Votes: 38 77.6%
  • Don't go there Moz

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Not got a clue

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Danny_

Forgot my login!
Reading the article, though I disagree with some of what Morrissey says I do think he has been stitched up.

However, it all seems to hang on tone and opinion, nowhere do they say he is a racist, they just suggest it.

I'm no expert in legal matters but wouldn't this make it hard for Morrissey to make a case for libel?

I care about the man and can't help thinking he's going to make this even worse for himself.

Reading the article, though I disagree with some of what Morrissey says I do think he has been stitched up.

However, it all seems to hang on tone and opinion, nowhere do they say he is a racist, they just suggest it.

I'm no expert in legal matters but wouldn't this make it hard for Morrissey to make a case for libel?

I care about the man and can't help thinking he's going to make this even worse for himself.

I think he's just declaring his objection to what they've said by suing. I imagine it will settle shortly on terms that are never disclosed.

EDIT: Can't the mods get you your password back?

I think he's just declaring his objection to what they've said by suing. I imagine it will settle shortly on terms that are never disclosed.

EDIT: Can't the mods get you your password back?

Can't remember me password or email address. I think I originally used an email I don't have any more.

They suggest it very pointedly, and they went out of their way to do it. I don't know if he can win but he ought to try. What the NME did was beneath contempt. At the very least maybe the NME will think twice the next time they want to stab someone in the back.

There's also the financial aspect to consider. It's usually only the super rich who sue for libel which suggests to me that it must be a very costly business. I don't think Morrissey is half as rich as people assume. Wasn't it Grant Showbiz who said he could see Morrissey bankrupting himself one day?

There's also the financial aspect to consider. It's usually only the super rich who sue for libel which suggests to me that it must be a very costly business. I don't think Morrissey is half as rich as people assume. Wasn't it Grant Showbiz who said he could see Morrissey bankrupting himself one day?

On the other hand, he probably has a good legal team in place now. They probably offered him advice and said he could win. Either that or, as it's others have suggested, it's sabre-rattling to win an out-of-court settlement. But I'd like to see him take the NME down. I've been a fan of the NME over the years but this was the last straw for me. Enough is enough. That article infuriated me as a reader and lover of good journalism, never mind as a Morrissey fan.

Incidentally, this might be a crude, modern form of long-term Les Miserables-style revenge, but perhaps Morrissey has been lying in wait to take down the NME for fifteen years. Since Finsbury Park he's been biding his time, waiting until all his ducks were lined up, looking for the moment when the NME was most vulnerable to financial attack. Then he and Merck manipulated the situation to dupe McNicholas into his tactical blunder. No one is easier to steer than a left-wing do-gooding puppet of political correctness. Tie the goat to the tree and wait.

Not only would he get his revenge on the NME, with the money he could probably pay off a certain man named The Drums.

Whaddya think? We know he holds grudges, but is this theory too Machiavellian?

Last edited:
Sure, he could bankrupt himself. Many other stars have spent beyond their means. It probably doesn't cost a whole lot to have that letter written though, and Morrissey probably has a lawyer that he is paying whether he uses them or not. Until it goes to trial the costs probably are not too high.

Sure, he could bankrupt himself. Many other stars have spent beyond their means. It probably doesn't cost a whole lot to have that letter written though, and Morrissey probably has a lawyer that he is paying whether he uses them or not. Until it goes to trial the costs probably are not too high.

The cost of threatening would be small, but filing and pursuing would get expensive very quickly. Usually the settlement will include (and may be limited to) a retraction, apology and payment of Morrissey's legal fees. I don't know if they have contingency fee attorneys in the UK, but if so, Morrissey wouldn't have much financial risk because the attorneys' payment would be limited to a percentage of whatever recovery they get.

I'm not sure I'd trust my legal team to tell me whether I had a good case or not. It's in their interests to encourage me to go to court after all. Lawyers are pretty famous for encouraging pointless cases just to bleed their clients dry.

I'm not sure I'd trust my legal team to tell me whether I had a good case or not. It's in their interests to encourage me to go to court after all. Lawyers are pretty famous for encouraging pointless cases just to bleed their clients dry.

You're probably right. I missed that angle. In our contest of theorizing about venality and avarice you've gotten one step ahead.

I don`t think he should sue because although they may have twisted and edited it to sound more controversial (so whats new?)...even had he said worse what difference would it make?He`s entitled to say exactly as he please whomever it may offend.Thats what free speech is after all.you may not agree with someone but defend till the death their right to say it.....or whatever the famous phrase was.

Anyway its all publicity.I heard two people talking about him today at a bus stop and thats not happened in my own experience in about twenty years!!

It's never gonna happen - good publicity ahead of the UK dates though...

You never know - there might even be a scene outside the Roundhouse, and even more publicity.

Rock on Moz

There are procedures lawyers have to follow according to Law Society rules; if they don't follow them, they can get struck off (and by law cannot practice law anymore). Some of those procedures including giving a fair overview of your client's options and realistic prospects of success etc. Of course there will be some leeway for them to maybe push harder on the 'go to court' option, but it's not as if they can tell outright lies to get people to do something that's not in their interests.

Not only would he get his revenge on the NME, with the money he could probably pay off a certain man named The Drums.

Why on earth would he want to pay Joyce a penny?

Morrissey is a very rich man. He is a millionaire. If he wanted to pay Joyce then he would have done so years ago.

Why on earth would he want to pay Joyce a penny?

Morrissey is a very rich man. He is a millionaire. If he wanted to pay Joyce then he would have done so years ago.

That's the point. Morrissey doesn't pay Joyce. The NME pays Joyce. Somewhere in London one sworn enemy pays another, eliminating both, while he clinks champagne flutes with Merck in a swanky Roman bistro. That's his delicious victory.

That's the point. Morrissey doesn't pay Joyce. The NME pays Joyce. Somewhere in London one sworn enemy pays another, eliminating both, while he clinks champagne flutes with Merck in a swanky Roman bistro. That's his delicious victory.

I'm lost.

As delicious as that prospect might be to our Moz, I'm sure the prospect of winning damages from the NME *and* whisking them away from under Joyce's nose would be even more delicious.

I do wonder if Joyce could apply to seize any damages awarded though. My knowledge of law in this area is lacking, but it seems logical that he would / should be able to given that it would be a judgement in an English court.

How can we say if he should sue? We don't know what actually took place during the interview, if he's been misquoted, etc. I don't think he should sue (and don't think he should have the right to sue) if he's merely upset about the opinion the NME has about things he said.

NME ought to have freedom of speech as well as the famous celebrities they cover. If NME wants to attack a public figure over his political views, why don't they have the right to do so? I'm speaking as an American, where protecting freedom of speech and freedom of press is more important than it is in the UK. The UK has become a hotbed of defamation lawsuits from the rich, the famous, and the powerful because the laws are stacked to shield the rich, the famous, and the powerful from attacks in the media.

I personally think the NME was unfair to Morrissey. I don't share many of Morrissey's views, but I don't think he said anything (in this instance, or in most every instance outside of his advocacy of the Animal Rights Militia) that is "beyond the pale" of respectable discourse, and I don't think he said anything that is racist. Their reaction to his comments is so typical of those (particularly leftists) who seek to silence discussion on complicated topics. In this case, the NME sends the message that if you dare speak openly about your concerns about immigration you might be labeled a racist. This sort of reaction can only help parties like the BNP, who can then cry out: "We're the only ones with the BALLS to speak about these issues that you're all thinking and whispering about! Come join us!"

But whatever my opinion of the NME's treatment of Morrissey is, and however much I defend Morrissey's right to speak his mind, I don't see why the NME doesn't have the right to attack Morrissey's comments as long as they accurately report/quote what his comments were. The idea that the NME is required to serve the celebrities they cover and simply be used by them to promote product is absurd, but that is the line people in this forum are taking. In my opinion, the NME has every right to take whatever position they desire regarding Morrissey's words/views, and attack him however much they'd like, so long as they do not lie about what he said. Morrissey's lyrics and interviews frequently venture into controversial subjects and that is cool and brave. Except now he's being a pussy over a magazine disagreeing with him and that is pathetic.

If the NME is unfair and silly in their coverage, the readers can judge that and the NME will pay a price. But we don't need courts to silence the press if they say a disparaging word about the public figures they cover. The press does not exist solely to be tools of the celebrity to promote the celebrity as the celebrity desires.

Frankly, I'm surprised Morrissey's comments on immigration cause the most controversy when this is a man who gave his full and enthusiastic support to those who commit acts of terrorist violence such as sending nail bombs to the family residences of scientists working on cures for cancer and AIDS. I never thought Morrissey should be silenced or boycotted over those views which I find utterly dispicable and indefensible, but I sure think he deserved to be attacked way more than he was over them. This immigration stuff really doesn't raise much of an eyebrow for me. Immigration has big impacts on countries and their citizens and the people should be allowed to openly discuss what the immigration policies of their government should be. I may not agree with many of the attacks on Mexican illegal aliens in the Southwest of the USA (I actually don't feel much concerned at all about the Mexican illegal alien situation), but I can totally understand why it's a big topic of discussion for the people in the cities they most effect. Not all of these people hate Mexicans or are racist and they should not be labeled as such just because they think there's too many people pouring over the border in too short a time period.

I find it interesting that so many of the folks rushing to have Morrissey's back are some of the same people who have unjustly called me all sorts of labels and slurs simply because I'm not a fan of Islam and have concerns about the large numbers of radical, fundamentalist, unassimilated Islamist immigrants in Western Europe, and agree with writer Sam Harris when he wrote:

The same failure of liberalism is evident in Western Europe, where the dogma of multiculturalism has left a secular Europe very slow to address the looming problem of religious extremism among its immigrants. The people who speak most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually fascists. To say that this does not bode well for liberalism is an understatement: It does not bode well for the future of civilization.

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-end-of-liberalism/

I generally support very liberal immigration policies for my country (the USA) and am also very tolerant of illegal aliens. But I do worry about Islamist extremists coming to the West in large numbers, and I don't appreciate being constantly labeled things because I am concerned about it. I wish the Morrissey-Solo community were as fair to everyone as they want the NME to be fair to Morrissey. But I understand why that's not the case, as Morrissey is a celebrity many here worship. So, Morrissey should sue the NME out of existance because they disagree with his discomfort about too many foreigners and too much foreign cultural influence in England, but Theo should be run off of SoLow because he merely doesn't like Islamist-fascists running around the West spitting on women who aren't covered from head to toe, bullying and threatening everyone they disagree with, and actively recruiting people to blow up subways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom