No more stage invaders, please, you're bleeding selfish!

• Thread starter Happy Happy Dave Dave
  • Start date
H

Happy Happy Dave Dave

Hello everyone.

Happily, I was able to catch Morrissey at long last last night at thee Royal Albert Hall and while I agree with some of the comments about the acoustics and seating, one of the things that could have been prevented that really f***ed up the show were the stage invaders.

Don't they realise how selfish it is? I suppose there is a difference between the relatively harmless types like the girl who jumped on and started dancing at the back (who IMO *was* treated excessively roughly/violently) and the most worrying geezers like the ones that actually try to grab Moz, and it's the latter I am really talking about. It's got to be really scary to be Moz and getting rushed by a big sweaty man with uncertain motives who is trying to grab you, right?

I mean, if it forces Morrissey to move an extreme corner of the stage and stop singing (in TIALTNGO), then he's got to be very uncomfortable - and that's a really shitty way to treat someone you have gone to hear sing and everyone else in the hall.

What do other people think?

I agree totally but on a lighter note there was one guy who rushed on who received a crushing blow to the chin by one of the security men. I think he was carried off pretty much unconscious. There were a few invaders at Tuesdays show but on the whole they failed to interfere or grab my attention while Morrissey was on stage. A great show even though there was no programme and the t-shirts were crap. But the show was great.

security / merchandising

Yes - I agree entirely that the security staff were too violent, on the whole, and that's despite me knowing how difficult it can be as a bouncer / steward (two of my good mates are licenced bouncers). As someone else here said already, the guy that jumped into the crowd at the end was a complete brutal animal.

The merchandising was taking the piss, too - SIX QUID for a poster? Two for a POSTCARD? Get stuffed!

Naturally, Moz outshone all that.

I have been to many Morrissey shows, and at every single one he has (in some way) encouraged people to invade the stage. I agree, sometimes it gets out of hand. At the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, I saw Morrissey actually recoil in fear as some guy ran at him full-steam. However, during my own stage-invasion attempts Morrissey has always smiled at me and came to the "moat" area to shake my hand. I honestly think that he appreciates the effort.

If he didn't want anyone on stage, it could certainly be arranged. Don't you think?

> Hello everyone.

> Happily, I was able to catch Morrissey at long last last night at thee
> Royal Albert Hall and while I agree with some of the comments about the
> acoustics and seating, one of the things that could have been prevented
> that really f***ed up the show were the stage invaders.

> Don't they realise how selfish it is? I suppose there is a difference
> between the relatively harmless types like the girl who jumped on and
> started dancing at the back (who IMO *was* treated excessively
> roughly/violently) and the most worrying geezers like the ones that
> actually try to grab Moz, and it's the latter I am really talking about.
> It's got to be really scary to be Moz and getting rushed by a big sweaty
> man with uncertain motives who is trying to grab you, right?

> I mean, if it forces Morrissey to move an extreme corner of the stage and
> stop singing (in TIALTNGO), then he's got to be very uncomfortable - and
> that's a really shitty way to treat someone you have gone to hear sing and
> everyone else in the hall.

> What do other people think?

> I have been to many Morrissey shows, and at every single one he has (in
> some way) encouraged people to invade the stage. I agree, sometimes it
> gets out of hand. At the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, I saw Morrissey
> actually recoil in fear as some guy ran at him full-steam. However, during
> my own stage-invasion attempts Morrissey has always smiled at me and came
> to the "moat" area to shake my hand. I honestly think that he
> appreciates the effort.

> If he didn't want anyone on stage, it could certainly be arranged. Don't
> you think?

I love that he encourages people to try to get up on stage, but the concert turn into a bit of a circus which can be unfortunate for some. This was my first time seeing him so I was fascinated that he seemed to be enjoying this crazy exchange. I think it is very cool of him at the same time I am worried that he will get hurt someday.

Ahhh shurruppp he enjoys it

Its a tradition like fans of Bon Jovi or The Scorpians take there ciggie lighters out for the slow numbers and fans of Micheal Jackson scream and cry

Morrissey loves the attention as well,I think he was getting a tad cranky last night because people were not going demented like in 1991.

> I love that he encourages people to try to get up on stage, but the
> concert turn into a bit of a circus which can be unfortunate for some.
> This was my first time seeing him so I was fascinated that he seemed to be
> enjoying this crazy exchange. I think it is very cool of him at the same
> time I am worried that he will get hurt someday.

Re: I can't imagine wanting a brochure

Brochures are for holidays, cars and Stannah Stairlifts! OK some nice glossy pictures to frame might be nice I suppose.

> Yes - I agree entirely that the security staff were too violent, on the
> whole, and that's despite me knowing how difficult it can be as a bouncer
> / steward (two of my good mates are licenced bouncers). As someone else
> here said already, the guy that jumped into the crowd at the end was a
> complete brutal animal.

> The merchandising was taking the piss, too - SIX QUID for a poster? Two
> for a POSTCARD? Get stuffed!

> Naturally, Moz outshone all that.

Re: Ahhh shurruppp he enjoys it

He definitely has encouraged it. He has thanked 'The brave ones'. Some years ago I felt almost duty bound to 'Have-a-go' because it seemed no-one else was trying, and he seemed disappointed. Got thrown out for my troubles.

> Its a tradition like fans of Bon Jovi or The Scorpians take there ciggie
> lighters out for the slow numbers and fans of Micheal Jackson scream and
> cry

> Morrissey loves the attention as well,I think he was getting a tad cranky
> last night because people were not going demented like in 1991.

I'M NOT A BIG SWEATY MAN.... I ENJOYED MY MINUTE OF FAME ON TUES NIGHT

Back
Top Bottom