave Johnny credit for being classy and easy going, maybe he is. Snarky comments do not seem like his vibe. I think this is why people really noticed it. It doesn't seem like they have/or want a relationship and that is sad considering what they accomplished together.
when I said it wasnt a put down I meant to morrissey. It was a snarky reply to the interviewer, I mean they know they dont like to talk about each other, im not suprised someone would get a jibe from him at some point.

when I said it wasnt a put down I meant to morrissey. It was a snarky reply to the interviewer, I mean they know they dont like to talk about each other, im not suprised someone would get a jibe from him at some point.

It was a reply to an interviewer asking something about Morrissey- and the reply is the standards just lowered. Yes, Johnny can say whatever he wants, but I think he should show a little more respect, humanly speaking.

Last edited:
It was a reply to an interviewer asking something about Morrissey- and the reply is the standards just lowered. Yes, Johnny can say whatever he wants, but I think he should show a little more respect, humanly speaking.
maybe but im pretty sure the interviewer got over him saying his question was 'lowering the bar', he knew he wasn't going to get an answer anyway and johnny wouldn't like to be asked.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom