Ear Plugs at Gigs

Kareem Said

Adebesi (sp again?) was funny in his little hat and socks but he scared the hell out of me at the same time.

I fancied the bloke who played Kareem Said. :horny:

Sister Pete was hot, too!

Do you know Eamonn Walker (aka Kareem Said) was playing Othello in Globe Theatre in London last year?

Last edited:
I usually wear the foam ones, but am thinking of trying some that are supposed to allow a better sound.

There's deafness in my family, and a friend who has made a living as a musician suffers from hearing loss. :(

I ALWAYS wear earplugs at gigs,
i usually have those foamy ones you can roll and squish and then they expand to fit your ear,
have to take one out everynow and then so i can hear moz's banter clearly.the trick when doing that is not to drop it on the floor, and then spend the rest of the evening with one ear exposed, and having ringing etc for 3 months after!!! :tears:
I never want to go through that again. :rolleyes:

I have bad hearing and all sorts of ear issues including having several surgeries in the last few years. I was a bad girl and didn't wear earplugs at Foxwoods but we had sucky seats and it didn't really bother me. If I get seats up front for Austin then I will definitely wear earplugs but I am worried about not being able to hear the banter.

I do, when I remember to, I have a bad habit of forgetting them when I go to a show.This is all thanks to a Dinosaur jr. show in 1994,I was on J Mascic's side of the stage, front row.He enjoys using 6 to 8 marshall stack amps at highest volume.Since that show I have had a slight buzz or ringing in my ears, I have to sleep with t.v. or music playing or I will never fall asleep.Fun.
nice! i saw j mascis and the fog...pretty loud.
ever heard of sunn o)))? i saw them with no ear plugs. they are so loud people leave with stomach aches. :guitar:

i hear mbv is really loud also.

Have worn them since seeing the Replacements without them.....I had ringing in my ears for a few days after.....not fun!

I have bad hearing and all sorts of ear issues including having several surgeries in the last few years. I was a bad girl and didn't wear earplugs at Foxwoods but we had sucky seats and it didn't really bother me. If I get seats up front for Austin then I will definitely wear earplugs but I am worried about not being able to hear the banter.

That's the reason I've been looking at the noise attenuation models designed for musicians - they let the detail through but hold back the impact. I've ordered the Etymotics, plus a bag of decent foamies for when muffling would come as a blessing. *ahem*

I often have some with me or regret not having them with me when I forget them, but I rarely have them in my ears while the people whom I came to hear are on stage, because I cannot stand what it sounds like in my head if I have them in while I sing along.

At a festival once a tv camera man had his camera spot on me as I put my earplugs in and I thought "Cool, will I feature in a save your ears spot soon?" But no, as it turned out, it was for the amusement of the band backstage. ;) Can they actually see what is going through the cameras backstage? I have wondered about this ever since.

At two concerts in December a new type of earplugs was handed out at the entrance, of which I grabbed a pair each, but didn't try them out. So sorry, I cannot give you any recommendations on which earplugs are any good. I'd like to know of any though that are fine to sing along with. Maybe I should just go to a musical instruments shops and ask there? I too often stand right next to the loudspeakers so that I have just been lucky so far that I didn't get tinnitus.

Hahah! Well, I suppose it shows there are ways to entertain the band when they're backstage other than becoming a groupie. ;)

I've done my market research and plumped for the musician type of plug, which I suspect would be as sing-a-long friendly as anything else. Or you could just mime-along if you sound that awful. :D But I think you're right; the staff of a good music shop are probably well worth speaking to - or someone who uses firearms. (ask nicely ;))

For general info: The RNIB's "Don't Lose the Music" website has good basic ear protection info and product links.

http://www.dontlosethemusic.com/home/

Last edited:
I've been to well over 200 gigs & I have never EVER considered wearing earplugs - I am truly shocked how many people have written they wear them on this forum.

I'd never even heard of it before until I recently went to see Iron Maiden and a friend wore them - I couldn't believe it!

I've just been casting around for opinions from the music types on MySpace. Steve Hooker ( who has a new single out - check out his site at http://www.stevehooker.co.uk/ ) has this public service announcement for you:

"I used to play with a bass player in the mid 80's who wore ear plugs and I thought he was an utter c*** and a jessie! However - I will concede that having stood on the drummer's left for years as a matter of ritual it upsets my equilibrium to a point where I will refuse to stand on the other side of the stage if I'm ever asked.

I have noticed they sell earplugs in music shops now and I can also tell you the original bass player of Eddie and the Hot Rods quit on account of a hearing
disorder."

"...an utter c*** and a jessie!" Ah, you silver-tongued rogue! :D (Thanks, Steve)

Do you wear ear plugs to protect your hearing at gigs or while you rehearse music? Do you like the fancy noise attenuating type or do you think the simple foam stoppers are just as good? Your shopping recommendations, please.

Thanks,

Kate

:)

(First one to reply with "pardon?" is a git.)

I take earplugs with me but don't always wear them. I care a lot about my hearing since it's central to what I do for a living.

I take earplugs with me but don't always wear them. I care a lot about my hearing since it's central to what I do for a living.

Are you in telesales?

Tags
mutton jeff pardon?
Back
Top Bottom