Bad tracks on Quarry

B

Baz

Does anyone else agree that this new album is possibly his first one ever that doesn't contain one bad song?

I initially thought maybe Im Not Sorry and Let Me Kiss You could be the fillers, but after reading some messages on here, I gave them another listten and hell yeah, they are great. I would still swap them both for The Never Played Symphonies though!

But ultimately, I think this album is his most consistent ever, not his best ever, but there are really no bad songs on here.

Did Maladjusted have a single bad song on it?

> Does anyone else agree that this new album is possibly his first one ever
> that doesn't contain one bad song?

> I initially thought maybe Im Not Sorry and Let Me Kiss You could be the
> fillers, but after reading some messages on here, I gave them another
> listten and hell yeah, they are great. I would still swap them both for
> The Never Played Symphonies though!

> But ultimately, I think this album is his most consistent ever, not his
> best ever, but there are really no bad songs on here.

> Did Maladjusted have a single bad song on it?

Are you joking? A couple of them are nightmare inducing.

I like the 'weaker' tracks on YATQ to the 'weaker' ones on Vauxhall, so I think it probably is his best album. At the same time, I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie as the easiest point of entry to Moz world.

I personally don't like How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel.

Despite this minor glitch, YATQ is pharquing excellent.

> Are you joking? A couple of them are nightmare inducing.

I agree. Papa Jack, Roy's Keen and He Cried in particular are three of Moz's worst ever songs. Roy's Keen is also easily his worst ever single.

As for Quarry, I'm not mad on I Have Forgiven Jesus, Come Back To Camden (although I do think both of these are better songs than Jerry Finn has produced), I'm Not Sorry (a bit dull), How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? (like Southpaw's weaker moments) or All The Lazy Dykes (because it reminds me of Michael's Bones, which I'm also not terribly keen on). Worst of all is ...Crashing Bores though, which seems to have got progressively worse in every incarnation since it originally made his live set.

> I like the 'weaker' tracks on YATQ to the 'weaker' ones on Vauxhall, so I
> think it probably is his best album. At the same time, I wouldn't
> recommend it to a newbie as the easiest point of entry to Moz world.

As far as I'm concerned, YATQ is nowhere near as good as Vauxhall or Your Arsenal. For me, it's even more patchy than Viva Hate. Not sure which tracks on Vauxhall you're referring to, but there's nothing on there that I'd say is as bad as the five tracks I've mentioned. I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if Quarry was my first exposure to Moz, unlike maybe Bona Drag which covers early bases pretty well.

WTF are you talking about?? Roy´s keen his worst single? That funny little classic?
The only two tracks that doesnt stand out for me on Quarry is America and Im not sorry. But bad tracks? Nah!

Ón Maladjusted I didnt get the title track and Papa Jack. But I reckon the best songs on Maldjusted, Roy´s keen, Trouble loves, Sorrow will come, Satan, are a little bit better than the best tracks on Quarry. But, that could change for me. My favourites on Quarry are changing all the time, it used to be ATLD, but now it is I Like you and Let me kiss you.

Sure, this will after some time will be as great as Maladjusted and Southpaw for me.

> I agree. Papa Jack, Roy's Keen and He Cried in particular are three of
> Moz's worst ever songs. Roy's Keen is also easily his worst ever single.

> As for Quarry, I'm not mad on I Have Forgiven Jesus, Come Back To Camden
> (although I do think both of these are better songs than Jerry Finn has
> produced), I'm Not Sorry (a bit dull), How Could Anybody Possibly Know How
> I Feel? (like Southpaw's weaker moments) or All The Lazy Dykes (because it
> reminds me of Michael's Bones, which I'm also not terribly keen on). Worst
> of all is ...Crashing Bores though, which seems to have got progressively
> worse in every incarnation since it originally made his live set.

> As far as I'm concerned, YATQ is nowhere near as good as Vauxhall or Your
> Arsenal. For me, it's even more patchy than Viva Hate. Not sure which
> tracks on Vauxhall you're referring to, but there's nothing on there that
> I'd say is as bad as the five tracks I've mentioned. I'd be thoroughly
> underwhelmed if Quarry was my first exposure to Moz, unlike maybe Bona
> Drag which covers early bases pretty well.

When a Morrissey song grates it really grates. I keep Viva Hate at the back of a cupboard just in case I hear it accidentally.

For me, the only problem with Vauxhall is that Now My Heart Is Full, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself and Speedway are so stupendously good the other tracks place in comparison. In context, Billy Budd and Spring-heeled Jim are solid enough, but I'd no more listen to them as stand alone songs than, for example, Vicar In A Tutu.

It's early days yet but there's certainly something to each and every YATQ track that stands up to repeated plays.

I don't think he's every going to make a perfect album as his ambitions will always be greater than his ability. Which is frankly fantastic. The compliation albums are always better, even with The Smiths. Some of the albums I've seen getting 9s and 10s just recently are very fine things but on a much smaller scale. It's like comparing a delicate, 'perfect' watercolour sketch to the Sistine Chapel. I really love the new Shins album but I doubt it'll change anyone's life.

I don't agree with you on Maladjusted.

I do agree some of the songs on Quarry are sketchy and not fully formed.

I think Morrissey tried to re-create Vauxhall and that was his mistake.

'I'm Not Sorry' = 'I am Hated for Loving'
'You Know I Couldn't' = 'Speedway'
etc.

> I agree. Papa Jack, Roy's Keen and He Cried in particular are three of
> Moz's worst ever songs. Roy's Keen is also easily his worst ever single.

> As for Quarry, I'm not mad on I Have Forgiven Jesus, Come Back To Camden
> (although I do think both of these are better songs than Jerry Finn has
> produced), I'm Not Sorry (a bit dull), How Could Anybody Possibly Know How
> I Feel? (like Southpaw's weaker moments) or All The Lazy Dykes (because it
> reminds me of Michael's Bones, which I'm also not terribly keen on). Worst
> of all is ...Crashing Bores though, which seems to have got progressively
> worse in every incarnation since it originally made his live set.

> As far as I'm concerned, YATQ is nowhere near as good as Vauxhall or Your
> Arsenal. For me, it's even more patchy than Viva Hate. Not sure which
> tracks on Vauxhall you're referring to, but there's nothing on there that
> I'd say is as bad as the five tracks I've mentioned. I'd be thoroughly
> underwhelmed if Quarry was my first exposure to Moz, unlike maybe Bona
> Drag which covers early bases pretty well.

> WTF are you talking about?? Roy´s keen his worst single? That funny little
> classic?
> The only two tracks that doesnt stand out for me on Quarry is America and
> Im not sorry. But bad tracks? Nah!

It always baffles me when I hear people stand up for Roy's Keen. It's a rare case (King Leer is another example) in Moz's solo output where musically it's pretty good, but lyrically it's just appalling. From the title on it's just horrendously misguided.

Just goes to show how people's opinions differ, and there's nothing wrong with that. This is how the messageboard should be. I've seen countless people on here panning America Is Not The World, which I actually think is one of the stronger tracks on YATQ. Apart from the whole Estonia/fat pig bit, which is probably as misguided as the whole "keener window cleaner" lyric in Roy's Keen.

Back
Top Bottom