An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Yea! Hopefully they do release demos with it and not just some live show from 95. I have tons of those!

Yea! Hopefully they do release demos with it and not just some live show from 95. I have tons of those!

Sorry... new to this thread. Thought it would post my reply up in the history after the original...
This was a comment about hopes of DEMOS being on the Monster reissue this year.

Glad to be here! I've already found some stuff I didn't have.
I'm an old TAPE trader from the 90s (and eventually cdr trader of course in the 2000s).
I've got no problem uploading the "Live for 99x" promo here to share because I want other people to share stuff I want! Trading is cool, but FREE FOR EVERYONE is even better!
I have the real actual professionally made cd direct from Warner Brothers. I was in the radio business from 92-96 and was SURE to keep a good connection at Warner Brothers long after that for my R.E.M. addiction!

I have a question.
Why does everyone on ANY sites like this use weird (crappy) file sharing tools that the links go away after a few weeks?
Why doesn't anyone use GOOGLE DRIVE (or similar KNOWN tools)?
Is it a security thing? Afraid of sharing a link with the world and getting hacked?
WHERE / How should I share stuff? And why a particular site over another?

If it was behind the login, I'd say Google was fine. But Wetransfer or an anonymous Mega account is the best bet. After years of compiling U2 stuff, it's daunting to think of all the REM rarities out there!

Glad to be here! I've already found some stuff I didn't have.

I used to use a crappy storage server simply because of lack of knowledge on the subject. I found one and stuck to it for a while. Now I have a MediaFire account and can share some stuff through that, with limits. I'm willing to try Google Drive too, as I haven't used it yet.

If you register here, I'd be glad to share with you a link for a lot of stuff that I uploaded as a test and have no idea if it still works. We can set something up that way.

Last edited:
I used to use a crappy storage server simply because of lack of knowledge on the subject. I found one and stuck to it for a while. Now I have a MediaFire account and can share some stuff through that, with limits. I'm willing to try Google Drive too, as I haven't used it yet.

If you register here, I'd be glad to share with you a link for a lot of stuff that I uploaded as a test and have no idea if it still works. We can set something up that way.

I'm signed up as a member here now.
I also got a Mega account/storage area.

I'll get the 99x uploaded tonight or tomorrow!

Thanks Driver8rws. I need to go rummaging in boxes and fire up Audacity & EAC.

Does anyone have any interest in a collectors', em, collective?

Can anyone upload the Christmas Single Mike and Sally made for the Red Apple Foundation? Only version I can find is a really washy sounding upload on Youtube.

Question I've had for a while now...
Is it ever stated anywhere that Peter Buck wrote the liner notes for Eponymous?? I always thought so, but now I can't really find any evidence of that... I think maybe people are confused with Dead Letter Office and just assume he wrote the ones for Eponymous too.
Did some "I.R.S. Employee" write them?

I bring this up because of the "controversy" of the notes for Radio Free Europe on Eponymous. We ALL KNOW that the version on Eponymous is NOT the Hib-Tone 45 single version (ie Johnny Hibbert mix). It's really the Mitch Easter mix that "lost out" to Hibbert's mix.
So my question is, is it Peter Buck (and R.E.M. indirectly) that totally disavow any knowledge of Hibbert's mix and say that the Mitch Easter mix is "The Hib-Tone mix", even though it isn't.... Or is it someone at I.R.S. (That wrote the liner notes) saying this?

We ALL KNOW that the version on Eponymous is NOT the Hib-Tone 45 single version (ie Johnny Hibbert mix). It's really the Mitch Easter mix that "lost out" to Hibbert's mix.

I can't properly answer the main question, but... isn't this above the other way around? As far as I can remember, they hated Hibbert's mix and went with Easter's.

I can't properly answer the main question, but... isn't this above the other way around? As far as I can remember, they hated Hibbert's mix and went with Easter's.

No. What I said is true.

And what you said is true.

They DID hate Hibbert's mix, and wanted to use Easter's (that finally got released on Eponymous) but Hibbert trumped them and used HIS mix anyway on the Hib-Tone single.
I have the Hib-Tone 45. It is DEFINITELY NOT the same as what is on Eponymous...
The liner notes of Eponymous referring to THAT version on Eponymous being the Hib-Tone version is WRONG. It is NOT. It is Mitch Easter's mix that did not make it on to the Hib-Tone 45.
R.E.M. practically "denies the existence" of Hibbert's Hib tone 45 version and "claims" that the Easter version is the "real Hib-Tone" one. That is WRONG.
That has all been previously figured out many other times on other forums.

I just want to know who started/perpetuates that "denial". The band (Peter Buck in the liner notes) or I.R.S.?

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom