Will I ever hear good drums again?

S

smiths city rocker

I've been hearing about this amazing new band COLDPLAY. I figured they must be pretty good if they're getting so much attention from the NME, etc. But I heard a song of theirs last night, and it was miserable. They sound like Travis! They're driftwood! And worst of all, they've got terrible drums! I give up. Britpop killed percussion and British music will never be the same. Wicked beats only come from boxes now, and drummers are just metronomes playing the same old Oasis shuffle: da-da-ba-dum-dum-DA. You're driiiiiftwooooooood .... Noooo! One great thing about Morrissey is that he always has excellent drummers. ‘Your Arsenal' was one of the few good drum albums of the early 90's. I can always count on him, I guess, but most mainstream post-1990 stuff is useless.

> I've been hearing about this amazing new band COLDPLAY. I
> figured they must be pretty good if they're getting so much
> attention from the NME, etc. But I heard a song of theirs last
> night, and it was miserable. They sound like Travis! They're
> driftwood! And worst of all, they've got terrible drums! I give
> up. Britpop killed percussion and British music will never be
> the same. Wicked beats only come from boxes now, and drummers
> are just metronomes playing the same old Oasis shuffle:
> da-da-ba-dum-dum-DA. You're driiiiiftwooooooood .... Noooo! One
> great thing about Morrissey is that he always has excellent
> drummers. ‘Your Arsenal' was one of the few good drum albums of
> the early 90's. I can always count on him, I guess, but most
> mainstream post-1990 stuff is useless.

Coldplay are really worth sticking with.If it is the new single you heard then that is "Trouble" and really is a grower.It is a brilliant song.
All I can say about Travis is they are @#!!!e really.
If you want to hear a brilliant British band then buy "The Great Eastern" by The Delgadoes.

Listen to some "old" stuff till then...

I suppose you can listen to The Police and Rush till another good drummer comes along (minus the hard rock and heavy metal sections-they always have good drummers). I also like the way Spencer was mixed in on the "Your Arsenal" (sp?) album. Albeit, the drum mixing on the following album sucked.

Re: The Rhythm Method

> I suppose you can listen to The Police and Rush till another
> good drummer comes along (minus the hard rock and heavy metal
> sections-they always have good drummers).

Heheh...I was going to suggest Rush, too!

Seriously.

They RAWK.

(Well, they DID).

Back
Top Bottom