Your favourite under-rated Smiths/Moz song

L

Librarian on Fire

The focus is always on the best songs, the obligatory "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "Everyday Is Like Sunday", but what about the underated songs, the ones that never really get mentioned that much. The songs which a few hold as their favourites. What's your favourite under-rated Smiths/Morrissey song?

For me it's never changed, one of the most under-rated and still my favourite Smiths song "Well I Wonder". Four minutes of the Smiths being at their bedsit miserable best. Taken from "Meat Is Murder" which remains my favourite album. Full of the lonley angst ridden Morrissey where he captured the beauty of the pain of which is the outsider, the unlucky in love, the lonely. A simple song but that's the attraction. The steady drumbeat beating throughout, the bass intro at the start and a steady pluse during the song and Johnny's acoustic strumming with Morrissey's fslsetto rising at the end with that line sung over and over, "please keep me in mind". Then there's the final flourish, the tambourine and the rain. Yet behind that line there lies that realism that what you really desire isn't going to happen. Perfect.

For Morrissey alone it would be "Bengali In Platforms". Very much a sister song to "Well I Wonder". Again a simple song but the sheer musical composition of Vini's acoustic guitar as it chimes throughout the song. Morrissey singing in such a smooth kind voice of how hard it must be for new immigrants arrivng in a new country. It's such a lovely pop song which only seems to get looked at for "racial overtones". Should have been a hit.

When you shun the big popular movies, bands, and books you discover that there is treasure everywhere.

LoF

How about this old favorite:librairian on fire can suck my huge cok?,I heard yself sing that to you one night from your window,don't you remember?it was right after i sang the song,msay your house burn to the ground you ugly,fat, nasty bitch.

Yes, Well I Wonder is such a gem. The Golden Lights cover is really beautiful too. All the Smiths songs are pretty much undeniable classics, I`d say.
Moz: Lost, Nobody Loves Us, My Love Life, Ambitious Outsiders (unsettling lyrics), Dial-a-cliche (very moving and tragic if you pay attention to the situation it describes), The Teachers are..., Southpaw, I`d Love to etc.

U have got to hear "I'm the end of the family line" while being STONED, its the best when your high

I've always really liked "At Amber" - I think it's a lovely song, and quite different to any other Morrissey song from a lyrical point of view. Everyone seems to hate it though. "Nobody Loves Us" is brilliant, although this seems to be a prety popular b-side amongst fans.

It's hard to choose a Smiths song. I guess you could say they're all my favourite ... my faveout Smiths song seems to change almost daily, although right now I really love the Sandie Shaw version of "I Don't Owe You Anything" ... when you hear her sing it backed by Mike, Andy and Johnny, you can just sencse ho proud Morrissey mut have been to have one of his heroines singing his song.

Lawrence
(good topic starter BTW, LoF)

Little Man what now, Yes I am blind, and Trouble loves me

Smiths~Stretch out and wait, That joke isn't funny anymore, and This night has opened my eyes

I started Something I Couldn't Finish--TYPICAL ME

The lanes were silent
There was nothing, no one, nothing around for miles
I doused our friendly venture
With a hard-faced
Three-word gesture

I started something
I forced you to a zone
And you were clearly
Never meant to go
Hair brushed and parted
Typical me, typical me
Typical me
I started something
...And now I'm not too sure

I grabbed you by the guilded beams
Uh, that's what tradition means
And I doused another venture
With a gesture
That was ... absolutely vile

I started something
I forced you to a zone
And you were clearly
Never meant to go
Hair brushed and parted
Typical me, typical me
Typical me
I started something
...And now I'm not too sure

I grabbed you by the guilded beams
Uh, that's what tradition means
And now eighteen months' hard labour
Seems ... fair enough

I started something
And I forced you to a zone
And you were clearly
Never meant to go
Hair brushed and parted
Typical me, typical me
Typical me
I started something
And now I'm not too sure

I started something
I started something
Typical me, typical me
Typical me, typical me
Typical me, typical me
Typical me
I started something
And now I'm not too sure

All of Morrissey's solo work is under-rated as well as the talent of his band members!

That's a statement. Even his fans judge harshly!

The two most under-rated albums:
Most of the stuff on The World of Morrissey (The Loop and Jack the Ripper) Also from Southpaw, Best Friend On The Payroll, Do Your Best...those songs are unbelieveable! The two most under-rated albums. We are talking under-rated and I say Nobody Loves Us because I didn't hear it soon enough. It's the "Why B-side?" to me.

This is coming from a die hard Everyday Is Like Sunday girl.
I mean die hard.
Did I say die hard?
That's probably because I mean it.

If you can understand me, you probably havn't gotten much sleep lately either. Good-nite.

Re: All of Morrissey's solo work is under-rated as well as the talent of his band members!

I don't really consider "The World of Morrissey" a proper Morrissey album. The songs are all good, but for the most part they're all fairly easily available on other releases.

But I do agree that "Southpaw Grammer' is really underrated.

L

My favorite underrated Smiths song is:
Accept Yourself
The lyrics may seem cheesy and trite, but I love them. I love the way he sings
"and time is against me now"

I'm not sure what it is about that song. Its poppy and sad at the same time, really.

And...as for my most favorite underrated morrissey song..
I can't pick one.
Its a tie between "pregnant for the last time" because its so goddamned catchy
and "trouble loves me" for emotional reasons...
and "southpaw" because its got the same appeal as accept yourself...starts off poppy and ends a bit sad..

trouble loves me and southpaw contain both of my most favorite lyrics too:

=and at midnight i can't get you out of my head

=there is something you shouold know, the girl of your dreams is here all alone

oh "sigh"

-imacolata

http://members.home.com/imacolata

Rubber Ring / Barbarism / Now my heart is full / all of Kill Uncle

> My favorite underrated Smiths song is:
> Accept Yourself
> The lyrics may seem cheesy and trite, but I love them. I love
> the way he sings
> "and time is against me now"

Precisely - he really says it all, in that one phrase.

> I'm not sure what it is about that song. Its poppy and sad at
> the same time, really.

That remains the Smiths song whose lyrics pertain to me personally, the most.

> And...as for my most favorite underrated morrissey song..
> I can't pick one.
> Its a tie between "pregnant for the last time" because
> its so goddamned catchy
> and "trouble loves me" for emotional reasons

"Pregnant" is one of my all-time favorites (especially the live version, which really captures the energy only *alluded* to in the studio version.

'This Night Has Opened My Eyes'..

...is one of the great reflective Smiths moments.. and 'London' can really lay into me when I am in the mood..

I always liked 'Late Night Mudlin Street' as the best of Morrissey obscurities for the mood and the lyrics.. and of course 'Sing Your Life'.. is great..

Back
Top Bottom