'Charlie Bubbles' film

The Goat

Banned
Does anyone have a copy of this classic 1967 film starring Albert Finney? - presumably recorded off the TV as according to amazon there are no video's or dvd's of the film available.
I dont want to buy or borrow it from you, just ask a few questions about it!
Please send a private message.

Incidentally, before someone says this is an off topic thread, what are the 4 Smiths / Morrissey connections with the film? (and being extensively filmed around Manchester / Salford is not one of them!

Thanks
The Goat

Last edited:
I only saw it on TV in 1989 when Channel 4 was running a season of 60s classics on Sunday evening, love to watch it again.
Pity it's not available on VHS/DVD.
Unfortunately I don't know the connection with The Smiths/Morrissey, perhaps Morrissey quoted some dialogs in the film?

1. Written by Shelagh Delaney

2. Billie Whitelaw's image was used for the second, revised cover of "William It Was Really Nothing"

3. Billie Whitelaw appeared in the video for "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

4. Directed by Albert Finney

I suppose 2 and 3 could be combined as one, but if so, what's the fourth connection?

Those indeed are Smiths connections. But I think there are less obvious ones actually in the film. But if the truth be told they are probably more connected to the author than the band......I'm sure there are other people who might be interested,off topic or not.

Last edited:
The Goat is asking you to send a PM!:eek:

Worm, even you don't know a thing about The Smiths...yep, it's really tough one!

If you know the answer, send a PM to The Goat.;)

1. Written by Shelagh Delaney

2. Billie Whitelaw's image was used for the second, revised cover of "William It Was Really Nothing"

3. Billie Whitelaw appeared in the video for "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

4. Directed by Albert Finney

I suppose 2 and 3 could be combined as one, but if so, what's the fourth connection?

You're absolutely right, but there's one more thing, which is the toughest Smiths & film questions of all.

I'm not allowed to give you a hint, so please send a PM to The Goat.;)

Thanks Kewpie
Answers can be posted here, just the bit about the film can be PM'd.

OK, I actually forgot about Billie Whitelaw being in the video to Everyday is like Sunday!

But yes, Shelagh Delaney wrote the screenplay, Albert Finney was a member of Salford Lads Club, a picture of Billie Whitelaw was a Smiths cover.

I have actually found another connection!
Another Smiths single cover star featured in the film too.

The last connection clue is this - One of the scenes was filmed at a place mentioned in a Smiths / Morrissey song and here is another clue, it was not a Manchester related place!

The Goat :)

Hmmm. That's a good one. I like these. Unfortunately I haven't seen the movie so I haven't a clue...hope you or someone else will answer this soon. And I do hope you aren't referring to a scene at a London YWCA...

The Whitelaw sleeve is one of my favorites. The front and back photos are wonderful, the shade of blue he chose for the cover was perfect, and the font is lovely. Also happens to be my favorite Smiths single, with all three tracks being classics. The B-side label is currently my avatar.

Thanks Worm
I shall give the answer later tonight!
No it wasnt a YWCA!

So who was the other Smiths single cover star in the film?

What Smiths / Morrissey lyrical related place was used as a backdrop during the film?

The Goat

The other smiths cover star was Yootha Joyce.

We have a winner!
Correct, Yootha Joyce (cover of 'Ask') was also in the film.
....now, that location.....!!!!

The Goat

newport pagnall?

Grim
CORRECT! On their way to Manchester, Albert Finney and Liza Minnelli stop off at Newport Pagnell for a bite to eat.
Go to the top of the class.... but I figure that was more of a lucky guess than you knowing, hence the ? at the end of your answer.
You win a signed copy of 'Morrissey's Manchester' as a reward!!! :D

The Goat

Mr O'Grady's "question mark" is dripping with sarcasm possibly ?

nah it was a guess! & I'd like my 'prize' to go to children in need (now that bit was sarcasm)

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom