New Smiths Song Discovered

D

Dirk McNasty

Has anyone seen NME this week? A guy has gone through Mike Joyce's tapes and found a Morrissey/Marr original from 1982 called A Matter of Opinion, which is in a similar vein to What Difference... Apparently, there are enough alternate versions, etc. for a Smiths-style Anthology. Now wouldn't that be amazing...

I can't believe the lack of interest in what will probably be much better than anything Mozzer can put out now...this new Smiths track and the alternate/instrumental versions found sound very promising...

> Has anyone seen NME this week? A guy has gone through Mike Joyce's tapes
> and found a Morrissey/Marr original from 1982 called A Matter of Opinion,
> which is in a similar vein to What Difference... Apparently, there are
> enough alternate versions, etc. for a Smiths-style Anthology. Now wouldn't
> that be amazing...

> I can't believe the lack of interest in what will probably be much better
> than anything Mozzer can put out now...this new Smiths track and the
> alternate/instrumental versions found sound very promising...

look, i don't care now. really. i've lowered my standards. i just want something i haven't played on my stereo 700 times. and even if i never get to actually hear the damn thing, just even the suggestion that something i haven't seen before exists.

white flag is raised.

> that be amazing...

My wife was listening to Edge 102 Toronto radio station (on the Nooner, which regularly plays requested 80's songs, like the Smiths and heard that a new Smiths song was going to be played. She wasn't around to hear it actually played, but maybe this was what they were talking about.

Well, I thought it was amazing news! Not many other people did...

> that be amazing...

I read that as well but I heard the words from Marrs' lips that the only Smiths songs that were RECORDED and not released were the Marrianne Faithful tracks "Summer Nights" and "The Sha La La Song".I don't doubt that there are instrumentals and outakes lying around but from what I have heard these are the only 2 recorded tracks . There is enough for an Anthology but one of the quartet is not interested in this goldmine seeing the light of day.

No prizes for gussing which one.

I have it, on good information, that the Faithfull tracks dont exist. They were briefly rehearsed/tried but never done in studio. Rourke told Record Collector last year as much.

Why doesn't Morrissey want this stuff released though? He'd make a FORTUNE.

Back
Top Bottom