Flights to US

mhicks

Senior Citizen member
I've been toying with the idea of going to The US from the UK to catch a few shows at the end of the tour. The flights to places such as Florida are around £600!!! Does anyone know anywhere to look for flights that are somewhere near normal price? I can't believe it, I go to the States once or twice a year nad never pay that much!! Must be the time of year I suppose.

Maybe if you pick somewhere to fly into that's less of a tourist attraction? I think it's expensive to fly into FL (or CA) in the summer from anywhere, even within the US. Try looking at flying into somewhere like Atlanta maybe, or the midwest. Good luck! Hope you can work it out!

Try kayak.com, it's a pretty good (lazy) way to check a bunch of airlines at once. Thirty day advance purchase midweek fares are generally cheapest. Also, sometimes it's cheaper to go from Dublin or Paris, weirdly enough. Try going into DC, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, etc. Good luck!

Atlanta is a big hub. Or Chicago. If you could go into Midway, there are Southwest Airlines flights down to Florida for as low as $90 round trip if you catch a sale. I know Aer Lingus does very cheap flights to OHare. Well, they do cheap round trips from OHare to Shannon and back. They may do Boston too.

Florida is expensive to fly into as a rule, the taxes are higher there since they make so much money from tourism.

Alternatives to TPA (Tampa) are Ft. Myers (RSW), Sarasota/Bradenton, and Orlando, each up to about an hour and a half drive away.

It might end up costing more, but you could piece together a cheaper way to get there.

I studied this question in detail today: don't think it will be significantly cheaper than £400.
(AA from Manchester to NY)

globespan run from liverpool to new york if you are in the north - may be a bit late to get cheap flights so close to independence day.

Forget flying around the US in the summertime. Practically every airline jacks up their prices like 50%.

Flyglobespan looks like the best to me as I am looking to go to Florida also. Problem is it's the school holidays so I am waiting until nearer the time. Thomson airlines and Firstchoice are not too bad but I think you really need to wait. Globespan have some 9 and 11 days holidays with accomodation in June for around £450 so I'm hoping better prices will come out nearer the time.

I paid £306 Liverpool to JFK return (Monday - Friday) for the Boston / Northampton gigs. Costs $49 on the Greyhound return to Boston.

Would liked to have stayed for the NY gig but just couldn't afford the extra days away and it would have been more expensive to return on the Sunday. :mad:
Flyglobespan also fly from Glasgow.

Jukebox Jury

I've been toying with the idea of going to The US from the UK to catch a few shows at the end of the tour. The flights to places such as Florida are around £600!!! Does anyone know anywhere to look for flights that are somewhere near normal price? I can't believe it, I go to the States once or twice a year nad never pay that much!! Must be the time of year I suppose.

It might be cheaper to buy two round trip tickets that depart from the US.
The US doesn't have all those vile taxes and fee the UK does.

Kumo

I think there is some rule that you cannot buy a ticket for an international flight from outside of the country you are departing from, or something like that.

Jukebox Jury

You could sneak onto one of these:

freighter.jpg

if you are from China, they leave to the US every 10 minutes :D

(eh, i made that 10 minutes figure up...don't quote me at a dinner party to impress your date. you will fail.)

Thanks guys.
To be honest a return from London to NYC is around the £300 mark which isn't too bad, it's the flights to places like Orlando, Atlanta etc that are around £600 which amazes me.
I might bite the bullet and do the MSG show but ideally i'd have loved to do some of the more obscure and smaller venues. the most annoying thing is I'm going over there next week to see friends, a trip that was arranged just weeks before the tour was announced, darn it!!!

I think there is some rule that you cannot buy a ticket for an international flight from outside of the country you are departing from, or something like that.

Jukebox Jury

how do people plan multiple country vacations?

i would have to say you are wrong.

Like a previous commenter said, flights to the US in summer are outrageous prices.

Try Monarch, they sell cheap seats on charter flights. I got one for £208. The only catch is it has to be a week, eg, a Thursday to a Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom