Poor YATQ review in Q Magazine.

That, I'm afraid, is utter bollocks.

> But, I knew someone who worked for Empire film magazine (same company as
> Q) and they said that although the rating of a record/film/whatever is
> attributed to the reviewer, it is first passed round the rest of the
> office for their opinion and any review which differs wildly from the
> general consensus would not be passed without slight alteration.

> In other words, if the reviewer thought a particular album was 'crap' but
> the rest of the gang thought it was 'brilliant', then the 'crap' review
> would not get printed.
> What probably would get printed would be a review which plays safe.

> This is a bit worrying for YATQ getting 2 stars.

I know that some film mags run into trouble if they come down too hard on films from certain studios/distributors which may affect the access they get to preview screenings, interviews etc, but that's definitely not the case with the better quality music mags.

You'll generally find that senior writers get the high profile reviews, and I'm sure the vast majority of them would rather not work for someone that edits their work to fit in with an editorial line. I just mentioned the above post to someone who writes occasionally for Mojo and he burst out laughing.

Quite why this is being construed as bad news I have no idea. Did you really think the world at large was going to embrace the album as if it was God's gift to music? No. But you'll still buy it, and that's pretty much all that matters. Yes, their opinion carries weight, but often their reviews are a starting point for debate than the final word on whether people should buy it or not.

Re: That, I'm afraid, is utter bollocks.

I don´t know why you ar egiving so much importance to Q's review. Let me show you examples of some of the mistakes they have made over the last years:

Oasis - Be Here Now - 5/5
Flaming Lips -Soft Bulletin - 2/5
Radiohead - Kid A - 3/5
Semisonic - 5/5
Modest Mouse - Moon and Antrctica - 3/5

And there are thousand more. A reviewer opinion/word on an album doesn't mean the album is bad. I have read other reviews praising YATQ. Probably the writter didn't like the album, probably there are subjective reasons behind the score (personal feelings toward the artist, bad relations between mag and artisit, etc.).

Just listen to the record and judge for yourself.

Re: That, I'm afraid, is utter bollocks.

Probably the writer didn't even hear the album.

Why do the reviews chap everyone so much?

Why does the magazine review affect everyone so?
It may affect Morrissey and the money on the bottom line, but will it prevent him from making anymore albums or concerts?

Morrissey has said that it isn't about the money to him, that music is what he is and loves. Those type of comments from him may be rubbish, but what other performers go out touring when they have no album to promote or even a record contract.

He does what he does because he wants to not because of a review in a bin liner.

And personally, I don't think this album will attract a great audience anyway.
Do you think the Linkin Park crowd will buy it, or the N***A rap crowd that has overwhelmed the music video channel scene, or the Britney Spears,Justin Timberlake types?

I think Morrissey has a select niche in the music world and only a limited type will venture in and fewer will stay in.

I think this album will be appreciated by the same fans who have always appreciated the MAN!

Back
Top Bottom