3 Reasons Rick Rubins MUST Produce The Next Cd (+VIDS)

UPDATED ON OCCASION OF J. CASH & Rick Rubins GETTING TO No1 IN AMERICA - REMEMBER THIS GUY COULDN'T GET A RECORD DEAL A FEW YEARS AGO!!!

Rick Rubins simply must produce the next CD, his work has always been something special, from Licensed to Ill by The Beastie Boys coupled with Raising Hell by Run-D.M.C. both in 1986, to Taking the Long Way Round by The Dixie Chicks in 2006.

Anyway three songs to listen to (Diamonds is just a clip), the reason for their being chosen - If you listen to these and don't agree I'd be MIGHTY suprised.

1 - Hurt - J Cash
OK a cover of The Nine Inch Nails, but Rick took this ill indeed dying old man and produced a tour de force with Hurt. Lyrics like "I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel" are all the more poignant when sung by some suffering semi-paralysis.

Proof that Rick has the ability to work around, no indeed incorporate the illness of an artist to enhance a body of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

2 - Hell Yeah - Neil Diamond

What a legend, but surely this old timer can't recreate the magic of song like I am I Said, Song Sung Blue or Forever in Blue Jeans - Don't even believe it for a second, Rick takes this craftsman and polishes the songs to a level hithertoo unparralled in a long and VERY memorable career - Hell Yeah is EVERY bit as good a song as Neil Diamond has EVER sang.

Proof that Rick can take someone of enormous stature and standing, and once again help them tap into the source of their genius, Rick is a respecter of reputation and uses this to push his artist to new height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la5kzM2gEw8

3 - Not Ready To Make Nice - The Dixie Chicks

Ok probabaly the most hated and controvesial band in America and I ain't gonna discuss that, but did Rick walk away when all around viewed them as untouchable (including Country Music Stations)? No he didn't, he helped them with he new Cd and this track has the Dixie Chicks in a particulally unrepentant mood about the furore they caused.

Proof Rick is not swayed by the climate or temprature of the day, His integrity to artist coupled with a desire to make a great CD even if he is lablled UnAmerican.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwc5YSAc-7g

I may or may not have convinced you but I hope you enjoy the songs!!!

Reggie

Last edited:
I agree it would be pretty cool, but the very fact that it's Rick Rubin means Morrissey would never do it. Because if he did, it would be "Rick Rubin and Morrissey", not "Morrissey". It's all about the marquee...

It would be very hard to get Moz to share co-credits, many have tried...

they tried and they failed (x3) Oh Jeane

Worm said:
I agree it would be pretty cool, but the very fact that it's Rick Rubin means Morrissey would never do it. Because if he did, it would be "Rick Rubin and Morrissey", not "Morrissey". It's all about the marquee...

I love the Beastie Boys, have done since their first single, even saw them live on their first UK tour with RUN DMC 1986.

But I fail to see how Rick Rubin could bring anything to Morrissey's plate?

Fair enough point...

But when the acknowledged masters as well as the upstarts choose someone surely it bears at least serious consideration?

Rick Rubin also produced the Red Hot Chili Peppers which, sadly, takes a LOT away from his god-like-producer status.

bauer24 said:
II fail to see how Rick Rubin could bring anything to Morrissey's plate?

That's why he might be cool...good producers bring unexpected things out of the artists. Who knows what we might get? Moz-style gangsta rap over a looped drum sample, perhaps a flute swirling in the mix?

Hm. On second thought.

But Rick Rubin has done a variety of styles and while it hasn't all been successful he's done classics in at least 3 genres. He wouldn't be my first choice but who else can make that claim?

Reggie Pepper said:
2 - Hell Yeah - Neil Diamond - What a legend, but surely this old timer can't recreate the magic of song like I am I Said, Song Sung Blue or Forever in Blue Jeans - Don't believe it for a second, Rick takes this craftsman and polishes the songs to a level hithertoo unparralled in a long and VERY distingueshed career - Hell Yeah is EVERY bit as good a song as Neil Diamond has EVER sang.

Proof that Rick can take someone of enormous stature and standing, and once again help them tap into the source of their genius, Rick is a respecter of reputation and uses this to push his artist to new height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la5kzM2gEw8
http://www.neildiamond.com/ and chose track 2

i could not agree with this one more. the neil diamond album is absolutely brilliant.

Johnny Cash. Need I say more?

I never much liked anything he did and then pretty much liked everything with Rubin.

I very much enjoyed what the last chap who produced Moz had to offer too though.

I amn't complainng about the last producer - I probabaly should have made that plainer, however like yourself I feel The Cash / Rebuins partnership worked very well and would love to see what a Moz / Rubins partnership would bring us as Rubin seems to work well with the greatest lyricists.

Poprenaissance - What an apt name for posting that reply about Neil Diamond as it truly was his Neil Diamonds renaissance, or re-birth, releasing an albulm like that at his age (when most artist are just doing compilations and living the easy life). Neil sweated and it shows. I'm glad to be in such good company on this particular topic

3 Reasons why he shouldn´t f***ing bother!

1) His highly suspect modus operandus, i.e. "let´s attach me to an ageing, slightly unhip singer and release a successful album laced with post-modernist irony...everybody wins...the punters lose, always."

2) Beasties Boys: one of the most heinously overrated, hypocritical, self-absorbed (yes, more than Moz!) acts ever. Their hipper-than-thou stance is despicable and utterly, utterly fraudulent. Exhibit A: slagging off The Prodigy´s `Smack My Bitch Up´ as sexist. Talk about a pot-black-kettle scenario. Exhibit B: Their snooty hipster flirtations with various right-on causes.

3) That f***ing beard...that´s definitely not on. No sir.

Cash Is Number 1 - Proof Conclusive!!!

Rick Got Cash To Number 1 - What More Can I Add!!!

Well Done To Them Both

Reg

Re: 3 Reasons why he shouldn´t f***ing bother!

Old Mother Hell said:
1) His highly suspect modus operandus, i.e. "let´s attach me to an ageing, slightly unhip singer and release a successful album laced with post-modernist irony...everybody wins...the punters lose, always."

2) Beasties Boys: one of the most heinously overrated, hypocritical, self-absorbed (yes, more than Moz!) acts ever. Their hipper-than-thou stance is despicable and utterly, utterly fraudulent. Exhibit A: slagging off The Prodigy´s `Smack My Bitch Up´ as sexist. Talk about a pot-black-kettle scenario. Exhibit B: Their snooty hipster flirtations with various right-on causes.

3) That f***ing beard...that´s definitely not on. No sir.

Great Post!!

#1 - So True

#2 & 3 - I f***ing hate those BASTARDS!!..

PS- I give 90% credit for Johnny Cash's aIbum success to Trent Reznor who actuIIy wrote the song that got the aIbum the huge saIes and #1 spot.
I'd rather have Trent Reznor produce Moz's next aIbum than this "formuIa" producing guy. Vids too!! NIN's got some reaIIy awsome videos.

DAnn Coulter said:

PS- I give 90% credit for Johnny Cash's aIbum success to Trent Reznor who actuIIy wrote the song that got the aIbum the huge saIes and #1 spot.

Um, different album. Trent Reznor had nothing to do with the particular album that went to #1...

Oscar Wilde said:
Um, different album. Trent Reznor had nothing to do with the particular album that went to #1...

Um, It was mentioned above [very top] that the aIbum that had "Hurt" written by TR is the one that went #1. TR had nothing directIy to do with the aIbum but he did write the song which soId the aIbum. I may be wrong but I'd stiII want TR to produce for Moz over this RR guy. I want quaIity not mainstream chart success in Moz's music, just cause RR can produce number ones doesn't mean they're exactIy good or anything that interests me.

DAnn Coulter said:
Um, It was mentioned above [very top] that the aIbum that had "Hurt" written by TR is the one that went #1. TR had nothing directIy to do with the aIbum but he did write the song which soId the aIbum. I may be wrong but I'd stiII want TR to produce for Moz over this RR guy. I want quaIity not mainstream chart success in Moz's music, just cause RR can produce number ones doesn't mean they're exactIy good or anything that interests me.

Then it's incorrect information. Cash's latest album, American V, went to Number 1 yesterday. It's his first Number 1 album since the late 60's. But I agree, I think Reznor would collaborate on a better album with Morrissey than Rubin. Rubin's talent seems to be either taking crap bands and making them sound better, or taking aging legends and making them sound fresh. Maybe in ten years a collaboration with Morrissey would be interesting...

Back
Top Bottom