Morrissey Central "A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE MUSIC IS OURS" (April 19, 2024)

c4409c14d2e0c1a75462b212cf1845a1d9b6d4d9.jpg

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

1B2BFCEC-20AA-4738-B5DC-F134BF1C8207.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I always enjoy your visceral dislike of "I Am Veronica"! For me it towers above something like "Dagenham Dave". I love all the different vocal melody elements to it, even if it ends up being a weird song structure. (Agree with you re nonsensical, though, although presumably it makes some kind of sense to Morrissey?!)
At least Dave tells a story! A silly one, but still. And yes, weird song structure. To the point that all melody is lost and it sounds like it was written by twelve different people in twelve different rooms and no interaction between them. Incoherent nonsense musically and lyrically.

At least Dave tells a story! A silly one, but still. And yes, weird song structure. To the point that all melody is lost and it sounds like it was written by twelve different people in twelve different rooms and no interaction between them. Incoherent nonsense musically and lyrically.
Agree to disagree, but absolutely fair enough!

I've got to think he would only do this if there was a plan in place to release them.
I certainly agree with this thought. Primarily because the M word had to spend the M word in order to make this happen (but I admit I know very little, if anything of how the music industry actually works)...but someone had to give up some money.

And we all know very well how our Moz isn't in any way stingy with his money.

(insert choice of emoji here)

Be safe and well, all....

Nobody except Moaning Myrtle himself is waiting for a re-release of Worldpeace, his horrid holiday in Magaluf album. Terrible, terrible record, with only two decent songs on it. Why spend money on buying it back?

I hope Andrew Watt’s production qualities will make Bonfire a decent album. Let’s wait and see. Fingers crossed!

What an optimist I am!

I certainly agree with this thought. Primarily because the M word had to spend the M word in order to make this happen (but I admit I know very little, if anything of how the music industry actually works)...but someone had to give up some money.

Hearsay from a dubious source, but maybe worth a mention here as trivia: six months ago, Gavin McInnes said Ezra Levant wanted to buy Bonfire of Teenagers from Capitol.

I believe the assumption that he 'owned' the rights came from the media at the time calling Étienne his own label with regards to the reissue of the album (which was actually BMG in reality).
Harvest Records is owned by Capitol and that's probably how they had 'ownership' after the mess that ensued.
FWD.
Thanks, I did think Étienne was his own label.

This does explain why the ostensible answer to Morrissey’s recurring label conflicts suddenly disappeared: something I’d formerly put down to him recognising that the concept was seriously in danger of removing the opportunity for aggro.

Only a couple of days after I bought the CD second hand haha. If it gets re-released with even more bonus tracks I will cry myself to sleep. I'm excited about Bonfire though!! I'm always singing Sure Enough the Telephone Rings, and I'm desperate to hear the studio version.

Only a couple of days after I bought the CD second hand haha. If it gets re-released with even more bonus tracks I will cry myself to sleep. I'm excited about Bonfire though!! I'm always singing Sure Enough the Telephone Rings, and I'm desperate to hear the studio version.

Don't worry, World Peace... will probably get re-released with LESS tracks and maybe some drill and grime versions. That's how things in the Moz world tend to be; re-releases tend not to be better.

I now find a lot of the material to be insipid and boring and sometimes downright naff. Case in point:
Staircase At The University.
What the hell is the point of such a dreadfully titled song? The lyrics are absolutely, bowel-emptyingly trite;
"If you don't get three A's, her sweet daddy said, you're shame is sure to stain the family name."
Seriously, what is the song about? Exactly who is such a song aimed at? What is clever or incisive or informed about such utter, utter drivel?

To me those lyrics say education isn't it, and nor is the ridiculous level of family or societal pressure to 'succeed'

I mean it's perfectly fine reading and being educated if you want to be, but not solely because of how people tell you your life should be.

Personally, I think it's quite a vital message to convey in this world gone mad - and he does it in a hilarious manner; rhyming three A's with her head splitting three ways.

I mean that really makes me chortle, because whilst it's being communicated in a fairly dark way, it is also laced with his signature humour.

It has echoes of 'give up education as a bad mistake'.... (which is a similarly compelling and funny thing to say)

You're free to disagree, and I'm sure you will :)

Last edited:
Great news. Could this year result in a new release? We’ve had the following albums in years ending in 4:
The Smiths (debut), 1984
Vauxhall and I, 1994
You Are the Quarry, 2004
World Peace…, 2014

Nobody except Moaning Myrtle himself is waiting for a re-release of Worldpeace, his horrid holiday in Magaluf album. Terrible, terrible record, with only two decent songs on it. Why spend money on buying it back?

I hope Andrew Watt’s production qualities will make Bonfire a decent album. Let’s wait and see. Fingers crossed!

What an optimist I am!
have you typed out your 1 star review of bonfire of teenagers yet.

Happy that Moz has taken back his albums. Here's hoping they get released properly, even if it is self-released. The concert fans would lap them up at the merch bar. Why kowtow to braindead record labels?
Braindead record labels? All they want to do is make back their money and have a little prestige, not kowtow to their talent who refuse to acknowledge that they no longer can shift albums like they used to and then blame it on the label. At this point, you'd have to be a masochist to sign Morrissey. I just cannot see it happening ever again.

Coincidence that Michelle Jubelirer leaves Capitol and Morrissey soon after gets his albums back?

Seems she really may have been the roadblock
to getting those albums back earlier. That’s what it looks like, though, I guess we’ll never know.

Michelle, my hell … ;)

hmmmm, either that, or maybe the Mozi plane incident, really put the pressure on Capitol to sell the recordings back to him.

There are many factors that may or may not have come into play. Yes I know, I know, it’s always Morrissey’s fault. But only 700% of it usually is.

;)

Back
Top Bottom