Tribute band?

In the bands i've played in I have always been a singer/songwriter first and a guitarist second.. i played rhythm guitar as i sang...singing was my passion from a young age long before i picked up a guitar.. I can remember how nervous i was before my first gig ! I was shaking like a leaf and felt sick, but by the end of the night they couldnt shut me up !
After half a dozen gigs - nerves were a thing of the past and i couldnt wait to get on stage...we eventually went on to play to big audiences on the same bill as signed bands.. we came so close.. I still do solo acoustic gigs ...But now I would love to sell my songs or write for other artists - that is my dream..
But it would be great to play guitar in a smiths tribute - i've always wanted to be johnny marr ! I know tribute bands can never come close to the original but it would still be a fun thing to do.. if i ever did a smiths tribute band i would do an unplugged/ acoustic version because it would be a different and original concept.. i think the smiths music would sound amazing with an acoustic vibe and marr's guitar lines would sound so cool..
If you need any advice on singing - training your voice, excercises, building up vocal stamina etc then i can help in that department..
Singing is all about confidence.. you have to let yourself go. If you hold back because of nerves when you come to a difficult note then it will sound bad.. ( i found that out a few times !). You have to go all out for it..

Morrissey's vocal notes are not hard to hit for a singer, its much easier than doing a chris cornell cover ! But you are correct - nobody can capture the emotion or the passion of mozza's delivery..
Last night i dreamt that somebody loved me - an easy song to sing - but can i capture the emotion or depth of mozza's voice ? - not a chance..

You are a very nice guy and I love your enthousiasm for music and playing.
I love the Smiths and Morrissey and Johnny Marr.
I too believe Andy Rourke is a very underestimated bass player.

The idea of an unplugged Smiths set as a stageperformance is a good one.
But would it be totally acoustic? What about bass and drums?
As I've said, I've never done any live performance.
There are some songs from me on SoundCloud, recorded with my fellow musical partner at his little home studio.

When I listen to them now I really feel embarrassed.
There is only one song I'm proud of.

I am very much interested in getting advise about singing, singing techniques, and all that surrounds it.
Like the microphone, how to use it well, to experiment and learn live, as well in the studio.
I own a Shure 89C microphone, a condensator as the C implies, for live performances.

My friend advised me to use it as he knows a lot about microphones and after trying out different types he assured me this one was the best suited for my voice.
Thank you so much for your kind offer. :thumb:
Oh, by the way, I live in the Netherlands. So if you would ever consider to try and use me as a singer, it still would be not easy, although I am not across THE pound, ha. Well a smaller one.
Gerrit

In the bands i've played in I have always been a singer/songwriter first and a guitarist second.. i played rhythm guitar as i sang...singing was my passion from a young age long before i picked up a guitar.. I can remember how nervous i was before my first gig ! I was shaking like a leaf and felt sick, but by the end of the night they couldnt shut me up !
After half a dozen gigs - nerves were a thing of the past and i couldnt wait to get on stage...we eventually went on to play to big audiences on the same bill as signed bands.. we came so close.. I still do solo acoustic gigs ...But now I would love to sell my songs or write for other artists - that is my dream..
But it would be great to play guitar in a smiths tribute - i've always wanted to be johnny marr ! I know tribute bands can never come close to the original but it would still be a fun thing to do.. if i ever did a smiths tribute band i would do an unplugged/ acoustic version because it would be a different and original concept.. i think the smiths music would sound amazing with an acoustic vibe and marr's guitar lines would sound so cool..
If you need any advice on singing - training your voice, excercises, building up vocal stamina etc then i can help in that department..
Singing is all about confidence.. you have to let yourself go. If you hold back because of nerves when you come to a difficult note then it will sound bad.. ( i found that out a few times !). You have to go all out for it..

Morrissey's vocal notes are not hard to hit for a singer, its much easier than doing a chris cornell cover ! But you are correct - nobody can capture the emotion or the passion of mozza's delivery..
Last night i dreamt that somebody loved me - an easy song to sing - but can i capture the emotion or depth of mozza's voice ? - not a chance..

Sorry you missed out on being signed. The music business is so tough especially now a days. In the eighties you would hear all kinds of music, from many bands and singers. MTV made soooo many groups popular. Now music consists of Swift, Beiber and someone, somehow connected to a Kardashian.

I can't believe you brought up Chris Cornell! Pound for pound he is one of the greatest rock singers of all time. Sound Garden and Audioslave are two awesome bands. A singular, powerful voice:

You are a very nice guy and I love your enthousiasm for music and playing.
I love the Smiths and Morrissey and Johnny Marr.
I too believe Andy Rourke is a very underestimated bass player.

The idea of an unplugged Smiths set as a stageperformance is a good one.
But would it be totally acoustic? What about bass and drums?
As I've said, I've never done any live performance.
There are some songs from me on SoundCloud, recorded with my fellow musical partner at his little home studio.

When I listen to them now I really feel embarrassed.
There is only one song I'm proud of.

I am very much interested in getting advise about singing, singing techniques, and all that surrounds it.
Like the microphone, how to use it well, to experiment and learn live, as well in the studio.
I own a Shure 89C microphone, a condensator as the C implies, for live performances.

My friend advised me to use it as he knows a lot about microphones and after trying out different types he assured me this one was the best suited for my voice.
Thank you so much for your kind offer. :thumb:
Oh, by the way, I live in the Netherlands. So if you would ever consider to try and use me as a singer, it still would be not easy, although I am not across THE pound, ha. Well a smaller one.
Gerrit

I dont mean to sound like i'm bragging or showing off - i am a very humble person without much of an ego...i studied singing at music college and have a national diploma in it.. i'm not saying i am an expert but i have always liked to help other singers so any advice you need - just ask..
I wouldnt worry about types of microphone just yet.. i would concentrate on your singing technique and stamina..
Morrissey by the way - was not a great singer to begin with.. if you listen to the smiths albums in order you can hear how much his voice improved over time.. the more you sing - the better you become..
From the netherlands eh ? .. the home of Cruyff - one of my footballing heroes !

Sorry you missed out on being signed. The music business is so tough especially now a days. In the eighties you would hear all kinds of music, from many bands and singers. MTV made soooo many groups popular. Now music consists of Swift, Beiber and someone, somehow connected to a Kardashian.

I can't believe you brought up Chris Cornell! Pound for pound he is one of the greatest rock singers of all time. Sound Garden and Audioslave are two awesome bands. A singular, powerful voice:

I am not a fan of audioslave or early soundgarden .. i love soundgarden superunknown and down on the upside..but my favourite cornell record is his debut solo album -' euphoria morning' we used to play covers of a few soundgarden songs in the early days.. yeah, great singer but he's no mike patton !

I dont mean to sound like i'm bragging or showing off - i am a very humble person without much of an ego...i studied singing at music college and have a national diploma in it.. i'm not saying i am an expert but i have always liked to help other singers so any advice you need - just ask..
I wouldnt worry about types of microphone just yet.. i would concentrate on your singing technique and stamina..
Morrissey by the way - was not a great singer to begin with.. if you listen to the smiths albums in order you can hear how much his voice improved over time.. the more you sing - the better you become..
From the netherlands eh ? .. the home of Cruyff - one of my footballing heroes !

You don't sound like bragging. Just self assured enough to know what you're talking about. :)
The thing I said about the microphone was just a side remark to let you know I am aware I have to learn a lot about the singing techniques with a microphone as well.

The stamina IS a problem.
Every time after rehearsal or doing a studio session I am exhausted.
I can focus and concentrate on my singing but right after that I am totally done.
It feels like I've given everything after only 2 or 3 songs.
I just need to start doing something about my physical condition.
Maybe old age. :( But I just like to sing. ;)

I agree with you about Johan Cruyff, but George Best is one of my all time football heroes. :thumb:

But you're from Leicester so you must be proud of your team!
What they did was unique and maybe for once in a lifetime.
They showed that despite of all the big clubs in England with the money it is still possible to beat them and become champion!
Where were they, all those big names from Chelsea, Man United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, to name a few? Ha, defeated. I like Vardy and Ranieri.

Agree with you about Morrissey's voice.
And it is now better than ever. New version of It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small was mesmerizing good!

Cheers,
Gerrit

I am not a fan of audioslave or early soundgarden .. i love soundgarden superunknown and down on the upside..but my favourite cornell record is his debut solo album -' euphoria morning' we used to play covers of a few soundgarden songs in the early days.. yeah, great singer but he's no mike patton !

Gotta say I was never a big fan of Faith no More. Please provide a song of his for me to listen to so I can compare them vocally. I am all ears!

Heres an excercise to build stamina - close your mouth and take a deep breath in through your nose for five seconds - then blow out through your mouth as hard as you can and for as long as you can, until you can blow no more ! Keep repeating this throughout the day everyday . Even on days when you won't be singing..This builds up the diaphragm and lung capacity and stamina... sounds simple but it worked well for me..
I love George Best. He was the greatest player to ever come from the british isles and one of the most gifted players of all time. In the same class as maradona, pele etc - but he wasted it.. @Quando quando quando

Gotta say I was never a big fan of Faith no More. Please provide a song of his for me to listen to so I can compare them vocally. I am all ears!

Mike patton is an amazing vocalist - nothing he cant sing. But if you aint a fan of FNM then fair enough.. they can be weird. It takes time to get into them.. they have some great tunes though.
Staley and patton are the best vocalists i've seen live.. Cornell is hit and miss live.

A good one Eder!
Thanks a lot. Going to use it.
Listening now to a song by a band called: And you will know us by the trail of dead.
The song is titled: Blight takes all.
Should be the other way around, I think, for obvious reasons. ;)
Exciting song!
Strong, thriving and a good live thrill.
Thanks for your advise.
Cheers

A good one Eder!
Thanks a lot. Going to use it.
Listening now to a song by a band called: And you will know us by the trail of dead.
The song is titled: Blight takes all.
Should be the other way around, I think, for obvious reasons. ;)
Exciting song!
Strong, thriving and a good live thrill.
Thanks for your advise.
Cheers

Never heard of it !

Never heard of it !

I recently found an old CD. It was for free if you bought the Uncut music magazine.
Didn't look for it on utube. Too lazy. :(

Maybe it is there somewhere, I dunno.
The cd was called: unconditionally guaranteed 2000.7
Uncut's guide to the month's best music.
There were some gems on it.

Apart from ...And you know us by the trail of dead,
I found:
Billy Brag and the Blokes: All you fascists bound to lose. (Lyrics originally by Woodie Guthrie)
Nick Drake: One of these things first.
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers: Born to lose. (All time non-Moz favorite of mine)
The Associates (with Billy Mackenzie): Tell me Easter's on Friday.!
Such great, great songs!
Inspiring too.
Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom