Jobriath

H

happy shopper

In my local second hand shop there are 2 LPs by Jobriath, both £15. One is just called Jobriath, the other Creatures Of The Street (I think?). Does anybody here know if Jobriath really is worth investigating (as Moz seems to think) and if so, which of the 2 albums is worth buying (financially speaking I wish I could say 'I Can Have Both', but I ain't forking out £30 on two albums if they're both gonna be rubbish!).

Any buying advice would be greatly appreciated.

> In my local second hand shop there are 2 LPs by Jobriath, both £15. One is
> just called Jobriath, the other Creatures Of The Street (I think?). Does
> anybody here know if Jobriath really is worth investigating (as Moz seems
> to think) and if so, which of the 2 albums is worth buying (financially
> speaking I wish I could say 'I Can Have Both', but I ain't forking out £30
> on two albums if they're both gonna be rubbish!).

> Any buying advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never been able to find Jobriath stuff. I guess I haven't looked so hard.

But if I were you I'd try and get the one which is displayed in the cover art of that Japanese Morrissey EP. Do you have that?

Jobriath buying advice

Speaking as someone who has both Jobriath albums, they are to be approached with caution. Basically he sounds like a cross between Aladdin Sane era Bowie and Goodbye Yellow Brickroad era Elton John. He sings in a funny accent, very Southern American eg; instead of saying "man", he'll go "mi-yan".

Neither album is fantastic but of the 2 the first one (the one featured on the cover of that Japanese EP) is the better, especially side 2. The best songs to look out for are "Morning Starship", "Inside", "Movie Queen" and "Blow Away". The second album, Creatures Of The Street (horrid black cover, Jobriath looking spooky in tupperware clothes and shit painting on reverse) starts promisingly with "Heartbeat", which is great, but goes downhill thereafter.

You can see why Morrissey likes Jobriath as musically there's something of the drama of "Ambitious Outsiders", "Angel Angel..." about the music, but be warned, he's an acquired taste. £15 per album sounds about right if they're in good nick and cos they're rare/not on CD, they'll always be collectable. If it's a second hand shop then ask to listen to one (ask to hear side 2 of first album) and if you like what you hear get it. Will probably clear the shop mind.

Reminds me, there was a rumour a few years ago that Elektra were going to reissue both albums as a 2 on 1 CD and that Morrissey was going to write a sleeve note. Seems nothing came of it....

forgot to add...

... that you see a quick glimpse of the second Jobriath LP in the video for 'Pregnant For The Last Time' (he's flicking it towards the camera)!

Re: Jobriath buying advice

> Speaking as someone who has both Jobriath albums, they are to be
> approached with caution. Basically he sounds like a cross between Aladdin
> Sane era Bowie and Goodbye Yellow Brickroad era Elton John. He sings in a
> funny accent, very Southern American eg; instead of saying
> "man", he'll go "mi-yan".

> Neither album is fantastic but of the 2 the first one (the one featured on
> the cover of that Japanese EP) is the better, especially side 2. The best
> songs to look out for are "Morning Starship",
> "Inside", "Movie Queen" and "Blow Away". The
> second album, Creatures Of The Street (horrid black cover, Jobriath
> looking spooky in tupperware clothes and shit painting on reverse) starts
> promisingly with "Heartbeat", which is great, but goes downhill
> thereafter.

> You can see why Morrissey likes Jobriath as musically there's something of
> the drama of "Ambitious Outsiders", "Angel Angel..."
> about the music, but be warned, he's an acquired taste. £15 per album
> sounds about right if they're in good nick and cos they're rare/not on CD,
> they'll always be collectable. If it's a second hand shop then ask to
> listen to one (ask to hear side 2 of first album) and if you like what you
> hear get it. Will probably clear the shop mind.

> Reminds me, there was a rumour a few years ago that Elektra were going to
> reissue both albums as a 2 on 1 CD and that Morrissey was going to write a
> sleeve note. Seems nothing came of it....

Hey, thanks for such a good post! Now I wanna find these albums....

Re: Maybe Morrissey could re-issue them?

maybe Morrissey will have some influence on Sanctuary's Castle Music and re-issue the Jobraiths?

> I've never been able to find Jobriath stuff. I guess I haven't looked so
> hard.

> But if I were you I'd try and get the one which is displayed in the cover
> art of that Japanese Morrissey EP. Do you have that?

Re: Maybe Morrissey could re-issue them?

> maybe Morrissey will have some influence on Sanctuary's Castle Music and
> re-issue the Jobraiths?

... maybe, but unfortunately and as far as I'm aware the Jobriath back catalogue is still under Elektra, who come under Warners. So Sanctuary would have to licence them from Warners, which I doubt would happen. Apparently it was Warners who asked Morrissey to do sleevenotes for a possible reissue anyway. Maybe the fiasco with The Smiths' back-catalogue (that awful Very Best Of) ruined negotiations?

thanks...

... think I will risk that first LP after all then! Money - you can't take it with you anyway eh?

Re: thanks...

> ... think I will risk that first LP after all then! Money - you can't take
> it with you anyway eh?

99% of the music Morrissey has pushed on us I've found to be great (the 1% is Ludus...but even they are worth having in one's collection, I just am not gaga over 'em). So I'd say it's probably worth spening the dough. If you like the LPs it'll be a bargain. And you ought to buy 'em so you can post a review on here, to help *me* decide if I should hunt 'em down. = )

But yeah, not only does Morrissey make great music himself, but he's been a tremendous help in finding other artists that are often great and always interesting.

Which is why it's so exciting that he may be releasing other artists' material on his very own label!!!!

You can listen to streamings of all of Jobriath's music online here:

...at http://www.crapfromthepast.com/jobriath/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom