In this post -"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, We All Owe "Maladjusted" an Apology

Re: In this post-"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, We All Owe "Malajusted" an Apology.

I've always loved Maladjusted. I play it far more than Kill Uncle and a whole lot more than Years of Refusal or Quarry even.
World Peace is a masterpiece. Better than all of them.

Also, I much prefer the original cover. Yes, it was bleak, but it had a real atmosphere and identity with the silver, greys and the green font. The re-issue has a nice cover but I find it doesn't fit the album and it has none of the character; rather the font is merely tasteful and the photo is much like many other Moz pics.
I also prefer the old Southpaw Grammar cover for similar reasons. The cover font of the re-issue even rips off Station to Station, dunnit?

Re: In this post-"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, We All Owe "Malajusted" an Apology.

Years of Refusal: isn't that the album u said you initially dismissed and only realised recently that you liked it... before going on to dismiss World Peace?
Oops!
Can anyone else see a pattern emerging there?

Sadly you might have difficulty getting scientific support for the theory that a single event constitutes a pattern.

This site's dragged to new levels of c***ishness every day. What a load of bollocks.

Either that or I'm going wrong in not telling everyone what order they have to like or hate each album in or that I'm not crying every day because a pop singer isn't what I think he should be. Have a f***ing word.

This site's dragged to new levels of c***ishness every day. What a load of bollocks.

Either that or I'm going wrong in not telling everyone what order they have to like or hate each album in or that I'm not crying every day because a pop singer isn't what I think he should be. Have a f***ing word.

That should do the trick cheswick

Sadly you might have difficulty getting scientific support for the theory that a single event constitutes a pattern.

"I thought Ringleaders was the worst album ever but I listened to it again recently and it's a masterpiece! Years of Refusal on the other hand was dreadful... oh, hold on, I just listened again and it's the best solo album ever! World Peace, on the other hand... Now, why does this socket keep electrocuting me every time I stick my finger in it...?"

"I thought Ringleaders was the worst album ever but I listened to it again recently and it's a masterpiece! Years of Refusal on the other hand was dreadful... oh, hold on, I just listened again and it's the best solo album ever! World Peace, on the other hand... Now, why does this socket keep electrocuting me every time I stick my finger in it...?"

Don't be such a twat. Surely you are better than this?

While there is no i in team, there's definitely a u in c***.

I don’t think he has a bad record. Even the oft maligned “Kill Uncle”. It’s just my least favorite of the solo LPs.

I think “Southpaw” is FAR from a bad album. Criminally underrated. I shall maybe play it today.

I guess on the plus side every minute that you waste on here is another minute you'll never get back.

This is gold Jerry, gold!

i tell ya, i do that myself sometimes especially with artists i love and have so many expectations with. thats kinda why i didnt try to put it, world peace, in my rankings list because i know its gonna change. personally i think for the better but even now i cant seem to resist going against my own advice. i wonder if this be a new phase of morrissey albums. southpaw and maladjusted kinda pair and quarry, ringleader and refusal also sorta form a trilogy so i wonder if this is the start of a new musical phase so to speak. hope so

I re-listened to Maladjusted in light of this thread and I don't owe it an apology - it's as hit and miss as it's always been.

The two are not close, imo.

I have never and probably never will understand the dislike of Maladjusted.

It has two classic songs on for a start, Alma Matters and Trouble Loves me! It has a few songs I'll always play, Wide to Receive and He Cried. Maladjusted, Satan Rejected My Soul, Ammunition and Roy's Keen (Odd lyrics aside!) are nice songs to pop up every now and then. The only song I dislike is Ambitious Outsiders, because it plods on and on.

Edit - Oops, forgot the reissue/B-sides. The B-sides/Songs they added on the-remaster are great too. I can Have Both and The Edges Are No Longer Parallel are a couple of my favourite Morrissey songs, let alone B-sides. I could... do without This is Not Your Country :)

As for comparing it to World Peace.. I like World Peace.. more, it has grown on the initial perplexed view I had of it. Staircase was my favourite straight away, now it's a mix up between that and Forgive Someone.

Last edited:

Maladjusted is far better than WPINOYB (despite worse cover art).

"Maladjusted" is the most menacing opener in Moz' canon.

"Alma Matters" is an instant classic single.

"Ambitious Outsiders" is even more sinister than the lead track.

"Trouble Loves Me" may be the last truly incredible song of his career.

"Papa Jack" is pretty shite.

"Ammunition" is ironically hopeful and liberating.

"Wide To Receive" is beautiful.

"Roy's Keen" is unfairly chastised- great pop song.

"He Cried" is brutal.

"Sorrow Will Come In The End" is embarrassing, but laughable.

"Satan Rejected My Soul" is a ripping finale.

I long for the days where Morrissey had less than 3 or 4 carp songs- alas they are one since gone.

Agree with all you say about "Sorrow will come in the End" chrisarclark. Moz comes across as a 3rd rate mobster . That song is rubbish and thank goodness he buried it at the end of the album . Scratch that song and this album would be in the top 5 of Morrissey's solo work .

Maladjusted:
I cried. Half way through it - I was drunk. Then I fell on the floor and drank more.
On the other hand WPINOYB was a "glorious occasion".
No apologies from me

"He Cried" is brutal.

I long for the days where Morrissey had less than 3 or 4 carp songs- alas they are one since gone.
I agree.
Malajusted is a triff album.
I have never understood why it is so hated.

For me, World Peace is his first truly great album since Maladjusted. The truly great Moz LPs are Vauxhall, Arsenal, Maladjusted and World Peace.

"He Cried" is brutal.

True about Trouble loves me

"In this post-"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate ..."

I dispute your premise and the consensus you imply. Many, many people love the new album and think it's one of his best. People who don't like the new album need to stop acting as if they represent everyone. You are not the world. The climate of disappointment you refer to exists in your head.

THERE IS NO CONSENSUS THAT THIS ALBUM IS POOR OR DISAPPOINTING. The reviews have been mixed, but mixed is not the same as middling. Mixed reviews, especially when they are as polarized as the reviews of this album has been, indicate not a poor work but a challenging one. Many of the great works of art in any genre or medium were critically divisive when released.

Many reviews have praised that as one of Morrissey's best, most vital, most creative albums. Many have called it his best in 20 years. Many have praised the lyrics, the songwriting, the musicianship.

Many other reviews have criticized it not for just being ok but for being remarkably bad. Many reviews have been vitriolic and seemingly imbued with a visceral dislike for Morrissey himself. And some of the reviews have been merely OK.

For me, the current climate is one of elation rather than disappointment. I am convinced, with every listen, that the new album is a masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom