Helsinki - Finlandia (Nov. 15, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Speedway / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Staircase At The University / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Trouble Loves Me / The Bullfighter Dies / Yes, I Am Blind / Istanbul / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Not A Man / Meat Is Murder // Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by setlist.fm, link posted by docinwestchester, corrected by Matti.

• Kramkalas med magiska Morrissey, review by Janne Strang (1 photo by Janne Strang) - Hbl.fi. Link posted by Morran.
  • Photos by Vesa Moilanen (9 total) - Rex. Link posted by Roberto Ferdenzi.
  • Photos by Astrogirl / Tumblr (10 total). Link posted by docinwestchester.

helsinki1.jpg
  • Photos by Ville Paganus / Flickr (8 total). Link posted by Wiltteri.

helsinki_wide.jpg

Last edited:
nice, people finally got the more uptempo set they seemed to want. looks like fun and i hope everyone had a bunch of it. yes chickpea i do believe those to be cash kitten shirts. his last "lost"album was great imo even with the extra help.

Was this show seated or something? Why does it look like everyone is standing around at a wedding or something?

Yes, seated! Audience was not allowed to leave their seats, except the very first row. There was plenty of room at front, but noooo..... Stupid!

It was a great concert and Morrissey was very chatty and clearly enjoying himself - more than I've seen before. As someone noted, Finlandia-hall is (sadly) a seated venue. Some (including myself) tried to skip to a better spot on the stairs, but we were soon ushered back by the staff. So there we were - idiotically standing next to our seats. Even Morrissey said something along the lines: "I can see that you are confined to your seats". Well, what can you do. Later Moz told us that they had to pick the venue from three options which were Finlandia-hall, Circus-club and the old icehall, where he performed in 1997. From those three, I'd think Finlandia-hall was the best option.

Fun fact: Antti Nylén's locally famous The Shirt was in attendance and got a mention from Morrissey as well: "I have a question. Is that shirt mine? --- No, it's yours now! --- Does it smell?". Morrissey originally wore it for the Smiths gig in Finland in 1984, and - long story short - Nylén is now making a book about it (http://mesenaatti.me/paita/).

So there I was, grinning from ear to ear, 1 hour and 30 minutes perfectly enjoying myself. And I'm going to do it all again tonight :thumb:

2014-11-15 20.05.46.jpg2014-11-15 20.07.34.jpg2014-11-15 20.07.36.jpg

(How do I post a photo that shows on the article?)

Last edited:
So, Paris is back again. Encore with one song. No Asleep. No Certain People I Know. Neal Cassady followed by Bride. Probably that would be the most boring sequence of the whole show. Oh dear ! :straightface: That joke isn't funny anymore. Sorry. I really miss the good old days. Singing When I Spoke to Carol, Alma Matters and Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed.

Last edited:
Setting aside the outfit, all white, really, the setlist is just a massive mess. Badly chosen and badly set out. Sure, play new tracks, no problem. But 2 banks of 4 in a row? It must kill the show's momentum stone dead.

If he does that at the o2 (fingers still crossed he doesn't cancel) the atmosphere will be flat as a pancake. The non World Peace song choices aren't bad, tho god knows I wouldn't chose some of them, but it's really stupid to have 2 sections of a show of 20 mins apiece with just new songs.

He might get away with it at small venues where people are just thrilled to have proximity but in an 18000 capacity arena it's going to be a disaster.

The concert exceeded my expectations. The sound was much better than in Rome (the last show that I attended) so more detailes were heard, not just a wall of noise. It was seated but luckily for me I was in the first row and I could stand right next to the stage, no elbows or drunken pseudo-singers behind me. The stage was very low so lots of handshakes (two for me) and hugs. I guess in the U.S. the show with such low stage would be ruined by stage invaders but here civilized Finns only made 3 attempts at jumping to the stage. Moz seemed happy and the whole atmosphere was very cosy and friendly despite the cold and official venue. The story with Morrissey recognizing his own shirt of 20 years ago on some guy in the crowd was memorable.
The stand-out tracks were for me Yes, I'm Blind (it was worth going just to hear this amazing song performed live and in a mature voice), Staircase At The University, Trouble Loves Me. I wish the setlist was longer but Morrissey likes to tease the audience without giving them full satisfaction.

Setting aside the outfit, all white, really, the setlist is just a massive mess. Badly chosen and badly set out. Sure, play new tracks, no problem. But 2 banks of 4 in a row? It must kill the show's momentum stone dead.

If he does that at the o2 (fingers still crossed he doesn't cancel) the atmosphere will be flat as a pancake. The non World Peace song choices aren't bad, tho god knows I wouldn't chose some of them, but it's really stupid to have 2 sections of a show of 20 mins apiece with just new songs.

He might get away with it at small venues where people are just thrilled to have proximity but in an 18000 capacity arena it's going to be a disaster.

Set lists never please everyone. Everyone wishes their favourites were played. Some, I'm sure, would prefer to hear only Smiths songs (and then complain how the band didn't play them "properly"). But anyone who knows anything about Morrissey knows that he has never designed set lists the way the Rolling Stones or Elton John do. The whole idea of "building momentum" or adding "greatest hits" is not, and has never been, his priority.

It was a great concert and Morrissey was very chatty and clearly enjoying himself - more than I've seen before. As someone noted, Finlandia-hall is (sadly) a seated venue. Some (including myself) tried to skip to a better spot on the stairs, but we were soon ushered back by the staff. So there we were - idiotically standing next to our seats. Even Morrissey said something along the lines: "I can see that you are confined to your seats". Well, what can you do. Later Moz told us that they had to pick the venue from three options which were Finlandia-hall, Circus-club and the old icehall, where he performed in 1997. From those three, I'd think Finlandia-hall was the best option.

Fun fact: Antti Nylén's locally famous The Shirt was in attendance and got a mention from Morrissey as well: "I have a question. Is that shirt mine? --- No, it's yours now! --- Does it smell?". Morrissey originally wore it for the Smiths gig in Finland in 1984, and - long story short - Nylén is now making a book about it (http://mesenaatti.me/paita/).

So there I was, grinning from ear to ear, 1 hour and 30 minutes perfectly enjoying myself. And I'm going to do it all again tonight :thumb:

View attachment 33351View attachment 33352View attachment 33353

(How do I post a photo that shows on the article?)

Thank you for the review! I found it interesting that Morrissey told the audience that he chose the venue out of three when he just told us recently in the TTY complaining about the Italian venues, that he and his crew have no idea about the place until they arrive:rolleyes:

We, too, were shocked by the venues in Roma and Milan - both abysmal - Milan quite shockingly abysmal... not a theater at all ... just a field with a roof. I have never looked out at such an unhappy, uncomfortable and trapped audience in my life. We all did our best. Consider the many majestic concert halls in Milan, and yet there we were on a brutal patch of waste ground on the edge of the city. It was unfathomable. I should stress that we have no idea what the venues are like until we arrive at them. Thankfully, everywhere else was a proper hall.

what?? Is it true that you could not even move to front from the back seats? As there must be some space on the sides still when seated? Did the security guys stop it or what? As if there would be any harm. So basically they had no chance to even shake his hand, unless they got the ticket from the front like few people. Glad I could not get the ticket, but I would have had to travel there anyways as in my country was no concert but would have been close to go. By the way I heard it is was a small place this Finlandia House where the concert took place is there ever chance to get to backstage nowadays in a small concert like this?

A disaster?

Don't be silly. Maybe you should get your own band going, hire out the 02, then you could show us all how it should be done properly.

The concert exceeded my expectations. The sound was much better than in Rome (the last show that I attended) so more detailes were heard, not just a wall of noise. It was seated but luckily for me I was in the first row and I could stand right next to the stage, no elbows or drunken pseudo-singers behind me. The stage was very low so lots of handshakes (two for me) and hugs. I guess in the U.S. the show with such low stage would be ruined by stage invaders but here civilized Finns only made 3 attempts at jumping to the stage. Moz seemed happy and the whole atmosphere was very cosy and friendly despite the cold and official venue. The story with Morrissey recognizing his own shirt of 20 years ago on some guy in the crowd was memorable.
The stand-out tracks were for me Yes, I'm Blind (it was worth going just to hear this amazing song performed live and in a mature voice), Staircase At The University, Trouble Loves Me. I wish the setlist was longer but Morrissey likes to tease the audience without giving them full satisfaction.

Yes, you are so civilised with your 3 stage invasions, you tool.

I thought you weren't supposed to wear white after labor day.

Have to admit that looks like a nice venue by Euro standards. Small and intimate without a pit separating the stage from the fans, but Finland is under Nazi rule so Americans shouldn't go there.

Italy is known for their abysmal venues for rock shows.

Last edited:
what?? Is it true that you could not even move to front from the back seats? As there must be some space on the sides still when seated? Did the security guys stop it or what? As if there would be any harm. So basically they had no chance to even shake his hand, unless they got the ticket from the front like few people. Glad I could not get the ticket, but I would have had to travel there anyways as in my country was no concert but would have been close to go. By the way I heard it is was a small place this Finlandia House where the concert took place is there ever chance to get to backstage nowadays in a small concert like this?

Yes, the security guys stopped most of us. Several times. I had to return to my back seat from the stairs. Some lucky guys made it to the front but it was a definite NO for the ladies who tried the same. Oh well, enough said!

I am sorry for you and all not in the front cuz it is unfair, if it was bigger people might get to choose which amount they pay and where they sit, it wouldnt go in seconds, thinking that I missed the tickets as was sold so fast and next day was working so didnt know about the second concert, I can only imagine how fast the front went, then noone else stood a chance to shake hands and so on when some people could many times, I never succeeded in my concert visits, which is a shame as I been many times, with Finns I think everyone is so peaceful they could go one by one and it wouldnt be a chaos :D not like in some countries when they actually attack him nearly tearing him apart. everyone seated like in a church...and just few get chance to move and shake hands....I heard from my friend (on 5th row) someone gave letter to him and he put it to pocket he wondered if anyone in the back could have given it to security guy to give letter too but probably the security bother not do that even, I thought in a small space like this it would be more friendly and free to do especially in Finland, as even if he walked on the street he could probably be in his peace, there was that world famous rock star in helsinki playing on the street and noone was bothering him just peacefully stopped to listen and continued, they say it is the only city/country where they can be in peace

Yes, the security guys stopped most of us. Several times. I had to return to my back seat from the stairs. Some lucky guys made it to the front but it was a definite NO for the ladies who tried the same. Oh well, enough said!

Back
Top Bottom