Athens, Greece concert breaks attendance records - true-to-you.net

UPDATE 5:00PM PT:

Link posted by MORRIZSEY:

Press release from Susan Blond: Morrissey breaks attendance record at Lycabettus Arena in Athens - true-to-you.net
18 July 2012

Press release from Susan Blond:

MORRISSEY BREAKS ATTENDANCE RECORD AT LYCABETTUS ARENA IN ATHENS

Morrissey's July 16th show at Lycabettus Arena in Athens, Greece broke an attendance record that was previously held by Radiohead, as 9,000 people forced their way into a 5,500 capacity venue.

Security officials gave up as 3,500 broke through the main doors. The head of security, who has served the venue for 30 years, said, "I have never seen such determined people."

The stage had already been moved back 4 meters to accommodate the capacity crowd but non-ticketed patrons also lined observation points to the left and right of the arena.

Morrissey said he was "delighted and humbled" by the Athens reception and delivered a blistering set combining new songs such as "Scandinavia" and "Action is my middle name" as well as older songs including "You have killed me" and "I'm throwing my arms around Paris".

Morrissey is currently wrapping up his European tour and will hit the stage in October for his North American tour. He remains without a record deal.

crowd_at_morrissey_concert_in_athens_16_july_2012_02.jpg

From True To You:-

Athens, Greece
18 July 2012

On July 16th Morrissey's concert in Athens, Greece broke the box-office attendance record previously held by Radiohead. 9,000 people attended a 5,300 capacity venue where security said they were powerless to stop 3,700 extra people from entering the arena.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a single thing on the planet that scousers won't somehow try and make about them? Jesus.

It's an interesting bit of info. Nothing more.

Sorry pal but I am not a scouser and it was me that raised the topic so YOU are a ____ ___ my friend.

UPDATE From True To You:-

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_120718_01

Morrissey's July 16th show at Lycabettus Arena in Athens, Greece broke an attendance record that was previously held by Radiohead, as 9,000 people forced their way into a 5,500 capacity venue.

Security officials gave up as 3,500 broke through the main doors. The head of security, who has served the venue for 30 years, said, "I have never seen such determined people."

The stage had already been moved back 4 meters to accommodate the capacity crowd but non-ticketed patrons also lined observation points to the left and right of the arena.

Morrissey said he was "delighted and humbled" by the Athens reception and delivered a blistering set combining new songs such as "Scandinavia" and "Action is my middle name" as well as older songs including "You have killed me" and "I'm throwing my arms around Paris".

Morrissey is currently wrapping up his European tour and will hit the stage in October for his North American tour. He remains without a record deal.

I'm so happy for Morrissey! This just proves what an incredible and unmatched artist he truly is...

This is just a stunt by Morrissey to try and get a record deal - as were the LA shows last year. He fails to realize that major labels (he won't consider an indie) don't make money off of tickets. Morrissey, record and mix an album in 4 weeks for $75k and be done with it. Shit or get off the pot.

Someone, somewhere will somehow always find a way to turn an innocuous story about Morrissey against him, or at the very least, put a negative spin on it. It never, ever fails.

"He remains without a record deal"

That was his catchphrase.

This is just a stunt by Morrissey to try and get a record deal - as were the LA shows last year. He fails to realize that major labels (he won't consider an indie) don't make money off of tickets. Morrissey, record and mix an album in 4 weeks for $75k and be done with it. Shit or get off the pot.

Even if it was a PR stunt, it is not a bad one. He has nothing to lose. The point is, a LOT people do pay a LOT of money to see him, and he deserves a deal.

Lots of shitty bands with shitty songs have record contacts...that he doesn't have one is a joke. As bad as Scandinavia is, it's still better than almost anything anyone new is doing.

Morrissey's throwaways > other people's hit singles...in most cases.

Athenians and Greeks probably find a lot of comfort in Morrissey's music at this particular time in their history.

I thnk that photo is mightily impressive by the way. Who cares about subtexts? and I don't think its a PR stunt, if i could see a gig for free from some cliffs in the height of summer I would. Sadly I live in the UK

A strange thing to be proud of in my opinion. The organisers could be preparing to explain this "feat" to an Athenian coroner.

I once watched Swansea City play Panathinaikos from the hills overlooking the Vetch. Unfortunately Panathinaikos play in all green so from two miles away you couldn't see them at all.

A strange thing to be proud of in my opinion. The organisers could be preparing to explain this "feat" to an Athenian coroner.

I once watched Swansea Town play Panathinaikos from the hills overlooking the Vetch. Unfortunately Panathinaikos play in all green so from two miles away you couldn't see them at all.

The caravans and the pegs couldn't have helped either?

Is there a single thing on the planet that scousers won't somehow try and make about them? Jesus.

It's an interesting bit of info. Nothing more.

No one made this about scousers you tit. There was no suggestion that this was against us, just that as someone who has suffered at the hands of piss poor organisation and overcrowding leading to death, I feel bragging about it is sick.

The problem with all this, is that Morrissey dared to mention that he was delighted about his Greeks fans. There is a feeling that Moz belongs to the U.S. fans or the English ones. I have witnessed almost racist coments about "why he likes bloody Mexicans?". "Why he feels so good in Chile and not in Alabama?" "Why he schedules giggs in Oporto/Portugal as long as there is no gig in Brighton?". Many fans of Morrissey act like Madonna's fans. He should do this... He should not do that... HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS and HEART HAS A HEART OF ITS OWN you few stupid idiots. Morrissey will never be a pleaser of anyone. If he had burnt on stage the book that was given to him or whipped with the mic the front row fans in Athens many would have been really happy in here!

I didn't know he's now promoted by Susan Blond. She's a pr person here in nyc.
I thought he was represented by Girlie Action.

UPDATE From True To You:-

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_120718_01

"The head of security, who has served the venue for 30 years"

Bloody hell, this security guy must be on his last legs, as far as security guys go. It must have been like charging past Roy Cropper to get to his bacon rolls.

You don't have a clue! I was in Lycabettus on Monday and it was completely packed. I actually thought that I have never seen the theater so full ever before. Stop bitching without proper information!

As I mentioned elsewhere, there's a real sub-text to this statement, a frantic waving of hands, saying "I'm still current, I'm still packing 'em in" - I mean Radiohead - they're a huge band, no? And very current.

P.

It's tossers like you making moronic statements like that who have killed this site. If you despise Morrissey so much, why don't you and Tseng just close this site or re-name it Morrissey-haters.com? Then you can put negative spin on everything to your heart's content.

When I say this was a stunt - I don't doubt that the venue really was packed way beyond capacity. I believe that and the numbers given. What is a "stunt" is this press release. The key line is the last one about him not having a record deal. Morrissey wrongly thinks major labels give a shit about him selling lots of concert tickets. Concert tickets are not albums/singles and major labels don't care. Morrissey is holding out for a major label deal which will never, ever happen again. If Morrissey continues to hold out for one, Years of Refusal will be the last recorded output by Moz. He is simply too proud at this point to go indie.

When I say this was a stunt - I don't doubt that the venue really was packed way beyond capacity. I believe that and the numbers given. What is a "stunt" is this press release. The key line is the last one about him not having a record deal. Morrissey wrongly thinks major labels give a shit about him selling lots of concert tickets. Concert tickets are not albums/singles and major labels don't care. Morrissey is holding out for a major label deal which will never, ever happen again. If Morrissey continues to hold out for one, Years of Refusal will be the last recorded output by Moz. He is simply too proud at this point to go indie.

You_Dont_Say

It's tossers like you making moronic statements like that who have killed this site. If you despise Morrissey so much, why don't you and Tseng just close this site or re-name it Morrissey-haters.com? Then you can put negative spin on everything to your heart's content.

So it's OK to slag me and David off but not Morrissey? Anyway, at least you have a platform to say what you want. Which you have been doing for some time now, Mr. Anonymous.

P.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom