Suede have split!!!!!!!!

U

Upset

I'm GUTTED! This is f***ing awful. The music industry is depressing enough, and now this. To all Suede fans, get to www.suede.net now!

> I'm GUTTED! This is f***ing awful. The music industry is depressing
> enough, and now this. To all Suede fans, get to www.suede.net now!

That is bad news although I think with the release of the "singles" compilation it was hardly a surprise.

I always thought that "My Insatiable One"(that Moz decided to cover) was one of their less accessible tunes.

A sad loss. I never thought of Suede as particularly innovative but I do / did like them a lot.

J

They're Only Taking A Break!

pic130960.jpg

> That is bad news although I think with the release of the
> "singles" compilation it was hardly a surprise.

I was a bit surprised because I'd heard they were recording new material. According to David Barnett, however, they've only demoed a few tracks. He's (i.e. David) talked a bit to PlayLouder about the background to the split:

From PlayLouder ( http://www.playlouder.com/news/+suedesplitstill/ )

PlayLouder was under the illusion the band were working on new material and had half a new album done. Mat was certainly upbeat about it. Has this material been shelved then?

DB: There were a few tracks demoed, but to my knowledge only three or four. Of those, at least one - the almost legendary "Music Like Sex" - was an absolute corker. I suspect these tracks will surface in one form or another eventually. It would be a terrible waste if they remained unheard.

Who's idea was it to break up the band? Was it down to Brett or was it a mutual decision?

DB: The possibility of a split has obviously been in the air for some time now. The band had a long meeting yesterday and I believe it was Brett who ultimately made the decision after discussions with the others. I think he just felt it was time to move on and do something new.

Do you see the band reforming in the future?

DB: I'd like to think so but I'd imagine it wouldn't be for a long time.

Brett has expressed a wish to work with Bernard again. Could this be possible now?

DB: You'd have to ask them.

Is the split due recent poor sales?

That definitely had an impact. I think the band were all very excited after the relative critical and commercial success of 'Attitude', which was their biggest hit for about 5 years. So for the Greatest Hits to go in at 31 must have been a bit gutting.

Are the band on good terms or do they all hate each other?

DB: It's probably true to say that emotions have been running high lately, but nobody wants to kill anybody else.

Will the Astoria gig be the last gig and can I come please?
Apart from some hypothetical future reunion, Yes. and Yes.

Are you going to get right royally pissed tonight?

DB: Too f***ing right.

Will this effect your book at all?

DB: Hopefully it will result in a huge sales increase

http://www.playlouder.com/news/+suedesplitstill/

were they good? or were they like coldplay, radiohead, oasis, blur, interpol, strokes, & etc tosh?

What made Suede special?

Why did Moz cover them?

What Suede album should a Newbie get?

They haven't been that good for years though have they.. Sorry to say.. Since 'Stay Together' and the 'Wild Ones'.. and Scifi lullabies.. I'm sure drugs had such a negative effect on keeping their popularity only at the cult level.. Bit of a shame, but maybe they'd had their day. Brett looks f*cking awful nowadays as well. Some things are best drawn a line under before the output really degenerates.

Unlucky if you're a fan though.. commiserations.
Ruffian

Re: were they good? or were they like coldplay, radiohead, oasis, blur, interpol, strokes, & etc tos

> What made Suede special?

> Why did Moz cover them?

> What Suede album should a Newbie get?

I'd get the newly released "Singles" collection.

Oh, don't be like that. You were wanting to get back with Brett only a year ago

> They haven't been that good for years though have they.. Sorry to say..
> Since 'Stay Together' and the 'Wild Ones'.. and Scifi lullabies.. I'm sure
> drugs had such a negative effect on keeping their popularity only at the
> cult level.. Bit of a shame, but maybe they'd had their day. Brett looks
> f*cking awful nowadays as well. Some things are best drawn a line under
> before the output really degenerates.

> Unlucky if you're a fan though.. commiserations.
> Ruffian

I agree they were passed their best Ruff.

I would have loved to have seen Morrissey work with Bernard Butler but I suppose that's a different thread.

Of all the pretenders to Marr's throne I think BB was the boy most likely to.......

Yes, I've always really really loved Suede. In fact I just interviewed the guy who wrote new biography so I'll email him and see what he's got to say for himself...

Suede split at NME.com

>Yes, it's true. At least they got a greatist hits out before it went ugly. The guys have givin us much. Thanks Suede u guys were wonderful.

Agree BB should have teamed up with Moz... hopefully he's planning to do something with Brett now. But I think that the common view that they they were past their best is wrong. Like most bands, the early output is trumpetted beyond reason and the later work is overlooked. The first LP and Coming Up are rather over-rated, although I do love Dog Man Star. Head Music is very strong... and very compelling, especially when you realise it was written by a crack addict! And A New Morning is a real grower, a very mature and understated work which I really love now. I'm officially sad, I think!

> I agree they were passed their best Ruff.

> I would have loved to have seen Morrissey work with Bernard Butler but I
> suppose that's a different thread.

> Of all the pretenders to Marr's throne I think BB was the boy most likely
> to.......

Yes, They Have Split !

I spoke to David Barnett who wrote the biography and he told me they only decided yesterday. So he's very shocked. Infact he's off to the pub...

> Agree BB should have teamed up with Moz... hopefully he's planning to do
> something with Brett now. But I think that the common view that they they
> were past their best is wrong. Like most bands, the early output is
> trumpetted beyond reason and the later work is overlooked. The first LP
> and Coming Up are rather over-rated, although I do love Dog Man Star. Head
> Music is very strong... and very compelling, especially when you realise
> it was written by a crack addict! And A New Morning is a real grower, a
> very mature and understated work which I really love now. I'm officially
> sad, I think!

Was Brett still into Class A's then ?. I knew he was in a bad way with heroin not long after BB left but I though he had straightened himself out.
I had no idea he was into crack

Yes, he was a complete crackhead making Head Music, completely out of it, but somehow they stopped it getting into the press at the time. Matt found him rolling around in Kensington High Street at one point, saying: "You f***ers are no fun anymore!" So the bizarrely detached tone of Head Music really makes sense when you know...

> Was Brett still into Class A's then ?. I knew he was in a bad way with
> heroin not long after BB left but I though he had straightened himself
> out.
> I had no idea he was into crack

> Agree BB should have teamed up with Moz... hopefully he's planning to do
> something with Brett now. But I think that the common view that they they
> were past their best is wrong. Like most bands, the early output is
> trumpetted beyond reason and the later work is overlooked. The first LP
> and Coming Up are rather over-rated, although I do love Dog Man Star. Head
> Music is very strong... and very compelling, especially when you realise
> it was written by a crack addict! And A New Morning is a real grower, a
> very mature and understated work which I really love now. I'm officially
> sad, I think!

Well said and it's sadder yet because I thought the last single was very good and was looking forward to a new cd.

UGGHHHHH!!!

Now only one band I like is still together !!!

Back
Top Bottom