in Baghdad ITS HAMMER TIME

In Baghdad soon it will be...

'civilians being killed by trigger happy unprofessional soldiers' time.

> In Baghdad soon it will be...

> 'civilians being killed by trigger happy unprofessional soldiers' time.

Saddam has killed more innocent civilians in Iraq than the U.S. will... and Saddam does it on purpose. I'm not "pro war" ... but the world WILL be a better place after he is out!

you would think that, wouldn't you? unfortunately, the united states has a long history of putting tyrants into power. but, then, we only call them tyrants and monsters if they don't agree with us. if they're receptive to american business interests, then they're A-OK. what human rights violations?

and as for saddam killing innocent civilians, while it's certainly true, the united states has given him a big helping hand. you didn't think those sanctions on food and medical supplies were beneficial, did you? and targeting a nation's water treatment plants (and the like) is against the geneva conventions for a reason. guess what that reason is. yep, that's right, it hurts innocent civilians. the united states has just as much iraqi blood on its hands as saddam.

> you would think that, wouldn't you? unfortunately, the united states has a
> long history of putting tyrants into power. but, then, we only call them
> tyrants and monsters if they don't agree with us. if they're receptive to
> american business interests, then they're A-OK. what human rights
> violations?

> and as for saddam killing innocent civilians, while it's certainly true,
> the united states has given him a big helping hand. you didn't think those
> sanctions on food and medical supplies were beneficial, did you? and
> targeting a nation's water treatment plants (and the like) is against the
> geneva conventions for a reason. guess what that reason is. yep, that's
> right, it hurts innocent civilians. the united states has just as much
> iraqi blood on its hands as saddam.

With all due respect... I think you aren't looking at the whole picture. There IS a program for medical supplies and food for the Iraqi people (run by the U.N.) - but the reality is... if Saddam cared about his people more than building palaces to glorify himself - they wouldn't need the U.N. program. It has become clear that the sanctions and "weapon inspections" that were imposed by the U.N. haven't worked. The Russians still sent techno-military assistance, the (hated)French still sends parts for the Mirage fighters and also the helocopters (I forget the model), and the North Korean government still ships 'scuds'. Food isn't the problem... Saddam MURDERS HIS OWN PEOPLE directly and indirectly.

What if someone had showed that they had the guts to stop Hitler before WWII? The same kind of arguements you make were made then... so nothing was done about him until MILLIONS were murdered!

I guess we'll just have to "agree to disagree"...

it may be an unpopular argument, but, for one, saddam does not have aspirations of world domination. hitler made no secret of his aims, which is why it's so surprising that no one took a real stand until they became objects of his agression. furthermore, in the last several years, saddam's abuses have been greatly curtailed because of increased attention from the world. regardless of what you say about sanctions, some of which is true and some of which isn't, it doesn't change the fact that it is immoral to try to get at saddam through his people, especially when it's obvious that he doesn't care about his people (hey, isn't it ironic that our government doesn't care about us either?!). and guess what? that's exactly what we've done to the iraqi people over the last 12 years. it's also despicable to kill civilians in the interest of routing a leader we don't like, even more so when the war is an illegal one as this one is.

furthermore, i hesitate to believe reports of what nations are sending iraq what contraband, especially after that shameful report about iraq receiving uranium for niger, which turned out to be a blatant (and a very badly done) forgery. add to that the fact that most of the articles reporting these sales conveniently leave out certain facts about american companies who have done the same thing...(and do i really have to bring up how we illegally supply israel with weapons when we are supposed to be neutral?)

in any case, iraq is a sovereign state and there is no real legal basis for an attack. we have not been attacked, nor have our allies been attacked by saddam. the last time he did anything aggressive toward any other nation, he was put in his place (although, he should probably have been deposed at that time. our leaders just didn't have the guts, even though, then at least, they would have had more of a real legal and moral basis to do so.).

i just find it ironic that we're attacking saddam for flouting united nations orders when we're doing the exact same thing. it's even more ironic that he was actually complying with weapons inspectors. i find it hard to believe when people say the inspections weren't working when even after the war has started, iraq has not used any explicitly banned weapons, nor have any weapons of mass destruction been found, even at sites named in intelligence reports.

Back
Top Bottom