"east west" + "get off the stage"

C

Chuissee

could some kind person help me to get studio versions of these songs on mp3?
thank you.

xxx
xx
x
Chuissee.

What's the ethics of this?

I have no problem whatsoever with sharing unreleased/live/impossible to get tracks via MP3 - but I personally feel studio (ie copywright-ed) material that is freely available, as these are (b-sides to "Ouija Board" and "Picadilly Palare", and they're both available on the box set v.1 even if the singles are now deleted (and I have no idea if that's the case)) ought not to be pirated.

Yes, I know Moz has enough dough already. Yes I know record company execs are vipers, etc. But I just feel copywright is the backbone of all artistic endeavour. The recording industry has fallen on hard times in no small part due to piracy (yes, also due to f***ed-up decision making by those same cocaine-addled executives - offering Robbie Williams US$125m deals, etc. therby ensuring they need to sell a trillion copies just to break even), and the result of this is a narrowing of the diversity of music on offer to us as music-lovers and making it harder for the likes of our Moz to get deals as record companies plump for artists in a proven set of styles and genres.

If we want to put a halt to all this, we should be condemning piracy. I'm not trying to flame you, Chuissy - to a lot of people this sort of thing has become as natural as breathing, but I'm really not sure it's right and I do think all true lovers of music should give some thought to this.

I know some people cannot afford to buy a lot of new music - but the cost of CDs will continue going up the more commonplace this type of thing becomes. More and more people will then turn to piracy, but at the same time less and less music beyond the mainstream will be recorded. Fewer artists will be signed, fewer people will be able to pursue music as a career, the quality and quantity of music produced professionally will fall. The world will become ever more full of crAshing bores. All this file sharing could effectively wind up loving music to death.

That's not to say I've never shared files with friends, but in the cases I've done it, I'll only do so to make compilation CDs of bands I'd encourage friends to find out more about, and possibly buy new music- I feel this is the only way piracy might help grow the industry. I refuse point blank to pirate established artists (even those who deserve it) or entire albums.

I have a feeling I'll cop some flak for this but I do feel strongly about it. I don't want to live in a world where the diversity of choice in music ranges from Robbie Williams to Holly Valance.

So, Chuissy, if you told me you were having to spend your entire income financing your treatment for some life-threatening disease and would never otherwise have the chance to hear these songs, I'd happily send you the files. Otherwise, LOL, but you'll have to get them from someone a little less haughty(well, some would say anally-retentive) than I. And I have little doubt you will find such a person.

OK - now bring on the abuse, I'm quite used to it . . .

Re: What's the ethics of this?

actually I think you have a valid point sir!

i agree with some of your points, others not so much. in any case, she's only asking for two songs, which are sort of rare. i mean, they aren't available on any compilation. if you already have just about every song and dozens of artists from a single artist, it's frustrating trying to collect the last few that you don't have -- especially if you don't like buying singles (or are saving up for the glorious boxed sets).

> actually I think you have a valid point sir!
buy the box sets!

I agree with you somewhat. What I tend to do is download as many songs from as many albums by an artist as possible, decide which I like, then buy the CDs (in some cases vinyls) anyhow. I have put thousands of dollars into my music collection, and I am quite proud of it; but I know that not everyone wants to spend their money on music they don't know, so I'll burn CDs with 10+ tracks from a single artist (usually I'll put two artists per CD) so people get a wide sampling of what is available from an artist. There is nothing more disappointing than hearing that cool new single from someone, then buying the full album and finding out it's all crap...I like to spare my friends and associates that let-down. Me, I have the money to throw around anyway...I spend perhaps too much on music. Not everyone should have to. Now, in some cases I will not record CDs for people...I'll just buy them the album so it won't be their loss if they don't like it. It depends on how much support I feel an artist deserves. I pretty much never burn Morrissey CDs unless someone tells me they want a bootleg of this or that which I happen to have.

A lot of people attribute the decline in record profits to "piracy," but that is not even the half of it. It's a combination of over-pricing, over-paid artists, over-production, company devotion to signing artists who embody some passing trend, and company habits of spending millions on marketing for only certain artists within their label and its subdivisions. There's also some fault belonging to mainstream media for over-exposing crap music, and under-exposing the brilliant and talented artists who have been around for ages by the time you've heard of them if in fact you are lucky enough to hear of them (and if you are, it's because they were determined enough to get their music out there to where they'd face rejections and bombing records and so forth).

I think there is something to the way some labels have had occasions where you can pay a minimal fee and download tons of music; if record companies are so upset over the the decline in profits which is supposed to be due to piracy, then they should think of hosting things like this on a permanent basis.

Blah.

i have burned smiths and moz cds for a close friend whose collection was lost and who didn't have the money to replace it, and i've made some mixed cds for friends to whom i wanted to introduce the smiths and moz. nothing wrong with that!

oh well. i caused such a long letter.
thank you for that.

the case is: i just wouldnt want to by whole singles box-set
to get two songs wich im hunting. i know im unethical.
i know im a bad person. so what. youve thrown the first rock.
i will be gladly expecting for more. g'night & thank you.

xxx
xx
x
Chuissee.

p.s. i will excuse you for the miss-spelling of my name... )

> oh well. i caused such a long letter.
> thank you for that.

My pleasure. It's a complex issue - and I didn't want to just say "buy the box set", because that would have appeared a bit insensetive.

> the case is: i just wouldnt want to by whole singles box-set
> to get two songs wich im hunting. i know im unethical.
> i know im a bad person. so what. youve thrown the first rock.

I certainly don't want to imply you're a bad person - you like Moz enough to want to hear some rarities, and that's a fine sentiment. I've just given a lot of thought to this whole piracy issue, and I've decided it's an issue of real principle. You really should think about acquiring the box sets - I think they're some of the most worthwhile purchases I've ever made.

> p.s. i will excuse you for the miss-spelling of my name... )

Ummmm, yes OK, sorry - but you might have chosen a simpler handle! Or is that actually your name? And I'll forgive you for the "miss-spelling" of mis-spelling (or were you referring to Tori?)

Re: that should read "dozens of albums from a single artist"

You could have a point with dozens of artists from a single artist.

In the future famous people will have pod releasing genitalia (like the alien in Alien)that dispenses a new version when they get old, or feel a bit tired, or put weight on.

Ive read about this in my "Manual of The Future" which my Auntie Pat gave to me

Its very forward-thinking of you.

Back
Top Bottom