Johnny Borrell comments on Moz

This may seem strange for those of you in places where one cannot escape Razorlight, but they are nothing in the states.

They are never played on the radio, have never had a hit, and probably have sold only five records. I've never seen them on TV.

The most press they have ever recieved is when Borrell started dating Kirsten Dunst around the time of the Spiderman movie. I read things like "Who is that ugly guy with Kirsten? He's in a band?" and had to laugh. :p

that really is the point thought isn't it. just because it hasn't reached PLANET AMERICA, doesn't mean it holds less worth.

that really is the point thought isn't it. just because it hasn't reached PLANET AMERICA, doesn't mean it holds less worth.

Heh. Well, I imagine it's mostly the Americans who have never heard of him. OK, I just did a very unscientific survey.

5 Americans from my work - 3 boys, 2 girls. All in their 20-30's and working in the fashion industry in a major American city.

Have you ever heard of:
Amy Winehouse? Yes
Sing a song. "Rehab..."

Razorlight? No

Girls Aloud? No

Mika? 4 No, one "I can't stand him"

Robbie Williams? "Are you kidding?" "Oh, not Robin Williams?" 3 No, 2 Yes.
Sing a song. They can't.

Russell Brand? 4 No, 1 "yeah, I met him at a party, he's a baseball player right?"

Morrissey? 5 Yes.
Sing something. "This charming mahhhhn..." (ok, stop, please.)

Johnny Borrell was once in a good band but Razorlight are utter cack. I can safely say no one will utter his name in twenty odd years.

I have never heard of them and I don't think I will remember them in 20 minutes.

i think the point is that you made remarks to a few Americans on the forum for not knowing who the guy was, when you can't blame them if this Razorlight gets no press/ radio or mtv airplay. so for Americans, yes...it does hold less worth.

i think the point is that you made remarks to a few Americans on the forum for not knowing who the guy was, when you can't blame them if this Razorlight gets no press/ radio or mtv airplay. so for Americans, yes...it does hold less worth.

yes, but i'm sure many haven't heard of Badly Drawn Boy but he/they are still genius (least in my opinion). Just because the yanks are saying "who is Razorshite" doesn't mean his music is worth(less). Surely you need to have experienced something to pass judgement on its worth?

Heh. Well, I imagine it's mostly the Americans who have never heard of him. OK, I just did a very unscientific survey.

5 Americans from my work - 3 boys, 2 girls. All in their 20-30's and working in the fashion industry in a major American city.

Have you ever heard of:
Amy Winehouse? Yes
Sing a song. "Rehab..."

Razorlight? No

Girls Aloud? No

Mika? 4 No, one "I can't stand him"

Robbie Williams? "Are you kidding?" "Oh, not Robin Williams?" 3 No, 2 Yes.
Sing a song. They can't.

Russell Brand? 4 No, 1 "yeah, I met him at a party, he's a baseball player right?"

Morrissey? 5 Yes.
Sing something. "This charming mahhhhn..." (ok, stop, please.)

not exactly sure what this proves, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe the above goes hand in hand with the likes of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtXCs0Wqs9Q

yes, but i'm sure many haven't heard of Badly Drawn Boy but he/they are still genius (least in my opinion). Just because the yanks are saying "who is Razorshite" doesn't mean his music is worth(less). Surely you need to have experienced something to pass judgement on its worth?

but you weren't passing judgment on anyone who was saying they were a crappy band. you were simply passing judgment on the fact that Americans have not heard of him, which is bullshit. I'm pretty sure Badly Drawn Boy has been around longer, and are more popular in the indie music scene in general. and the fact that they did the entire soundtrack for a popular Hugh Grant movie also helped spread the word. but...thats not really the point.

I wouldn't expect a Brit to know who someone like Stephen Colbert is, even though he's very popular in America.

but you weren't passing judgment on anyone who was saying they were a crappy band. you were simply passing judgment on the fact that Americans have not heard of him, which is bullshit. I'm pretty sure Badly Drawn Boy has been around longer, and are more popular in the indie music scene in general. and the fact that they did the entire soundtrack for a popular Hugh Grant movie also helped spread the word. but...thats not really the point.

I wouldn't expect a Brit to know who someone like Stephen Colbert is, even though he's very popular in America.

my response to cyg was related to worth... :rolleyes:

not exactly sure what this proves, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe the above goes hand in hand with the likes of...

As I said, wholly unscientific survey, but my point is that there actually are some positive things about living in the states.

Like living in a world free of Robbie Williams/Take That/Girls Aloud/Sugababes/Razorlight/Klaxons/Crazy Frog.

Sure we have plenty of our own crap, but I think anyone who does not know the above is not stupid, but perhaps quite lucky in their ignorance. :)

As I said, wholly unscientific survey, but my point is that there actually are some positive things about living in the states.

Like living in a world free of Robbie Williams/Take That/Girls Aloud/Sugababes/Razorlight/Klaxons/Crazy Frog.

Sure we have plenty of our own crap, but I think anyone who does not know the above is not stupid, but perhaps quite lucky in their ignorance. :)

i'll take a world of the above over being governed by you know who. oooo political :rolleyes:

i'll take a world of the above over being governed by you know who. oooo political :rolleyes:

You know, we're not solely governed by GWB. We are governed by our local municipal goverments, our state house of representatives and governor, our national Congressional House Representative, and our Senator (mine is Obama!). The courts are available for challenges that need to be made to existing laws, and the President is in place as another check and balance. He is not a monarch. For most things that affect our daily lives, the local governments are more relevant and more focused on our needs. Our individual states have jurisdiction over a wide range of aspects of policy and the law. It's a multilayered system that works quite well in nearly every respect. But thank you for your interest.

You know, perhaps this Johnny Borrell guy just misheard. Maybe the crowd was saying, "WHERE the f* is Morrissey."

If I could make that trade?

In a heartbeat. No question.

Bring on the Robbie Williams - Crazy Frog - Johnny Borrell supergroup. :p

Johnny Borrell has nothing to be humble about. He's arrogant but with limited talent. He left a far superior band and as he left they shot to stardom. He rips off the Libertines music a fair bit but adds a more generic cheesy element to it. I really do not know how Razorshite made it, I really don't. It makes me think that the music listening public in the UK perhaps is more stupid than Morrissey gives us credit for.

Haha I don't know whether to be impressed, sympathetic or just embarrassed for you because you know who they are!

You know, we're not solely governed by GWB. We are governed by our local municipal goverments, our state house of representatives and governor, our national Congressional House Representative, and our Senator (mine is Obama!). The courts are available for challenges that need to be made to existing laws, and the President is in place as another check and balance. He is not a monarch. For most things that affect our daily lives, the local governments are more relevant and more focused on our needs. Our individual states have jurisdiction over a wide range of aspects of policy and the law. It's a multilayered system that works quite well in nearly every respect. But thank you for your interest.

You know, perhaps this Johnny Borrell guy just misheard. Maybe the crowd was saying, "WHERE the f* is Morrissey."

i can't wait til he's president. SIGH :D him and his sexy sexy voice. he's my ringtone. :p

Jonny Borrell actually managed to sum up in the space of the sentence why we're all gonna kick Iraq/ Hezbollah/ Iran/ Hamas/ blah blah blah/ mine/

ASS ( Shudder)

Cos theres nothing on the radio ("2006)

DOes the body rule the ind, or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno. (1984)

OH OH MY GUY THE DJ AFTER MIDNIGHT
I LOVE MY RADIO
MY MIDNIGHT RADIO." (1985)

Back
Top Bottom