Four Morrissey Related Letters in this weeks City Life

S

Shaun Goater MBE

Following on from last weeks interview, there were five letters published in this weeks City Life (9th July) and four of them concerned our hero.

Letter of the week
Letter No 1 - titled 'I would go out tonight, but...'
Last weeks cover photo proves Morrissey has lost none of his sly sense of humour. His jacket, shirt and jeans combination (with nascent fortysomething paunch) was clearly an ironic satorial homage to his cultural antithesis. Jeffry Clarkson. Top gear indeed.
Daniel Pounds
Hulme

Letter No 2 - titled 'Lost and found'
I realise that by writing this letter I am revealing myself as a bit of a tosser, but what the hell... in last week's otherwise excellent Morrissey feature, your writer described 'Lost' as a brand new track, possibly to be included on his forthcoming album.
This blistering track, (hardly his 'blissed-out Ibiza phase' but that's another story) as I'm sure legions more pedants will smugly inform you, was in fact recorded in 1997 and has become something of a live favourite. It was tucked away on the flip side of 'Roy's Keen', the tale of an eager window cleaner. Containing the imortal words 'back up the ladder, dunking the chamois', i'm sure Morrissey himself would confess that this is not his finest moment.
Still 'dont forget the songs...' not even the crap ones.
Lucy Pilkington
via email.

Letter No 3 - titled 'That joke isn't funny anymore'
Thanks for the Morrissey interview - the worlds greatest lyricist deserves more recognition, especially from the Mancunian press.
Why did you have to ruin the spread with the appalling article 'The Importance Of Not Being Morrissey by James Walker? The author was supposed to be a Morrissey fan, although by his own admission he had not listened to anything by Morrissey in two years. The tired use of Smiths lyrics and titles was unintelligent and humourless and the insinuation that fans of Morrissey are fools is just insulting to the many who purchased City Life purely for the article.
I doubt Mr Walker's previous celibate lifestyle was his own decision if his conversation is anything like his writing. In fact the whole piece seemed to be an excuse for James Walker to tell the North West that James Walker had finally got a girlfriend.
Neil Calcutt
Prestwich
Editor's comment - 'For certain true fans you might be right. It's too close to home and it's too near the bone...'

Letter No 4 - titled 'Humdrum town'
I am writing to ask what that was about Warrington being named 'capital of the north', as I live there and have never heard of it! Nice to hear Morrissey discuss the place (listening to 'The boy with the thorn in his side' as I write this) - I'm afraid he's pretty much accurate, though I read his comments out to my mum and she just said 'wool shops! I wish!'
Richard Magrath
Warrington
Editors comment - This follows news that Warrington was being mooted as the residence for any future NW Regional Assembly.

End
The Goat MBE

Back
Top Bottom