The Smiths This Charming Man Remixes

Springheeledjim84

..they say 'ee's mental..
Hello Friends,

I picked up a maxi single cd of This Charming Man containing remixes of the songs under the titles:

1. Manchester
2. London
3. New York Vocal
4. New York instrumental
5. Peel Session
6. Single Remix
7. Original Single Version
8. Wondeful Woman

It says on the liner notes that it was released in 1990, but does anyone have anymore information on this little gem??

Thank you
JIM

Wasn't that part of a 2 cd set from around 1992 when WEA were re-releasing the Smiths Best Of albums. I have that one too on Reprise I think? How's Canada Jim?

Yes just dug it out 1992 release with copyright also for 1990 and 1983. Picture of the band outside what looks like a confectioners on inner of cover. There is a lady in the window of the shop with a big easter egg I think. Cardboard digipack.

There are a total of three CDs in two versions, all released in 1992 in advance of "Best I".

The U.S. version was a digipak with 8 tracks. It's very common.

The U.K. version was a two-part CD single.

IIRC disc one was the original single: "This Charming Man", "Accept Yourself", "Jeane", and "Wonderful Woman". Its plastic CD case was a flip-case designed to hold two CDs.

Disc two was all 7 released versions of the song, as on the U.S. digipak CD. (The "London" mix was the actual "official" single version.) This CD was supposedly available for one week only, and featured the Jean Marais picture sleeve with no text on the front except for a small number stamped on it to indicate its uniqueness.

Also, WEA released another limited edition gem: a 7" vinyl version of the RT 136 single with a nearly identical sleeve to the original (the only difference being the record company fine print, natch).

As a set the singles were really stunning, and it was satisfying to have all the versions, finally, as the original RT vinyl singles were hard to find and too expensive. Brett Anderson made "This Charming Man" his Single Of The Decade (not just Week!) in the NME.

Warners also released a special "How Soon Is Now?" CD single, in two parts, as well as one for "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". Each contained rare vinyl tracks that hadn't yet appeared on CD, the best of which was the live version of "Handsome Devil" from the original "Hand In Glove" 7" and the tracks from the Sandie Shaw single. The sleeves were gorgeous, too. I don't think Morrissey designed them, as they didn't appear in "Peepholism", but they were excellent fakes.

As records I found "Best I" and "Best II" totally useless, but the three singles they put out to coincide with the album releases were brilliantly packaged. Must-haves.

Last edited:
That was the first CD I ever bought!

The 'There Is A Light' CD is a good one too, it has the Sandie Shaw tracks on there.

Why did WEA stop using their imagination after the release of these singles?

I have a good this charming man remix- mixed with Eminem's Without Me.
I'm sure most purists would hate it!

lightupvirginmary said:
I have a good this charming man remix- mixed with Eminem's Without Me.
I'm sure most purists would hate it!

That's a good effort.
When I was in Switzerland I'd play that when the Swiss kids asked me for Eminem.

Thanks for the replies folks - very useful.

JIM

Back
Top Bottom