ANOTHER NEW SMITHS BOOK!

• Thread starter librarian on acid
  • Start date
L

librarian on acid

Clear another few centimetres on your book shelves.

Just seen this on Amazon, out October 2003.

A book on Meat Is Murder, part of a classic albums series thing written by Joe Pernice of the band The Pernice Brothers! Weird huh?

Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/082641494X

> Clear another few centimetres on your book shelves.

> Just seen this on Amazon, out October 2003.

> A book on Meat Is Murder, part of a classic albums series thing written by
> Joe Pernice of the band The Pernice Brothers! Weird huh?

> Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/082641494X

Whatever happened to the book "Saint Steven" which was supposed to be out about two years ago.......or the channel 4 documentary that was said to be showing this month ?

> Whatever happened to the book "Saint Steven" which was supposed
> to be out about two years ago.......or the channel 4 documentary that was
> said to be showing this month ?

I've never heard anybody talk about what happened to this book, but don't you think that it would have been published by now unless Morrissey's lawyers had stepped in and threatened the publisher?

I can't see any other reason for the delay. And it depresses me to think this way, but it seems a likely theory. Same with the Pat Reid book.

> I've never heard anybody talk about what happened to this book, but don't
> you think that it would have been published by now unless Morrissey's
> lawyers had stepped in and threatened the publisher?

> I can't see any other reason for the delay. And it depresses me to think
> this way, but it seems a likely theory. Same with the Pat Reid book.

The last I'd heard, Mark Simpson had bought back the rights to St. Morrissey from Little, Brown, & Co. and was searching for a new publisher. You may want to access his website from the news archive to see if any updates have been posted.

No idea about Pat Reid's book. Occasionally, he will pop up on this site and give a progress report. Or he did on one or two occasions in the past.

Cheers,

Jamie

Joe Pernice's "Meat Is Murder"

From the official Pernice Brothers website:

Book update:
Meat is Murder by Joe Pernice will be out in October. It’s part of Thirty Three and a Third, a new series of short books about critically acclaimed and much-loved albums of the past 40 years. By turns obsessive, passionate, creative, and informed, the books in this series demonstrate many different ways of writing about music, and all of the authors - musicians, scholars, broadcasters, and writers - are huge fans of the album they have chosen.

Joe’s words:
About a year ago I received a suspicious email from a guy at Continuum Books in New York City. He said they were putting together a series of short books about music. Each book would be about a single album, and would I be interested in writing one? I don't know if he'd read any of my press, and thus had some inside information or not, but he suggested an album by the Smiths. He suggested The Queen is Dead, but my scheming little mind had Meat is Murder in the cross hairs.
Well, I was certainly intrigued. Even a little flattered. But to be honest, I had suffered through my share of paper writing in graduate school and had spent my last drop of critical juice back in 1997. By the time I finished my graduate degree, I was so burned-out on paper writing that I actually convinced an unsuspecting professor who was a distant fan of my first two records to let me write a ten page paper (my last) on post modernism IN MY OWN MUSIC! Give me a break. I don't know who deserves the bigger throttling for that one. Probably me. No wonder the American educational system is a wreck. I still have not the slightest clue as to what post modernism is.

So a critical book on Meat is Murder was completely out. But the album was so monumental in my life, I had to pay tribute to it. I started thinking about writing a piece of fiction (to protect the innocent and guilty, plus it would be more fun) that would show just how important that record was to a nameless, scrawny, horny, American kid suffering through Catholic school in the deep South Shore of Boston. I ran the idea by my soon-to-be editor, and he went for it.

A week after the Pernice Brothers finished mixing our latest album Yours, Mine and Ours, I cleaned out a five-foot by four-foot patch of floor in a storage closet, wrestled my desk and computer in past years worth of musical equipment that is literally touching the ceiling around me, and set to it. It should be finished by the end of April. Actually, it had better be done by the end of April or I'm in breech, which is all I need. I'm just waiting for my editor to say, "You know Joe, I don't hear a hit."

Pernice Brothers
photo.jpg

> I've never heard anybody talk about what happened to this book, but don't
> you think that it would have been published by now unless Morrissey's
> lawyers had stepped in and threatened the publisher?

> I can't see any other reason for the delay. And it depresses me to think
> this way, but it seems a likely theory. Same with the Pat Reid book.

I think that's as good an explanation as any.The have went the same way as the "South With Morrissey" video.

> I think that's as good an explanation as any.The have went the same way as
> the "South With Morrissey" video.

Yep, I think so. Which is such a pity, because the Simpson book sounds excellent.

Re: Joe Pernice's "Meat Is Murder"

I've never heard of the Pernice Brothers, but I just listened to the samples on their website and they seem excellent. I hear a bit of Bob Mould, a touch of Kitchens of Distinction and especially on the song 'Judy' a big dollop of Vauxhall era Moz.

Re: Joe Pernice's "Meat Is Murder"

> I've never heard of the Pernice Brothers, but I just listened to the
> samples on their website and they seem excellent.

They get unfairly lumped in the alt.country scene, which probably puts a few people off investigating them any further. But they're really more of a good jangly pop band, and in Joe Pernice the have a singer/songwriter every bit as dry, witty, self-deprecating and depressive. The two Pernice Brother albums, "Overcome By Happiness" and "The World Won't End" are both fantastic, as are Joe's sole albums, "Big Tobacco" and 'Chappaquidick Skyline", which has a neat cover of New Order's "Leave Me Alone".

Interestingly, alt.country press-darling Ryan Adams also cited "Meat Is Murder" as the "reocrd that changed his life" in Uncut magazine last year.