MORRISSEY AND I

J

Johnny

so i was at this party at the weekend and talking to someone about the outbreak of punk in 1977 etc and we talked about our current musical tastes.normally i never mention morrisey because about 99% of the population just have no idea what a huge influence he has been to me and many others.anyway,this person asked me in what way morrissey had influenced me!?.i had no idea what to say.where do you start? the 1st record of his i bought was"what difference" on the day it was released.all i could think of to say was,"he has given me the courage to go out into the world,chase my dreams,and be comfortable being me".
it was a strange situation to be in.
i would love to know what other fans would say if asked for a quick answer to a question like that.

..I came in on Your Uncle which was released during problably the worst year for music, and then from there got into the Smiths, so ive always been partial to solo Morrissey...as far as his affect on me..his music kind of taught me to celebrate all the things about myself that I had hated before..So it goes without saying how positive that would be. This sounds kind of flakey, but I will love Morrissey forever for what he has done for me...So yeah the courage thing too, and the whole sense of kinship within the misifts of the world. So theres my two xents

Most of the time when I'm in that situation I display the tattoo on my neck that says "IMMOZTAL" and I think that says it all really. For those who still don't get it I'd pretty much use your words also -

"he has given me the courage to
> go out into the world,chase my dreams,and be comfortable being
> me".

But if someone gives me the room for it I'd be going on for hours.

My waking hour came strangely enough came with just one line: "the good life is out there somewhere" and to this day I can't really recall why it made "click" but it undoubtedly did.

I told a friend of mine that I would have never written a word of poetry or lyrics had I not heard "Viva Hate," and it was something about Morrissey's voice that made me feel I could finally say all the things I wanted to say and not be ashamed. I love The Smiths but never got this feeling until Morrissey went solo. So there, I am in debt to him forever.

Back
Top Bottom