Celebrities and their schooldays - Morrissey included

I want to hug Thom Yorke.

Same with Jo Rowling, she was a forlorn little thing:

"She was a very quiet child. I don't remember her ever answering a question - she would go to great lengths to avoid responding."

^^Yes, and to clarify, he was supposed to write about his favorite book - he chose the dictionary - and the teacher flipped. (I have a hard time imagining how awful a school like his would have been. At my school he would have been worshipped for his originality). I'm wondering if this or the NYD collage incident happened with this teacher. How many English/Art teachers could he have had?

Just about everything this woman says rubs me the wrong way, but in particular I'd like to know how she thinks she can say he wasn't "the cleverest..." when obviously history has shown that he was in fact THE CLEVEREST student who ever attended that school. If there were hordes of brilliant doctors, writers, artists, actors, etc. who were "cleverer" than Morrissey leaving that school in the droves I'd like to know who they are.

In conclusion, I call bullshit on pretty much everything that woman said.

The dictionary story is fantastic :) - in that school, the "cleverest" was probably the one who had all the "right" answers, as taught by them, without even questioning. It doesn't mean anything. Einstein, for instance, failed an examination that would have allowed him to study electric engineering in Zurich, so... :rolleyes:

At my school he would have been worshipped for his originality.

Hmmm, interesting, Claudia. Where is that school, roughly?

Just about everything this woman says rubs me the wrong way

if I were a cat I'd rub against your legs to claim you. :p (sadly, I'm not a promiscuous kitty.)

Anyway.

My question about foetuses in the national curriculum has not been answered so please Brits (okay then, Belarussians :rolleyes:) answer me and let's have a sirius discussion about education.

Also: In terms of teaching abilities: please compare Mrs Power with

View attachment 6099

and

View attachment 6100

Thank you.

My question about foetuses in the national curriculum has not been answered so please Brits (okay then, Belarussians :rolleyes:) answer me and let's have a sirius discussion about education.

I'm not a Brit, but it seems national curriculum didn't have foetuses at that time.
Clearly Mrs Power was showing off what she did at her class.

Is that directed to me, by any chance? :D I'm half Belarussian, half British, so I don't mind what you call me.
ANYWAY, in answer to your question, no, showing pictures of aborted foetuses is not in the National Curriculum as far as I know, and if it was, it would probably be either in Biology or R.S., almost certainly not in Art or English. Saying that, I did see a picture of an aborted foetus in English, but that was to do with talks by the students and the teacher was not involved in the content of the talks.

There was no national curriculum at the time. The National Curriculum was introduced by the Thatcher government. Before that the curriculum was decided by teachers and the exam boards.

There was no national curriculum at the time. The National Curriculum was introduced by the Thatcher government. Before that the curriculum was decided by teachers and the exam boards.

I wondered whether or not what I said was relevent. :o Still, quite what aborted foetuses have to do Art or English is beyond me.

If it was a Catholic school, the aborted fetuses (I'm sorry - the Brit spelling is too difficult for my tired brain at the moment) would most likely be part of religious instruction. Not a regular part of religious instruction by any means, if my experience was typical. I went to Catholic schools for my entire pre-university education, and once we had a medical doctor give a talk about abortion that included a few horrible photos. It didn't scar me for life, and I was militantly pro-choice for many years. I'm still pro-choice, but just not militant anymore. It's not a black & white/ good vs. evil issue.

Mrs. Woolf wrote an excellent posting on the main board - she used to work as an interpreter in an abortion clinic and gives a very balanced view.

It isn't always about "freedom" for the woman, sometimes the women (girls really) are being exploited and pushed around, or in dire economic circumstances.

Anyway, sorry if I got preachy for a moment. I meant to say I don't mind where Morrissey stands; what he or anyone else thinks is not a threat. Let people have their opinions.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for answering me, that was very enlightening. Didn't know that about the national curriculum. I did work in a British school for a year and never saw anything like this

View attachment 6104

in the staff room, so I was getting paranoid that they had hidden the placards because of me...:mad:

Mars_Rover says what Morrissey or anyone else thinks is not a threat, well, I beg to differ.

As a female born in the seventies in a western European country, there are things I benefit from that people have fought for, for a very long time sometimes, before I appeared. I didn't have to do anything to have the right to learn how to read and write (alfough I'm still lernning tat :D), work, vote, have access to contraceptive methods. (should I need them...:rolleyes:)

From to the right to go on strike to paid holidays, all that was offered to me on a silver tray. If we were to live without hot water or electricity all of a sudden I would probably grin and bear it, but if everybody in my country decided that death penalty is actually a very civilized way to disciplin a population, I would feel very sick.

When we take the rights we have for granted, then that's when we're in trouble. You should always sleep with one eye open. My grandfather spent four years in a prisoners' camp in Germany for me not to live in a fascist state. And I bet most of you, even German, look at the past and can't believe it's so recent. I bet you can feel the chill sometimes.

So, my point is, abortion is a right. I'm not saying it's ideal. If society was ideal, we wouldn't need it. We wouldn't need to fight for rights either.

I mean, we could also all lie down and let Sarkozy, Berlusconi, and Sarah Palin rule the world. Oh wait, we already do.

As for Morrissey, what he thinks/ thought doesn't matter in the least to me (except when he agrees with me, but that never happens). But the thing is, he's a celeb, and celebs influence people. Especially young/ fragile/ troubled people, just like catholic teachers, who can do what they please in their classroom, influence the Northern England teenagers trapped in their awful school.

:sick: Poor baby!

Back
Top Bottom