American guns strike again

there are 200 million guns in US households (including multiple guns owned by the same person..which is a normal scenario). a lot of the guns are for hunting

...there are like 350 million people. so you are wrong.

Is that the best you can do? What difference does it make?
200 million guns!! Blimey!!

And why do people use the word 'like' in the wrong context?

Answers on a postcard to: Voyeurnie, just left of you.

It's a tragedy what has happened. I'm sorry if this has already been bought up but I not ready every post, sorry I'm lazy. I was wondering if any of our American friends here believe that possession of a gun in America should be made illegal throughout the country like we have here in Britain?

If you read this thread from the begining, you didn't have to ask the question. :o

I'm very sorry for gertrude who has no sense of decency.

It's a tragedy what has happened. I'm sorry if this has already been bought up but I not ready every post, sorry I'm lazy. I was wondering if any of our American friends here believe that possession of a gun in America should be made illegal throughout the country like we have here in Britain?

it can never happen...america is not a small island. handguns will be smuggled into the country through mexico and canada. there will be more organized crime. Criminals will be the only ones with guns in this country. so you see, what works in england may not work here.

i would like to see strict gun laws, and strict background checks in every state. And i would like to see automatic and semi-automatic guns banned. Hunters who need automatic riffles to hunt are just bad hunters and need to find something new to do. and ordinary citizens don't need automatic or semi-automatic guns to protect themselves. Rarely do they even need to press a trigger in self-defense, and when they do, it's one or two shots needed.

I for one don't own a gun and never will, but the logistics of the situation in the US is one in which you cannot have a full-out ban in this country any time soon. maybe decades away.

but sensible and strict gun laws are needed.

Last edited:
as long as i can keep my
maglite.jpg

2004_skeindubh_220.jpg

whiskey_flasks_022.jpg

&
Leatherman.jpg

sure
no, maybe...

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvintl.html

old data but probably still fairly accurate. but who knows. a lot has changed since then.

it looks like guns are the choice method for americans to kill themselves. Look at the suicide rate in America compared to the other countries. Like I've been saying, America is too stressed out and it's unfortunate Americans are too stubborn and delusional about their greatness to see it.

In the Virginia Tech case, obviously the killer had severe emotional problems, an outsider with no friends. His parents were probably blind to his problems. But one has to wonder a few things. 1) would he have bothered to get a gun if it were harder to get one in the state of virginia...if he was medicated for depression, who knows what his medical records reveal 2) if semi-automatic handguns were banned, would people had been able to stop him? a semi-automatic allows you to kill ten people in five seconds, a manual allows you to kill only one or two in the same amount of time. People could have easily taken him down if it were a manual gun. Gun enthusiasts who need automatic guns because they are cool...GET A LIFE!!!

the virginia shootings

ok, what happened was bad but what about the thousands of iraqis americans have killed in iraq and afghanistan

americans dont hold memorials for them do they?

I'm basically of the same opinion as WinkWink. Make it tougher to obtain guns of any kind, and a ban on semi-automatic and other high-powered assault rifles is probably needed as well. No ban on all guns, though. Guns for self-defense are fine so long as there are thorough checks. Hunting I disapprove of personally, but they shouldn't be prohibited by law to do their thing. The bottom line is, sane people ought to be able to own guns-- but let's first do whatever we can to certify they're sane.

The matter of popular culture is something else. There is absolutely no question that there is a problem with violence in popular culture. I'll say two things about that worrisome subject: one, I don't think it should or even can be solved with legislation, and two, violence in American life is exaggerated in the media. Incidents such as this shooting at Virginia Tech are not representative of American life as a whole. The issues brought to light by this appalling massacre are real and they're important, but they should be addressed calmly and with clarity.

i want to know why it is getting so much coverage here in england
it doesnt concern us that all americans are psychopaths
americans love this kind of thing

they really should ban you dude!

i thought we got on
dont start your american arrogance with me

bush is probably relieved cuz this will take the disgrace in iraq off the news for a while
america could have a tighter law on guns if they wanted
you always have to look like the big bully though dont you

Do you ever post anything other than to provoke arguments? Typical troll behaviour. Watch your step.

Peter

(For once) I agree with Mike Joyce.
I heard both Phoney Blair and Lizzy 2nd comment publicy on this today offering the usual platitudes of sympathy etc.
Are we truely the 51st State of the USA?
I have worked in America before, for short periods of time and you have to scan the very very small print of news to find anything at all relating to the UK.
I remember my mum ringing me up to say the IRA (funded by Yanks) had bombed some part of the mainland UK and she was shitting herself that the end was nigh. It was given four lines in the New York Times......
I rest my case.

America. You are not the world.

Jukebox Jury (feeling that he may be turned away at immigration when he flys in for the Boston / Nothampton gigs in June)

(For once) I agree with Mike Joyce.
I heard both Phoney Blair and Lizzy 2nd comment publicy on this today offering the usual platitudes of sympathy etc.
Are we truely the 51st State of the USA?
I have worked in America before, for short periods of time and you have to scan the very very small print of news to find anything at all relating to the UK.
I remember my mum ringing me up to say the IRA (funded by Yanks) had bombed some part of the mainland UK and she was shitting herself that the end was nigh. It was given four lines in the New York Times......
I rest my case.

America. You are not the world.

Jukebox Jury (feeling that he may be turned away at immigration when he flys in for the Boston / Nothampton gigs in June)

exactly, thanks

i feel for the people that died but why do WE in this country need to hear about it
if this had happened in say asia or africa would it be top headlines, maybe when it happened but not the day after

we have our own problems without worrying about americas

Do you ever post anything other than to provoke arguments? Typical troll behaviour. Watch your step.

Peter

if this is typical troll behavior, then you as moderator surely have some power to get him banned?

You mods give out so many public warnings, even going so far as calling it "trolling", but you never do anything about it.

Because America is the world!!!

Oh that must piss you off, ...me Mr. Arrogant American. boo!!!

Go run in front of a moving train.

i thought we got on
we do not
you see
i put each frequent poster on a scale
and with each post of you make that i read
i reindex your position
you have now fallen into the 'ignore' category
and not by a little as others have done so
no
your crimes of bad posting fall more into the
Lord Goring & Chareth Cutestory category i fear :eek: