Interlude

bauer24

This is one of my favourite Moz songs and his only duet (i believe?) does anybody know the story behind it, how it came about etc?

Simon

Morrissey wrote to Siouxsie and sent a tape which included the Timi Yuro version. They had never met prior to recording the song, and from comments made by Siouxsie after the song had been released, they didn't exactly hit it off. I found an old post from here which goes into a bit more detail:

[Siouxsie] said that she was in France at the time he contacted her. She did the Reading festival and they planned it so she would be finished with her other commitments. She then went on to say the meeting was not very interesting. She said, "he was a complete asshole". She went on a tirade about how he hides behind other people to do his dirty work. She said "I hate f***ing people like that". Siouxsie just kept saying how she didn't like him because he used people to do the talking for him. She also said Morrissey wanted to use nationalistic imagery in the video and she refused. "Do something else," Siouxsie told him. He never responded to her complaint.

Rushes said:
[Siouxsie] said that she was in France at the time he contacted her. She did the Reading festival and they planned it so she would be finished with her other commitments. She then went on to say the meeting was not very interesting. She said, "he was a complete asshole". She went on a tirade about how he hides behind other people to do his dirty work. She said "I hate f***ing people like that". Siouxsie just kept saying how she didn't like him because he used people to do the talking for him. She also said Morrissey wanted to use nationalistic imagery in the video and she refused. "Do something else," Siouxsie told him. He never responded to her complaint.

Yes, I remember this story. According to her book, the original video was suppose to be a clip of an old film about the last woman hanged in England, but they were denied permission to use that footage.

The "nationalistic imagery" Morrissey suggested was a bulldog (!) roaming around. She flips out and that ends their collaboration right there.

Hmm, and this is coming from a woman who used to walk around with a swastika band around her arm.

Thanks for the insights. Very interesting stuff! It is a wonderful song considering they didnt hit it off together.

I don't know if you ever saw this, Bauer24, but you may get a big kick out of it. It is a "video" for "Interlude" by Moz and Siouxsie.

www.youtube.com

A fan from the Siouxsie Sioux website created this video. I don't recognize the film footage, but I like it.

Yes, it's a shame Moz and Siouxsie they didn't hit it off. It happens sometimes with artist collaborations. I agree it's a good song.

bauer24 said:
This is one of my favourite Moz songs and his only duet (i believe?) does anybody know the story behind it, how it came about etc?

Simon

I did hear somewhere that they recorderd their vocals in different places too. Also, it has long been rumoured that "Black-Eyed Susan" was inspired by her.

Black Eyed Susan would make Sense! Will check out the video now! thanks

Very good job on the video considering it is unofficial!!!

It really is a beatiful song!

Last edited:
The Interlude video is certainly about the life of Ruth Ellis, last woman to hang in Britain. The video is shot very much in the style of a movie released in 1985 called "Dance with a stranger". Starred Miranda Richardson and Rupert Everett.
Poignant story and good movie too.

The tension was definitely real. That's why there were never any UK promo's for that single. All marketing plans got scrapped once they fell out.

So The people who have heard the duet Interlude with Morrissey and souixse sioux

What does everyone think.. Like It? Love it? Despise and loath?

P.s. I really loved it, I thought it was beautiful and also DUET! I've done it for like five talent shows with Colin.

So The people who have heard the duet Interlude with Morrissey and souixse sioux

What does everyone think.. Like It? Love it? Despise and loath?

P.s. I really loved it, I thought it was beautiful and also DUET! I've done it for like five talent shows with Colin.

Well, I love it. It's beautiful song both in this and in the original Timi Yuro version.

The only little problem I have with it is that I'm not completely sure if Siouxsie's and Morrissey's voice match that well. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, I am a big Siouxsie & The Banshees fan, but there's just something... I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Well, I love it. It's beautiful song both in this and in the original Timi Yuro version.

The only little problem I have with it is that I'm not completely sure if Siouxsie's and Morrissey's voice match that well. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, I am a big Siouxsie & The Banshees fan, but there's just something... I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Yeah I know what you mean, I just love that they did something together.. Theres some parts in the song that clash.. but thats ok..

It's a nice song musically and vocally, but my (minor) problem with it is that the lyrics seem like something Morrissey would never write himself ("Let's hold fast to the dream/That tastes and sparkles like wine"?). A little too on-the-nose, as they say.

Other songs that Morrissey has covered such as a No One Can Hold..., That's Entertainment, and A Song From Under... seem to be tailor-made for Morrissey's world view and lyrical style, whereas Interlude didn't IMO.

If you don't know already, you may be interested in the Morrissey track Black Eyed Susan, which many feel refers to his short, fractious relationship with Siouxsie.

I guess I'm the only one not really into this song. I just think it's weak - weak lyrics, Siouxie not really singing that well .. the melody may be fine but I usually skip it once it comes up. It's not that I hate it, it's just that I have better things to do.

I've never been a fan of the duet either. Their vocals don't seem to 'gel' together well I've always thought, rather that it's fairly disjointed. I tend to skip it on occasion as well.

Back
Top Bottom