"Hidden By Rags" - vintage Smiths and Morrissey shirts; site mentions book and exhibition forthcoming

hiddenbyragsbook-07052024-0001.jpg

In the early age of 80’s videos and flashy Brit-pop culture, the artwork that was featured on The Smiths record covers & promotional goods fell in stark contrast. Morrissey instead reached to figures that inspired his songwriting. Although obscure to much of his young following, The Smiths artwork paid homage to cult film stars, authors and imagery from sixties cinema and magazines. Much like the band’s name itself, there was a desire for anonymity which is represented in their simple text and subdued graphics. To the fans who connected to their lyrics that often spoke of isolation and a desire to belong. Wearing these t-shirts was a way to be a part of the ‘hidden by rags’ mentality that shied away from popular culture and opulence.

Displayed in this beautifully illustrated archive, this curated collection of vintage T-shirts from The Smiths & Morrissey offers a glimpse into the sartorial expressions of passionate fans. Perfect for enthusiasts of music history and vintage fashion alike, this book is a nostalgic journey through the intersection of music and style.
coming soon

sign up now for updates on upcoming exhibition, book presale & merchandise release

Related item:

Look, this is great, but a book? These are modern times. Don't folk visit websites and such to look at this kind of thing? I mean, I applaud the organizer's entrepreneurship, and best of luck, but...I'm not sure.

A tasteful resonant project :thumb:

Not sure about this. Don't get me wrong I love seeing the other fans' sartorial choices but it feels like someone just looking for to make a few bucks. Can't even find the "authors" name, not that I've looked for it much. That doesn't bode well for being proud of it. Hmm.

A comprehensive catalogue of every official shirt ever made, including interesting dodgy bootlegs, might have some validity - but yeah, this feels more like something better suited to a website than a physical book.

Given some of the topics that ultimately end up covered by 'coffee table books', this isn't exactly atypical.
The collection (as per 2020 event) is credited as belonging to 'Sean Samuelson'.
FWD.

no wonder the worlds forrests are dwindling,seems like a waste of paper.

Could only see this working (for a niche audience) if there was a scratch and smell option.

'The Smiths artwork paid homage to cult film stars, authors and imagery from sixties cinema and magazines.'

Ultimately many covers paid homage to 60s working class culture. It always amazes me that people should be surprised that an artist who celebrated working class culture in this pictorial way should then go on in interviews to lament the eradication of that same culture. Were they looking with eyes closed?

1715161728231.png

View attachment 103944

In the early age of 80’s videos and flashy Brit-pop culture, the artwork that was featured on The Smiths record covers & promotional goods fell in stark contrast. Morrissey instead reached to figures that inspired his songwriting. Although obscure to much of his young following, The Smiths artwork paid homage to cult film stars, authors and imagery from sixties cinema and magazines. Much like the band’s name itself, there was a desire for anonymity which is represented in their simple text and subdued graphics. To the fans who connected to their lyrics that often spoke of isolation and a desire to belong. Wearing these t-shirts was a way to be a part of the ‘hidden by rags’ mentality that shied away from popular culture and opulence.

Displayed in this beautifully illustrated archive, this curated collection of vintage T-shirts from The Smiths & Morrissey offers a glimpse into the sartorial expressions of passionate fans. Perfect for enthusiasts of music history and vintage fashion alike, this book is a nostalgic journey through the intersection of music and style.
coming soon

sign up now for updates on upcoming exhibition, book presale & merchandise release

Related item:

I had the same ideal, they beat me to it, damn......well maybe pt 2

Of course it would be, it's an official shirt from Mporium, but is the book going to show Morrissey solo shirts. Nothing to indicate that, So far

Back
Top Bottom