Question 40 Years of Morrissey tour?

SuedeMoz

40_years_of_morrissey.jpeg

So according to the above image, the "40 Years of Morrissey" tour is just the September/October dates? So the July dates are not part of this tour? Why do I get the impression that they will all basically have the same set lists?

Yeah,
Why do I get the impression that they will all basically have the same set lists?
I expect they will be largely the same, and that any expectation that this poster means something like 'a track from each album listed to celebrate 40 years' is probably misleading. I remember going to what was billed as the 'Greatest Hits' tour in 2007-8, and it was just the usual selection of random tracks.

Yeah,

I expect they will be largely the same, and that any expectation that this poster means something like 'a track from each album listed to celebrate 40 years' is probably misleading. I remember going to what was billed as the 'Greatest Hits' tour in 2007-8, and it was just the usual selection of random tracks.
That's my sense as well. I also find it odd that it's not all one tour... maybe due to the ad hoc manner dates were added?

The Oye Esteban tour in 1999/2000 took in a wider variety of old material than had been played up till then. From 1995 onward it had just been 1 or 2 Smiths tracks, usually just Shoplifters as an encore. But then he opened it up to include Meat Is Murder, Is It Really So Strange etc.

Maybe this tour will bring back a lot more early solo that hasn't been played for a while - more of Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal etc. There are also a few Viva Hate songs that have never played live. I Don't Mind If You Forget Me would be a very obvious set-closer.

The Oye Esteban tour in 1999/2000 took in a wider variety of old material than had been played up till then. From 1995 onward it had just been 1 or 2 Smiths tracks, usually just Shoplifters as an encore. But then he opened it up to include Meat Is Murder, Is It Really So Strange etc.

Maybe this tour will bring back a lot more early solo that hasn't been played for a while - more of Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal etc. There are also a few Viva Hate songs that have never played live. I Don't Mind If You Forget Me would be a very obvious set-closer.

The opportunity is certainly there for him to play some stunning set lists. Ones that deliver "40 Years of Morrissey." Smiths gems like "You've Got Everything Now" and "Back to the Old House," immediately come to mind. Also as you mentioned... many forgotten gems from the earlier solo material. I guess we'll find out soon as I'm pretty sure the set lists will be similar across the upcoming live dates.

Hopefully he plays some greatest hits, but it'll likely just be like the last tour - playing unreleased songs (and some from Dog) to a bored audience who only get lively once they hear the songs they know and like.

Hopefully he plays some greatest hits, but it'll likely just be like the last tour - playing unreleased songs (and some from Dog) to a bored audience who only get lively once they hear the songs they know and like.
Downvote this all you like, but this was the way at Manchester Apollo, and it's always been the way at Morrissey gigs. There's a small group of die hards who know all of the songs, then the rest who come along to see him play classic solo and Smiths material.

Downvote this all you like, but this was the way at Manchester Apollo, and it's always been the way at Morrissey gigs. There's a small group of die hards who know all of the songs, then the rest who come along to see him play classic solo and Smiths material.
Which doesn't mean the audience is "bored".
Obviously older, better known songs will get a bigger reaction, especially as more people will know them and sing them. But a concert isn't only about the public, much less only about the casual fans there.

Which doesn't mean the audience is "bored".
Obviously older, better known songs will get a bigger reaction, especially as more people will know them and sing them. But a concert isn't only about the public, much less only about the casual fans there.
I dunno, lots of people looked pretty bored at gigs I've been to when Moz is playing his newer, less heard stuff, or songs that aren't released at all, as with the last gig I went to at the Apollo, what with lots of people rushing to the bar when he played songs from Dog and the unreleased material.

I dunno, lots of people looked pretty bored at gigs I've been to when Moz is playing his newer, less heard stuff, or songs that aren't released at all, as with the last gig I went to at the Apollo, what with lots of people rushing to the bar when he played songs from Dog and the unreleased material.
It's pretty normal, isn't it? When artists play new material. Doesn't mean they shouldn't play it.

It's pretty normal, isn't it? When artists play new material. Doesn't mean they shouldn't play it.

I think it can be done in a better way than Morrissey has done (in the past at least). I saw him in 2017 and he played 7 songs from LIHS, and the album wasn't even out yet. The crowd was bored - the only remotely known song was Spent the Day in Bed. Definitely, the worst show of his I've seen. I've seen him twice since then... both with better set lists.

I think it can be done in a better way than Morrissey has done (in the past at least). I saw him in 2017 and he played 7 songs from LIHS, and the album wasn't even out yet. The crowd was bored - the only remotely known song was Spent the Day in Bed. Definitely, the worst show of his I've seen. I've seen him twice since then... both with better set lists.
Yes I can remember, I’m sure I as at the Hull ice rink gig( when Moz ordered the bar to be closed) it was rather a flat gig with so many new unheard songs, along with MIM
Thrown in for good measure.

Personally I'm pleased Morrissey usually focuses a good chunk of the set on new material - I'd be bored as hell if all he did was the same 'greatest hit's package tour after tour. That said, I think there could be scope for the occasional 'event' show or mini-tour. Either focusing on playing an entire album (maybe even inviting back some of the band lineup from that period), or an entire set of Smiths songs, or only solo songs, only cover songs, or a special acoustic only set etc. Shake things up a bit .

If it was up to me, I'd put him back to doing solo-only main show with a Smiths song in the encore.

Main show:

Alsatian Cousin/ Mute Witness/ Something Is Squeezing My Skull/ The Boy Racer/ Certain People I Know/ You Have Killed Me/ Billy Budd/ Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage/ Now My Heart Is Full/ Trouble Loves Me/ I'm Not A Man/ Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice/ The Last Of The Famous International Playboys/ The First Of The Gang To Die/ I Don't Mind If You Forget Me

Encore:

{Smiths song}/ Everyday Is Like Sunday/ Suedehead

Where {Smiths song} is one of: I Don't Owe You Anything/ Accept Yourself/ What She Said/ Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others/ Unloveable/ Death At One's Elbow

The Cure played new material when I saw them in December, for an album that's actually coming out, but it was a few songs, not 6, 7 or 8, and they were sprinkled in between their well known songs (both singles and popular album tracks). That's the way it should be done.

The Cure played new material when I saw them in December, for an album that's actually coming out, but it was a few songs, not 6, 7 or 8, and they were sprinkled in between their well known songs (both singles and popular album tracks). That's the way it should be done.
It also helps that the Cure do significantly longer sets - around 2 hours and 30 minutes when I saw them, although they have been known to play for longer.

It's probably the way most people would prefer it done.

I have seen Morrissey mention twice in interviews that whatever he plays, he gets a good reaction from the public, so he would seem to think it doesn't matter.

Since chooses to tour under this title, perhaps the time would be right for a proper greatest hits tour. No Munich Air Disaster or World Peace, but just 90 minutes of his most beloved songs. Since he has never done one, this would be the perfect opportunity.

Since chooses to tour under this title, perhaps the time would be right for a proper greatest hits tour. No Munich Air Disaster or World Peace, but just 90 minutes of his most beloved songs. Since he has never done one, this would be the perfect opportunity.
Agree. But he won't do it! (The contrary little monkey.)

Tags
40 years of morrissey morriessy
Back
Top Bottom