T

tbevie

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/mozzerr50/nmeinterpart2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/mozzerr50/nmeinterpart2page2.jpg

Re: Thank you

It's better than the link I found.

Best interview yet I think.

tbevie: Thank you soooo much!

You're a TRUE fan! Some of us don't have access to The NME. Cheers.

Well, if the Mojo interview is an "admission" of homosexuality, then this one would appear to nudge towards being an "admission" of heterosexuality.

The public beyond his immediate friends & family may never know, thankfully. It need not be public domain.

It's quite funny isn't it? One minute people are thinking he's saying one thing, next minute he says something completely different. Morrissey is having a laugh at us all.

> Morrissey is having a laugh at us all.

Mmyep.

Thanks for the scan, OP!

Re: tbevie: Thank you soooo much!

> You're a TRUE fan! Some of us don't have access to The NME. Cheers.

You're very welcome. It's no trouble at all, I'm happy to share

> http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/mozzerr50/nmeinterpart2.jpg
> http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/mozzerr50/nmeinterpart2page2.jpg

Ta very much. I did the text too, which is below.

Sk./Peter

Morrissey Interview part two from the NME 1st March Issue – there’s a couple of pictures and a little section on Morrissey Quotations.

“I’m not celibate and I haven’t been for a long time”
-Has this most celebrated of abstainers really go his hands on some mammary glands? Or is Morrissey just toying with us?

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN…” a brylcreeme’d presenter, reeking of some long lost Eurovision, barks into camera, only in Italian. “It’s my pleasure to present to you…MORRISSEY!”

The grainy lens pans to a Des O’Connor –ish stage set. Morrissey fingers his acrylic, broad-winged shirt collar while a bumbling Alan Bennett-like technician in patched tweed and NHS glasses fumbles with a camera last used to film Coronation Street in 1968. Outside in the balmy Roman suburbs one assumes it’s still January 2006, but inside Opus Studios we’ve stepped through the screen into some lost Channel 9 variety show from 1971.

Beside pandering to Moz’s recent passion for revisiting the tacky television of his youth – he’s also playing three Sunday nights at the London Palladium – we’re here to film videos for two of “Ringleader of The Tormentors” first three singles, intended to mimic the two songs that bands would play on ‘70s chat shows. Right now we have green felt and “You Have Killed Me” – a classic Mozpop mic-lead whipper in the vein of “Alma Matters” which leads off with the line “Pasolini is me, Accatone you’ll be”, referencing controversial Italian director Pier Paolo Pasolini and his debut 1961 film about a Roman pimp.

So Morrissey, what exactly was it that first attracted you to anti-establishment-homosexual-with-work-including-movies-in-which-people-eat-people Pasolini?

“I understand him and I appreciate his art,” Moz winces, “but we weren’t scrubbed off together in the same bathtub. And believe me, that’s nothing. You know absolutely nothing of Italian life, that’s de rigeur! If you’ve seen any of the films, they’re stunningly beautiful. They’re not oozing all the things you’ve listed. – if you scrape away at anybody they can seem quite sordid or subversive because we’re all, privately, a bit sordid.”

He was an artist who had to shock in order to push art forward, facing vilification and prosecution because of his work – is that a way you relate to him?

“I think all people who’ve made a difference have to push and exaggerate,” Moz considers, “and have to almost say too much in order to get a certain degree of attention”

Is that something you’ve done?

He raspberries. “Oh ppfftt. Hither and thither”

LOUDER THAN BOMBS
Certainly the opening track on “Ringleader...” will raise a few eyebrows at MI5. A more extreme sister-piece to “You Are The Quarry”s “America Is Not The World”, “I Will See You In Far Off Places” opens with an imposing Arabian pipe refrain and what could be the sound of scuds striking the mosques, going on to ally with the Iraqis in lines such as “If your God bestows protection upon you/And if the USA doesn’t bomb you/I believe I will see you somewhere safe”. Was that intentional?

A nod. “Absolutely, yes, I do feel very sad for the people of Iraq having been invaded by Bush and Blair – so many people have unnecessarily lost their lives and Bush and Blair don’t care. But within the song I believe there’s a certain spiritual sensation whereby, although we know that life will end we all have a feeling that we will meet again. Now why should we have that feeling? If we realise that everything is temporary, why do we all have this innate feeling that we will be together in some place?”

The song seems to be a message to the Iraqi dead, that you will see them in this far off place.

“I hope so and understand that that’s what they believe. The country’s a mess and all we see in response to this is Blair’s Cheshire Cat grin all over the place, “Victory!” Great, all these dead Iraqi children and persecuted people, and every day in Iraq there are 40, 50, 60 dead in car bombs et cetera. Yet in Los Angeles they don’t even bother to mention it. They’re absolutely preoccupied with whether Brad and Jen will get back together.”

You predicted attacks in the UK. How did it feel to be proved right?

“My view was how would anyone be remotely surprised? It’s an obvious retaliation against Blair’s intentions. And you can’t refer to these things as being terrorist attacks and yet assume that the actions of Blair and Bush are not terrorism. They’re worse than terrorism. They’re the actions of egotistical monsters. Bush views Iraq and thinks, “Well, we will control this country eventually anyway so it doesn’t matter how many innocent people we kill.”

WILL (POSSIBLY) NEVER MARRY
Which brings us to the prickly subject of “Dear God Please Help Me”, Morrissey’s most blatant reference to sex on record. (“Now I’m spreading your legs/With mine in between”) and including the line “Then he motions to me/With his hand on my knee/ Dear God, did this kind of thing happen to you?” – the root of the renewed speculation on his sexuality which has made recent interviews difficult for him. Hmm, now how to tackle this…”

How’s the whole celibacy thing working out for you these days, Mozzer?

“Well, I’m not celibate. I only used the word celibate in 1984 and it’s haunted me like a soothsayer walking behind me everywhere I go. I’m not celibate and I haven’t been for a very long time, but before you ask me any questions even my GP wouldn’t ask, I’m not answering them.”

It sounds like you’ve realised that shagging is brilliant.

“Yes, well I’m 87. If that is the realisation then surely it’s about time, and just in the nick of time!”

The character in the song appears to be undergoing a personal battle between homosexuality and religion.

“No, I don’t think homosexuality is mentioned in the song.”

Well, there are blatant sexual references, and the only gender mentioned is in the line “His hand on my knee”, and so the inference can be taken.

“Well, there are ‘he’s’ all over the place. It’s a matter of having interest from someone who is a ‘he’, which one can’t help and one can’t orchestrate, and so turning to God and saying ‘Did this happen to you?’. We don’t really know much about His (points upwards) personal relationships but he must have had a few. Somebody must have put their hand on his knee.”

How do you feel when people constantly question your sexuality?

“Sometimes it’s interesting, but it’s not interesting when people don’t question it and just assume, because it seems as if they know more than I do – then it’s quite boring. We all have sexuality and why is mine so unique? So I very childishly feel inclined to say nothing at all and often wonder if I did say to people that I am very close to somebody who is female, what would the reaction be?”

Probably utter shock.

“Well there you go, so it’s best I say absolutely nothing.”

How do you feel when gay groups get angry that you’re not saying anything as if it’s almost your duty to define your preferences?

“(Splutters cocktail) My duty to do what? To speak out at what? From where? To whom?”

There are people who believe it’d be beneficial if you were to say you were gay.

“How would that help anybody? I do often find that people who listen and who are homo, or however you’d like to say it, want to believe in that aspect of the songs and people who listen who are hetero – it’s cringeworthy using both terms, but how else can I say it? – they want to believe in that aspect of the songs. It’s all down to the ear of the beholder. I’m not going to interfere.”

What did you think of Elton’s marriage?

“I was a bit shocked by the menu., which wasn’t remotely animal-friendly. Pate de foie gras, which is horrific, and lamb! Would you serve curried child at your wedding? Lambs are simply children. But, that aside, I think it’s historic and proves 100 points.”

HOLD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
A shuffle, an inward shrink, an eye to the door. Morrissey swerves the conversation to a message he recorded on a Dictaphone for NME’s ill girlfriend three years ago and hands down Moz judgement on Arctic Monkeys (“Some Clearasil would be nice”); still chatty, cordial and comfortable, but happier to wind up our allotted hour talking about anything but himself. But before we go, and with NME/Moz hatchets firmly buried, it’s perhaps time to grasp the thorny root of grievance.

So, Finsbury Park – do you think an error of judgement was made?

A crumble of the brow. “By NME?”

By both sides.

“No I don’t”.

Do you not think that performance, in front of a Morrissey crowd who understand that ‘National Front Disco’ isn’t a racist song, would have been taken in the manner intended, but by performing it to the average Madness audience member who was simply seeing a man waving a Union Jack and singing ‘England for the English’, you were open to gross misinterpretation?

“No, because the audience didn’t review the night, NME did, and one would like to assume NME knew the song. I don’t get out of bed for the average Madness audience member. I’m not the kind of person who throws something out to the lowest common denominator – I like to assume that somewhere along the line everyone has a basic gist of intelligence.”

And there we leave Il Mozalini, perched on his Roman parapet; fitter, happier, less reclusive. Assured that the glories and tragedies of life are still close bedfellows, at peace with his wandering soul and proud that ‘Quarry…’ is no sharp up-peak in a dying career, but that stage two of Moz solo is gloriously, unstoppably underway and may well remain spectacular to the grave. Even if, according to ‘Ringleader…’, that it will probably be about April.

But what of the voices, Moz? The head voices that told you to move to Rome? Are they telling you anything now?

Morrissey consults for a second.

“No, no communication,” he grins broadly. “There must be a fault on the line.”

BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
Behold the sharpest barbs ever to fall from Moz’s silver tongue

“Age shouldn’t affect you. You’re either marvellous or you’re boring, regardless fo your age”

“Long hair is an unpardonable offence which should be punishable by death”

“Reggae is vile”

“Bring me the head of Elton John”

“Rave is the refuge for the morally deficient. It’s made by dull people for dull people”

“I always thought my genitals were the result of some crude practical joke”

“Music is like a drug, but there are no rehabilitation centres”

“I would never, ever, do anything as vulgar as have fun”

“If Prince came from Wigan, he would have been slaughtered by now”

“I do think it’s possible to go through life and never fall in love, or find someone who loves you”

“I am capable of looking on the bright side. I just don’t do it very often”

“The Americanisation of England is a terminal illness – I think England should be English and Americans should go home and spoil their own country.”

“Don’t talk to me about people who are ‘nice’, because I have spent my whole life in ruins because of people who are ‘nice’”

“If I met Vic Reeves I’d have no desire other than to smack him in the face”

“I’ve never intended to be controversial but it’s very easy to be controversial in pop music because nobody ever is”

Thanks So Much.

I was too upset to go out and buy it.

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thank you. I bah with delight.

> Ta very much. I did the text too, which is below.

> Sk./Peter

> Morrissey Interview part two from the NME 1st March Issue – there’s a
> couple of pictures and a little section on Morrissey Quotations.

> “I’m not celibate and I haven’t been for a long time”
> -Has this most celebrated of abstainers really go his hands on some
> mammary glands? Or is Morrissey just toying with us?

> “LADIES AND GENTLEMEN…” a brylcreeme’d presenter, reeking of some long
> lost Eurovision, barks into camera, only in Italian. “It’s my pleasure to
> present to you…MORRISSEY!”

> The grainy lens pans to a Des O’Connor –ish stage set. Morrissey fingers
> his acrylic, broad-winged shirt collar while a bumbling Alan Bennett-like
> technician in patched tweed and NHS glasses fumbles with a camera last
> used to film Coronation Street in 1968. Outside in the balmy Roman suburbs
> one assumes it’s still January 2006, but inside Opus Studios we’ve stepped
> through the screen into some lost Channel 9 variety show from 1971.

> Beside pandering to Moz’s recent passion for revisiting the tacky
> television of his youth – he’s also playing three Sunday nights at the
> London Palladium – we’re here to film videos for two of “Ringleader of The
> Tormentors” first three singles, intended to mimic the two songs that
> bands would play on ‘70s chat shows. Right now we have green felt and “You
> Have Killed Me” – a classic Mozpop mic-lead whipper in the vein of “Alma
> Matters” which leads off with the line “Pasolini is me, Accatone you’ll
> be”, referencing controversial Italian director Pier Paolo Pasolini and
> his debut 1961 film about a Roman pimp.

> So Morrissey, what exactly was it that first attracted you to
> anti-establishment-homosexual-with-work-including-movies-in-which-people-eat-people
> Pasolini?

> “I understand him and I appreciate his art,” Moz winces, “but we weren’t
> scrubbed off together in the same bathtub. And believe me, that’s nothing.
> You know absolutely nothing of Italian life, that’s de rigeur! If you’ve
> seen any of the films, they’re stunningly beautiful. They’re not oozing
> all the things you’ve listed. – if you scrape away at anybody they can
> seem quite sordid or subversive because we’re all, privately, a bit
> sordid.”

> He was an artist who had to shock in order to push art forward, facing
> vilification and prosecution because of his work – is that a way you
> relate to him?

> “I think all people who’ve made a difference have to push and exaggerate,”
> Moz considers, “and have to almost say too much in order to get a certain
> degree of attention”

> Is that something you’ve done?

> He raspberries. “Oh ppfftt. Hither and thither”

> LOUDER THAN BOMBS
> Certainly the opening track on “Ringleader...” will raise a few eyebrows
> at MI5. A more extreme sister-piece to “You Are The Quarry”s “America Is
> Not The World”, “I Will See You In Far Off Places” opens with an imposing
> Arabian pipe refrain and what could be the sound of scuds striking the
> mosques, going on to ally with the Iraqis in lines such as “If your God
> bestows protection upon you/And if the USA doesn’t bomb you/I believe I
> will see you somewhere safe”. Was that intentional?

> A nod. “Absolutely, yes, I do feel very sad for the people of Iraq having
> been invaded by Bush and Blair – so many people have unnecessarily lost
> their lives and Bush and Blair don’t care. But within the song I believe
> there’s a certain spiritual sensation whereby, although we know that life
> will end we all have a feeling that we will meet again. Now why should we
> have that feeling? If we realise that everything is temporary, why do we
> all have this innate feeling that we will be together in some place?”

> The song seems to be a message to the Iraqi dead, that you will see them
> in this far off place.

> “I hope so and understand that that’s what they believe. The country’s a
> mess and all we see in response to this is Blair’s Cheshire Cat grin all
> over the place, “Victory!” Great, all these dead Iraqi children and
> persecuted people, and every day in Iraq there are 40, 50, 60 dead in car
> bombs et cetera. Yet in Los Angeles they don’t even bother to mention it.
> They’re absolutely preoccupied with whether Brad and Jen will get back
> together.”

> You predicted attacks in the UK. How did it feel to be proved right?

> “My view was how would anyone be remotely surprised? It’s an obvious
> retaliation against Blair’s intentions. And you can’t refer to these
> things as being terrorist attacks and yet assume that the actions of Blair
> and Bush are not terrorism. They’re worse than terrorism. They’re the
> actions of egotistical monsters. Bush views Iraq and thinks, “Well, we
> will control this country eventually anyway so it doesn’t matter how many
> innocent people we kill.”

> WILL (POSSIBLY) NEVER MARRY
> Which brings us to the prickly subject of “Dear God Please Help Me”,
> Morrissey’s most blatant reference to sex on record. (“Now I’m spreading
> your legs/With mine in between”) and including the line “Then he motions
> to me/With his hand on my knee/ Dear God, did this kind of thing happen to
> you?” – the root of the renewed speculation on his sexuality which has
> made recent interviews difficult for him. Hmm, now how to tackle this…”

> How’s the whole celibacy thing working out for you these days, Mozzer?

> “Well, I’m not celibate. I only used the word celibate in 1984 and it’s
> haunted me like a soothsayer walking behind me everywhere I go. I’m not
> celibate and I haven’t been for a very long time, but before you ask me
> any questions even my GP wouldn’t ask, I’m not answering them.”

> It sounds like you’ve realised that shagging is brilliant.

> “Yes, well I’m 87. If that is the realisation then surely it’s about time,
> and just in the nick of time!”

> The character in the song appears to be undergoing a personal battle
> between homosexuality and religion.

> “No, I don’t think homosexuality is mentioned in the song.”

> Well, there are blatant sexual references, and the only gender mentioned
> is in the line “His hand on my knee”, and so the inference can be taken.

> “Well, there are ‘he’s’ all over the place. It’s a matter of having
> interest from someone who is a ‘he’, which one can’t help and one can’t
> orchestrate, and so turning to God and saying ‘Did this happen to you?’.
> We don’t really know much about His (points upwards) personal
> relationships but he must have had a few. Somebody must have put their
> hand on his knee.”

> How do you feel when people constantly question your sexuality?

> “Sometimes it’s interesting, but it’s not interesting when people don’t
> question it and just assume, because it seems as if they know more than I
> do – then it’s quite boring. We all have sexuality and why is mine so
> unique? So I very childishly feel inclined to say nothing at all and often
> wonder if I did say to people that I am very close to somebody who is
> female, what would the reaction be?”

> Probably utter shock.

> “Well there you go, so it’s best I say absolutely nothing.”

> How do you feel when gay groups get angry that you’re not saying anything
> as if it’s almost your duty to define your preferences?

> “(Splutters cocktail) My duty to do what? To speak out at what? From
> where? To whom?”

> There are people who believe it’d be beneficial if you were to say you
> were gay.

> “How would that help anybody? I do often find that people who listen and
> who are homo, or however you’d like to say it, want to believe in that
> aspect of the songs and people who listen who are hetero – it’s
> cringeworthy using both terms, but how else can I say it? – they want to
> believe in that aspect of the songs. It’s all down to the ear of the
> beholder. I’m not going to interfere.”

> What did you think of Elton’s marriage?

> “I was a bit shocked by the menu., which wasn’t remotely animal-friendly.
> Pate de foie gras, which is horrific, and lamb! Would you serve curried
> child at your wedding? Lambs are simply children. But, that aside, I think
> it’s historic and proves 100 points.”

> HOLD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
> A shuffle, an inward shrink, an eye to the door. Morrissey swerves the
> conversation to a message he recorded on a Dictaphone for NME’s ill
> girlfriend three years ago and hands down Moz judgement on Arctic Monkeys
> (“Some Clearasil would be nice”); still chatty, cordial and comfortable,
> but happier to wind up our allotted hour talking about anything but
> himself. But before we go, and with NME/Moz hatchets firmly buried, it’s
> perhaps time to grasp the thorny root of grievance.

> So, Finsbury Park – do you think an error of judgement was made?

> A crumble of the brow. “By NME?”

> By both sides.

> “No I don’t”.

> Do you not think that performance, in front of a Morrissey crowd who
> understand that ‘National Front Disco’ isn’t a racist song, would have
> been taken in the manner intended, but by performing it to the average
> Madness audience member who was simply seeing a man waving a Union Jack
> and singing ‘England for the English’, you were open to gross
> misinterpretation?

> “No, because the audience didn’t review the night, NME did, and one would
> like to assume NME knew the song. I don’t get out of bed for the average
> Madness audience member. I’m not the kind of person who throws something
> out to the lowest common denominator – I like to assume that somewhere
> along the line everyone has a basic gist of intelligence.”

> And there we leave Il Mozalini, perched on his Roman parapet; fitter,
> happier, less reclusive. Assured that the glories and tragedies of life
> are still close bedfellows, at peace with his wandering soul and proud
> that ‘Quarry…’ is no sharp up-peak in a dying career, but that stage two
> of Moz solo is gloriously, unstoppably underway and may well remain
> spectacular to the grave. Even if, according to ‘Ringleader…’, that it
> will probably be about April.

> But what of the voices, Moz? The head voices that told you to move to
> Rome? Are they telling you anything now?

> Morrissey consults for a second.

> “No, no communication,” he grins broadly. “There must be a fault on the
> line.”

> BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
> Behold the sharpest barbs ever to fall from Moz’s silver tongue

> “Age shouldn’t affect you. You’re either marvellous or you’re boring,
> regardless fo your age”

> “Long hair is an unpardonable offence which should be punishable by death”

> “Reggae is vile”

> “Bring me the head of Elton John”

> “Rave is the refuge for the morally deficient. It’s made by dull people
> for dull people”

> “I always thought my genitals were the result of some crude practical
> joke”

> “Music is like a drug, but there are no rehabilitation centres”

> “I would never, ever, do anything as vulgar as have fun”

> “If Prince came from Wigan, he would have been slaughtered by now”

> “I do think it’s possible to go through life and never fall in love, or
> find someone who loves you”

> “I am capable of looking on the bright side. I just don’t do it very
> often”

> “The Americanisation of England is a terminal illness – I think England
> should be English and Americans should go home and spoil their own
> country.”

> “Don’t talk to me about people who are ‘nice’, because I have spent my
> whole life in ruins because of people who are ‘nice’”

> “If I met Vic Reeves I’d have no desire other than to smack him in the
> face”

> “I’ve never intended to be controversial but it’s very easy to be
> controversial in pop music because nobody ever is”

Re: NME interview, part 2- Moz on Arctic Monkeys

> Thank You lots!

Some Clearasil would be nice.

HA HA HA HA HA

Please let's not kid ourselves

Do you know any heterosexual men who are rabid fans of Jobriath, Klaus Nomi, Pasolini, and Hollywood musicals? It strains credibility.

Besides, no straight guy would refer to his girlfriend as "a female"; that's so detached and clinical. He's just having us all on.

As the saying goes: if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and screws other male ducks ...

Re: Please let's not kid ourselves

> Do you know any heterosexual men who are rabid fans of Jobriath, Klaus
> Nomi, Pasolini, and Hollywood musicals? It strains credibility.

David Bowie was quite the fan of Nomi & Pasolini and it doesn't go beyond the realm of reasoning to suggest he might have a penchant for "Hollywood musicals" given some of his own career choices.

I'm not sure whether he thought much of Jobriath, though, for obvious reasons.

I know gay men who have no interest in all those artists, are not interested in musicals and do not see the merits in Kylie or Madonna either.

that's just a ridiculous classification!

And on and on...

Claire, you're exactly right. Almost every single one of his declared influences is either explicitly or tangentially queer. Wilde, Capote, Joe Orton, the Warhol crew (Candy Darling), etc. "A Taste of Honey" featured a gay character. Even James Dean, the epitome of straight, was interesting to Morrissey-- for his alleged sexual encounters with men! So I think your "Walks like a duck" logic is absolutely correct.

Here's the thing.

Morrissey has never come out. From the beginning he has maintained that he was "another sex", pushing not for one orientation or the other but proposing something else, a mixture of the two. "People aren't hetero or homo, they're just sexual" was a line of his, if I recall. For me, I have to assume that, yes, Morrissey probably has rrrrrrrelations (in my best Lady Bracknell voice) with men. But because he hasn't declared himself, and because he has always written from a largely genderless perspective, I think his music, and his public image, are far more provocative and useful.

"Ringleader Of The Tormentors" may change that. We'll see. I think the songs we've heard so far certainly warrant a re-opening of the "Is he gay?" debate, because at last he seems more open to singing about his sexuality in a direct way. At the end of the day, though, I hope he remains what he's always been, an enigma; let Elton and Eminem continue their joint reign as queens of pop.

tis true.....

but like so much of what he does, it's all a throwback to his formative years.

i hate to call him a rip-off artist, but he does like to pick through their garbage quite a bit. if you dig into the imagery and wording he uses, it's a direct reference to something else like Elvis, James Dean, Shelagh Delaney, Bowie, The NY Dolls, and all that. he's a walking Jamba Juice smoothie of his teenage years.

When he was growing up, the gender-bending thing was cool. I think the movie Velvet Goldmine gives a good impression of the glam era that most of us here were too young to be familiar with. I wouldn't say that it's the only reason, but let's assume that the reason why he chooses to remain "mysterious" in that field is equally as referential as being a gender-bender glam rocker as it is for Morrissey to pose on a Vespa and pretend like he's James Dean, or wear a quiff like he's Elvis, or throw off Wildean quips in interviews?

i think he also likes taunting the interviewers because it gives him great joy to shoot them down.

> Do you know any heterosexual men who are rabid fans of Jobriath, Klaus
> Nomi, Pasolini, and Hollywood musicals? It strains credibility.

> Besides, no straight guy would refer to his girlfriend as "a
> female"; that's so detached and clinical. He's just having us all on.

that could be true, or it could be he's either embarrassed or he's a dork.

> As the saying goes: if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and screws
> other male ducks ...

Morrissey didn't go the gay distance because he wanted to be a bigger star

> but like so much of what he does, it's all a throwback to his formative
> years.

> i hate to call him a rip-off artist, but he does like to pick through
> their garbage quite a bit. if you dig into the imagery and wording he
> uses, it's a direct reference to something else like Elvis, James Dean,
> Shelagh Delaney, Bowie, The NY Dolls, and all that. he's a walking Jamba
> Juice smoothie of his teenage years.

> When he was growing up, the gender-bending thing was cool. I think the
> movie Velvet Goldmine gives a good impression of the glam era that most of
> us here were too young to be familiar with. I wouldn't say that it's the
> only reason, but let's assume that the reason why he chooses to remain
> "mysterious" in that field is equally as referential as being a
> gender-bender glam rocker as it is for Morrissey to pose on a Vespa and
> pretend like he's James Dean, or wear a quiff like he's Elvis, or throw
> off Wildean quips in interviews?

In the liner notes to the Attack Records Jobriath compilation, Morrissey wrote:

"The hairy beasts who wrote for the music press laughed Jobriath off the face of the planet. He was – at best – merely considered to be “insane”. It was clear that Jobriath was willing to go the gay distance, something that even the intelligentsia didn’t much care for. Elton John knew this in 1973; Jobriath didn’t. Surrounded on all sides by Journey, Styx, and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Jobriath was at society’s mercy. Yet it could have worked so well."

Jobriath was willing to go the gay distance and got tossed back on the streets.

Morrissey knows it's good for his career to keep things unclear, enable yourself to be a sex symbol to as many people as possible, and let people believe what they want. Of course it's not actually unclear at all when you connect the dots.

Back
Top Bottom