FAO: ALL REGULAR POSTERS and ET AL

B

beekay

I have noticed something. For some reason people on this message board are *exceptionally ruthless* when it comes to correcting other posts that contain errors in grammar, spelling, etc. Why? This is the Web right? One can assume that the language being used here is not always going to be the primarly language of the poster. But, the skill and attention given to this matter is amazing! Like someone has time to proof-read all of the posts that go up and no matter what the content, if there is so much as a single error some asshole will post the correction. I know why....becuase Morrissey fans, especially those of you stuck in the "smiths" era are convinced that Morrissey himself is some type of literary editor genius type. YOU assholes who relentlessly correct others are the types who think that MOZ sits in a tub with Ye Olde typewriter and pecks away while referencing Wilde etc. And hence your connection is made among being an overzealous red-pencil dickhead and your commitment to MOZ. Its foolish. and NOT true. I want to be the one to break the news to you Correcting types. Morrissey shows no sign of being well read. (gasp!) thats right ladies and gentlemen. I said it!! You heard it here first. Ask yourself, when was the last time he made reference to ANY book in the past decade. Nine, Zero, none, zilch. But lets start a tally on television, radio, popular periodicals, and other shitty mindless crap. Morrissey stopped reading after about 3 books. When asked to make a recommendation of books he always answers "oh, i dont know there are so many" Yes, morrissey-so many you have never read nor will ever becuase you cant shut your f***ing Tele off. HA! Code Broken. Proceed to destroy me now.

most modern fiction is pretty crap.
you say he's only ever read 3 books. hmm. do you know the dude? as in, do you guys kick it at the bookstore or not the bookstore cos you would have us believe he's still thumbing through the remedial reader they gave him back in primary school...

to be honest, i dont really know how to respond to your post beekay and I def. am not looking to start a fight.
im a LOVER not a FIGHTER!

so i'll offer you a partial list of what I am currently reading both in and out of the bath and maybe old mozzer himself will take the hint and pick up a book and give it a whirl (y)

'in the winter of cities', the collected poems of tennessee williams
'harem years' , the memoirs of an egyptian feminist by Huda Shaarawi
'the jubliee issue' GRANTA
'the arabs in history' by bernard lewis. (v. dry)
'saints and strangers' by angela carter (my homegirl!)

in the sitting room, on the coffee table, there are periodicals that doucument the various going ons in the art and fashion world. i provide these periodical for my visitors.

yup, thats pretty much it.

c.g '05

> I have noticed something. For some reason people on this message board are
> *exceptionally ruthless* when it comes to correcting other posts that
> contain errors in grammar, spelling, etc. Why? This is the Web right? One
> can assume that the language being used here is not always going to be the
> primarly language of the poster. But, the skill and attention given to
> this matter is amazing! Like someone has time to proof-read all of the
> posts that go up and no matter what the content, if there is so much as a
> single error some asshole will post the correction. I know why....becuase
> Morrissey fans, especially those of you stuck in the "smiths"
> era are convinced that Morrissey himself is some type of literary editor
> genius type. YOU assholes who relentlessly correct others are the types
> who think that MOZ sits in a tub with Ye Olde typewriter and pecks away
> while referencing Wilde etc. And hence your connection is made among being
> an overzealous red-pencil dickhead and your commitment to MOZ. Its
> foolish. and NOT true. I want to be the one to break the news to you
> Correcting types. Morrissey shows no sign of being well read. (gasp!)
> thats right ladies and gentlemen. I said it!! You heard it here first. Ask
> yourself, when was the last time he made reference to ANY book in the past
> decade. Nine, Zero, none, zilch. But lets start a tally on television,
> radio, popular periodicals, and other shitty mindless crap. Morrissey
> stopped reading after about 3 books. When asked to make a recommendation
> of books he always answers "oh, i dont know there are so many"
> Yes, morrissey-so many you have never read nor will ever becuase you cant
> shut your f***ing Tele off. HA! Code Broken. Proceed to destroy me now.

before you rant any more

Notice that some people are correcting themselves. As in, they read their post and saw that it was wrong, so posted a correction just below it. Make sure the names don't match before you start assuming the worst.

Re: before you rant any more

are you talking to me?

> Notice that some people are correcting themselves. As in, they read their
> post and saw that it was wrong, so posted a correction just below it. Make
> sure the names don't match before you start assuming the worst.

Re: before you rant any more

> Notice that some people are correcting themselves. As in, they read their
> post and saw that it was wrong, so posted a correction just below it. Make
> sure the names don't match before you start assuming the worst.

yeah, i notice this. its f***ING pointless. The only reason they do it is becuase they know for fact that any second some douche bag is posting a snotty correction. It s a preemptive move that has been created by the unforgiving twats around here. Look at the marketplace. Someone is looking for peepholism. out of two responses, one of them is an asshole telling them they spelled peepholism wrong and they need to find a dictionary or something.

> most modern fiction is pretty crap.
Agreed!
> you say he's only ever read 3 books. hmm. do you know the dude? as in, do
> you guys kick it at the bookstore or not the bookstore cos you would have
> us believe he's still thumbing through the remedial reader they gave him
> back in primary school...
No i dont know MR. MOZ. But lets just say that he stopped referencing books in interviews and his work about 15 years ago. "the Importance of being Earn...etc" and thats it. The rest has been reference to obscure actors of film or serial day dramas. Even his politics are based in Michael Moore or John Stuart? Why doesnt Morrissey urge people to read Chomsky or Zinn or Shalom? Instead he lauds F-9/11 etc. I certainly hope this is not where he is getting his information about how america works etc. Thast all i am saying. I believe taht Moz is a brilliant artist. BUT NOT and intellectual. There is a problem that his fans have making this transition. His writing sytle is AWFUL! have you read the liner notes for under the influence and James Dean is not dead and his letters to NME etc. None of it smacks of some English Scholar. Moz is well informed, and very well spoken etc. But really he isnt some f***ing type that would send fan mail back with corrections on it. the man himself doesn't even have a college education. DO people even know this? Just becuase your mom is a librarian doesnt mean that you are born smart and informed. I think you get the gist. Morrissey fans tend to beleive that he is cut from some highly intellectual cloth and that being a fan of his is keeping in the highest tradition of scholarly writing and prose. when in fact it can not be further from the truth. But, no we are not argueing you and i..just chatting about a point.

> to be honest, i dont really know how to respond to your post beekay and I
> def. am not looking to start a fight.
> im a LOVER not a FIGHTER!

> so i'll offer you a partial list of what I am currently reading both in
> and out of the bath and maybe old mozzer himself will take the hint and
> pick up a book and give it a whirl (y)

> 'in the winter of cities', the collected poems of tennessee williams
> 'harem years' , the memoirs of an egyptian feminist by Huda Shaarawi
> 'the jubliee issue' GRANTA
> 'the arabs in history' by bernard lewis. (v. dry)
> 'saints and strangers' by angela carter (my homegirl!)

All very interesting looking books. None of which i have read! I am reading Manifesto for a new world order by Monbiot and the Bio of Assata Shukur.

> in the sitting room, on the coffee table, there are periodicals that
> doucument the various going ons in the art and fashion world. i provide
> these periodical for my visitors.

> yup, thats pretty much it.

> c.g '05

Re: before you rant any more FAO calendar girl

No, not you! I was speaking to whoever posted about making corrections to grammar/spelling is the intended recipient. You can see whose thread someone is replying to by looking below the poster's name (in response to: area)

Holy hell - someone started an interesting discussion! Enough to drag me out of my semi-retirment, it is!

> most modern fiction is pretty crap.

Most fiction that ever gets published is pretty crap - always worth waiting a few years to see what endures. Constraining as they can sometimes be, canons establish themselves for a reason.

I agree with beekay and 'compilations', there's no evidence whatsoever that Moz is any great bibliophile. Not that it really matters, but I think his predominant influences are quite resolutely low-brow as suggested, which is fine because in many ways that's what makes him so interesting, that he melds these things together in a relatively lucid way. But I do think he's becoming more of a lyrical disappointment with each passing album, the level of sophistication on most of YATQ's tracks is just lamentable. I think he's far more interested in going down in history as a pop icon than a literary one, so why should he be all bookish and readerly?

> in the sitting room, on the coffee table, there are periodicals that
> doucument the various going ons in the art and fashion world. i provide
> these periodical for my visitors.

Ha, you have a 'sitting room' - that's so cute! You must be British, CG - do you take elevenses there? Have a nice cup of Earl Grey for me now, won't you? LOL

He is well-read.
The man is a True Poet.
But he writes pop lyrics, not books.

Why does he have to mention the books he's been reading all the time to appear intellectual (or pseudo-intellectual)?

I don't understand this whole Moz-bashing.

> Holy hell - someone started an interesting discussion! Enough to drag me
> out of my semi-retirment, it is!

> Most fiction that ever gets published is pretty crap - always worth
> waiting a few years to see what endures. Constraining as they can
> sometimes be, canons establish themselves for a reason.

> I agree with beekay and 'compilations', there's no evidence whatsoever
> that Moz is any great bibliophile. Not that it really matters, but I think
> his predominant influences are quite resolutely low-brow as suggested,
> which is fine because in many ways that's what makes him so interesting,
> that he melds these things together in a relatively lucid way. But I do
> think he's becoming more of a lyrical disappointment with each passing
> album, the level of sophistication on most of YATQ's tracks is just
> lamentable. I think he's far more interested in going down in history as a
> pop icon than a literary one, so why should he be all bookish and
> readerly?

> Ha, you have a 'sitting room' - that's so cute! You must be British, CG
> - do you take elevenses there? Have a nice cup of Earl Grey for me now,
> won't you? LOL

So, you have a good point. Thus, Morrissey's writing with the Smiths was more prolific and complex as well as cryptic. As time went on, one can see through his art that his influences were less "print based" and obviously more "image based" stuff. I am in no way bashing him. But, one can easily notice the difference of influence. I also think Morrissey is very clever and funny but he should really use his live act to raise serious issues with the audience. a balance if you will? anyway thats my take on it. its obvious. Someone above said that Morrissey doesnt have to metnion every book he reads all of the time. I agree. BUT, he hasnt mentioned a f***ing book in decades. its always TV shows or movies etc. Why spend time bashing american idol when you can let your audience know what you think is superior both intellectually and creativly. He doesnt do it, becuase he isnt exercising an alternative. Morrissey has made loads of political comments on stage. none of which were productive in the least. As i stated before, morrissey could have easily said Bush was a crashing bore and perhaps those of you should look at ZMAG.net at to why. Etc. I know its not his "job" to plug other works but by doing so I can rest assured that his opinion is INFORMED and not just childish banter that he extracts from E and Comedy Central. WHich is where i stand currently as to my opinion about his sources.

Agree wholeheartedly. I've always thought it was an artist's duty to at least somewhat attempt to expand the horizons of their audience. Unfortunately I think Moz's horizons as you suggest are a good deal narrower than a large number of his fans these days. Perhaps he's intimidated by this and is reaching out to the legions of the stoopid with ever-more unsophisticated albums. I dunno. All I know is he's become ever harder to idolise, and I think that's sad. If he does want to die a pop icon, that kind of fandom endures a lot better than the fleeting top 40, platinum edition sort.