Which songs are better live...

D

Dumbledore

...than the studio versions, in your opinion? With Morrissey, I think that songs from Kill Uncle sounded much better live.

Another one that occurs to me is "My Heart is Empty" by Nico. Her live version that was recorded in Tokyo in 1985 was much, much better than the version that appears on Camera Obscura.

Can you think of any others?

Frampton: Show Me The Way

You said below you like the studio version of Jack the Ripper better. I'm not so sure I agree. Especially after the Vegas show on this tour, with his little intro about Oscar Wilde.

I honestly don't care much for Rank or Beethoven.

However, I really love the KROQ takes of Place in Hell and Sing Your Life. The latter of which is much, much better than the studio version of the song (I just noticed that Chrissie Hynde isn't mentioned in the liner notes for the song, though Linder provided additional voice on Driving Your Girlfriend Home, which I did not know). Plus there's the girl spazzing about NKOTB and wearing shiny shoes at the end of the KROQ disc

So at what point do you distinguish between "live" versions and pseudo-live versions like the KROQ takes?

I cut my teeth on Hatful of Hollow, which IIRC are Peel sessions. And 15 years later The Smiths versions of the songs still sound a little wrong to me. Neither Hatful nor KROQ are really live, though they are probably one take with some pressure thrown in. On the other hand, the band had released the produced material prior, and had also probably rehearsed it and even played it before a live audience before these pseudo-live versions.

Re: Frampton: Show Me The Way

> So at what point do you distinguish between "live" versions and
> pseudo-live versions like the KROQ takes?

Hmmm. Good question. I think that things like KROQ takes are usually distillations from playing songs live and putting them across in their best possible light. I don't think that the engineers fuss over those radio sessions the same way they would for a proper album or single. They usually have a really live feel to them. So, as far as I'm concerned those are live tracks, even if they were mixed. Hell, live shows are mixed! So I suppose the point I was making doesn't matter, after all...

Let me give you a little tip, Weiß: never underestimate my capacity to become bogged down in minutiae. Now...what was my name again?

Led Zeppelin-"Dazed And Confused"

Jimmy Page and his guitar solo with the violin bow is classic.

pic122102.jpg

Re: Led Zeppelin-"Dazed And Confused"

> Jimmy Page and his guitar solo with the violin bow is classic.

My goodness! That picture is sort of...phallic. Jimmy Page probably was a great thruster.

Re: Led Zeppelin-"Dazed And Confused"

> My goodness! That picture is sort of...phallic. Jimmy Page probably was a
> great thruster.

Ha ha! yeah....talk about "whacking it".

Re: I'm not biting. I refuse to rise to the bait. (Grrrrrrrrrrr)

You'd have to ask the shark...

...as he was probably the only sober one involved in all that mess.

Re: You'd have to ask the shark...

> ...as he was probably the only sober one involved in all that mess.
Probably. LOL

Re: Want a Mud Shark up your ass?!

I didn't hear the one about Keith Richards Blood transfusion. I heard all the beer he drinks preserved all his organs and that's why he's still alive.

Back
Top Bottom