Smiths box set??

G

GenderNectar

I heard something awhile ago about a Smiths boxset coming out but haven't heard anything since. Is this a reality or was I just dreaming?

> i would die to have one. please let it be true!

I gotta say, I'm down on box sets. First, a true fan (and I know you guys are) would already have everything they put on the set (except maybe a bonus 'live' or 'lost' track). For instance, I'm not getting the New Order 'Retro' 'cause I already have the good stuff. Second, it's just a record company deal to get the last drop out of the fans who are desperate for something by that artist which hasn't had a hit in a while. Third, and this goes back to reason #1, box sets are really an overpriced 'Greatest Hits' for casual fans(what's that line: 'Greatest hits albums are for housewives').

well i've only been a fan since last march or april, and in that year, i've bought 21 smiths and moz albums, 2 morrissey concert tickets, 2 dvds and some other merchandise. i have not yet started to collect the individual singles, since i've plunked down a lot of cash already. but i would totally spring for the boxed sets because it would save me the trouble of tracking down all the singles individually (i'm lazy).

> well i've only been a fan since last march or april, and in that year,
> i've bought 21 smiths and moz albums, 2 morrissey concert tickets, 2 dvds
> and some other merchandise. i have not yet started to collect the
> individual singles, since i've plunked down a lot of cash already. but i
> would totally spring for the boxed sets because it would save me the
> trouble of tracking down all the singles individually (i'm lazy).

I remember reading an article in Record Collector a year or so ago which hinted that a box set of Smiths rareities was a possibility.It never really mentioned totally new songs other than the Marianne faithful songs "Summer Nights bw The Sha la La Song".I think it was saying there was different takes of already released songs which may be of interest.
i would love to see it happen but somehow I don't think so.

> I remember reading an article in Record Collector a year or so ago which
> hinted that a box set of Smiths rareities was a possibility.It never
> really mentioned totally new songs other than the Marianne faithful songs
> "Summer Nights bw The Sha la La Song".I think it was saying
> there was different takes of already released songs which may be of
> interest.
> i would love to see it happen but somehow I don't think so.

And, if I recall the same Record Collector issue correctly, they listed the various (numberous) Radio One/Peel Sessions versions of songs that hadn't been released on either Hatful or the Peel Sessions EP. They were editorializing a bit that they would make a great 2 Disc collection. It'd certainly be nice to have the Peel versions of "Half a Person" and "London" in "better-than-bootleg" sound.

Given "Golden Lights," I could do without more Sixties pop girl covers.

Cheers,

Jamie

are you rich?

"21 smiths and moz albums, 2 morrissey concert tickets, 2 dvds and some other merchandise"

no. lower middle class actually

i had saved my xmas and birthday money and i also worked all last year, so i had to have something to spend my money on. i actually bought probably half of the cd's used because i live (when not at uni) near a wherehouse records store and can never resist going in. i was always able to find really good deals there on new and used smiths and moz albums.

> And, if I recall the same Record Collector issue correctly, they listed
> the various (numberous) Radio One/Peel Sessions versions of songs that
> hadn't been released on either Hatful or the Peel Sessions EP. They were
> editorializing a bit that they would make a great 2 Disc collection. It'd
> certainly be nice to have the Peel versions of "Half a Person"
> and "London" in "better-than-bootleg" sound.

> Given "Golden Lights," I could do without more Sixties pop girl
> covers.

> Cheers,

> Jamie

Yep that's right Jamie. I have the article at home. I may dig it out later."Golden Lights" was without doubt the ONLY crap song The Smiths ever did.
I'll be honest with you though the Marriane Faithful tracks are amazing.I picked up the 7" single a few years ago. The A-side Summer Nights is a bit naff but The Sha La La song is brilliant. Crap title but great song.I think Moz has a soft(?) spot for her as the first record he bought was one of hers...although I could be wrong.

It wouldn't be worth it unless . . .

it included "I Want a Boy for My Birthday", or perhaps the full Troy Tate sessions, or if there is some John Peel stuff we haven't heard. Still, even with all that it would be a pretty small box.

Re: It wouldn't be worth it unless . . .

> it included "I Want a Boy for My Birthday", or perhaps the full
> Troy Tate sessions, or if there is some John Peel stuff we haven't heard.
> Still, even with all that it would be a pretty small box.

I think there is Peel and David Jensen sessions we have not heard although we will have heard versions of the songs. I think a version of "Reel Around The Fountain" was recorded and never aired. Simon Goddard's book reveals more but my memory is blank.
I think it is universally accepted that " I Want A Boy" was never commited to tape either in the studio or at the one or two gigs they aired it at.

There are a couple of Smiths songs in the can that have a brass section!!! I think one is "Never Had No One Ever".

I think this stuff really deserves to see the light of day.
There is also a Moz Peel session that was never broadcast.

Most informative . . .

> I think it is universally accepted that " I Want A Boy" was
> never commited to tape either in the studio or at the one or two gigs they
> aired it at.

Well, SOMEONE out there has some sort of version of it (there was discussion of this a while back on the marketplace board) - for posterity's sake open the vaults!!!

> There are a couple of Smiths songs in the can that have a brass section!!!
> I think one is "Never Had No One Ever".

Eeeek! I think there may be a good reason why a brassed up "No one Ever" stayed in the can. I wonder if we really want to hear these. Although I'd love to hear "Vicar in a Tutu" done by a German oompah band.

> I think this stuff really deserves to see the light of day.
> There is also a Moz Peel session that was never broadcast.

Do you have any idea when this Peel session happened?

Re: Most informative . . .

> Well, SOMEONE out there has some sort of version of it (there was
> discussion of this a while back on the marketplace board) - for
> posterity's sake open the vaults!!!

> Eeeek! I think there may be a good reason why a brassed up "No one
> Ever" stayed in the can. I wonder if we really want to hear these.
> Although I'd love to hear "Vicar in a Tutu" done by a German
> oompah band.

> Do you have any idea when this Peel session happened?

I must admit that in discusions with some of the older Smiths fans going back over 15 years no one could claim to have heard " I Want A Boy".No one can say for sure that no recorded version exists but if it did it would represent the Holy Grail of lost Smiths songs.I think even The Cookies version is hard to find
Not sure about the Peel session. I think it may even have been David Jenson(same radio station).Again this info was gleamed from Goddards's book.
It was pulled because of the paedophile allegations about the lyrics and by way of an olive branch the band were invited back a short time later for yet another session.

> I must admit that in discusions with some of the older Smiths fans going
> back over 15 years no one could claim to have heard " I Want A
> Boy".No one can say for sure that no recorded version exists but if
> it did it would represent the Holy Grail of lost Smiths songs.I think even
> The Cookies version is hard to find

Correct on both counts, I think. Although someone posted a scan of the Cookies cover on the market board a while back.

> Not sure about the Peel session. I think it may even have been David
> Jenson(same radio station).Again this info was gleamed from Goddards's
> book.
> It was pulled because of the paedophile allegations about the lyrics and
> by way of an olive branch the band were invited back a short time later
> for yet another session.

Are we talking about "Tecahers are Afraid" or "Ambitious Outsiders" (I presume the former)?

> Correct on both counts, I think. Although someone posted a scan of the
> Cookies cover on the market board a while back.

> Are we talking about "Tecahers are Afraid" or "Ambitious
> Outsiders" (I presume the former)?

No sorry. I have not made that clear. the Smiths was pulled because at the time there was a bit of an uproar going on in the U.K press about the lyrics to "Reel Around the Fountain".
Morrissey had a Peel session (I assume in the early 90's) which he pulled because he was not happy with the treatment he received from the technical and engineering staff at the BBC's Maida Vale Studios.
I think he had actually recorded 3 songs though.These events are off the top of my head but I think it is along the lines.No doubt someone can fill in anything I have missed.

Back
Top Bottom