Morrissey and Germany

F

famousplaygirl

What is it? Why doesn´t he give any concerts in Germany? It´s the biggest music market in Europe. "Rock am Ring" as a festival doesn`t count, he won`t show up, either. Has there been a past event that stops Morrissey from touring Germany? As there are no seals killed, I can`t explain. Please help me!!!

Oh don't start.... I know for sure that there was an extensive German tour planned but it fell through for tax reasons. That's complicated business. I know Moz is looking for opportunities to do more in Germany, so sooner or later there's bound to be something. Apparantly, Sanctuary D aren't the fittest on the pitch either.

And I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't show up at RaR/Park. I for one choose not to drive down there, and Roskilde is closer anyway...

> What is it? Why doesn´t he give any concerts in Germany? It´s the biggest
> music market in Europe. "Rock am Ring" as a festival doesn`t
> count, he won`t show up, either. Has there been a past event that stops
> Morrissey from touring Germany? As there are no seals killed, I can`t
> explain. Please help me!!!

> Oh don't start.... I know for sure that there was an extensive German tour
> planned but it fell through for tax reasons. That's complicated business.
> I know Moz is looking for opportunities to do more in Germany, so sooner
> or later there's bound to be something. Apparantly, Sanctuary D aren't the
> fittest on the pitch either.

> And I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't show up at RaR/Park. I for one
> choose not to drive down there, and Roskilde is closer anyway...

Hm. So let´s hope the best! But tax reasons are no reasons to me! It should be rock´n roll in the end and not money!
You are right, he should get a cold and stay home, RaR is not a Morrissey thing. This experience could make him turn his back on Germany forever!

I don't think it's any of our right to judge him or anyone involved in that... it may be rock'n'roll for you, but for him, it's also a job. And why work where it's hard when there's other places that make it easy for you??

Blame the government for tax law, blame the promoter, but don't blame Moz. It's not his fault.

> Hm. So let´s hope the best! But tax reasons are no reasons to me! It
> should be rock´n roll in the end and not money!
> You are right, he should get a cold and stay home, RaR is not a Morrissey
> thing. This experience could make him turn his back on Germany forever!

Well he might turn up at Rock am Ring ... but then possibly do an about turn ... I doubt at least whether he'll really enjoy it. I have been to that festival and compared to Hurricane it's soul destroying ... the concrete everywhere, for starters)... but at least he won't be haunted by Muse fans who gave him so much stick two years ago ... they are at the Hurricane festival ..
It was worth making the journey to Amsterdam and I think I am going to go to Zagreb now ... just so that I can talk about the Morrissey tour from A to Z

I doubt that the Metallica or Guns'n'Roses fans (are there any Guns'n'Roses fans?) will leave a better impression on him.... Yes I agree that he should have played the Hurricane instead, but RaR is the biggest festival and I reckon they wanted the most exposure they could possibly have. "They" being Sanctuary and the promoter involved, whoever that may be...

me and friends might do both Pinkpop and Roskilde, no RaR though, no way! Alongside two Swedish and seven UK shows, that would equal 11 Morrissey shows this year. So I guess I can't complain. Italy seems tempting too so who knows what the rest of the year will bring...

> Well he might turn up at Rock am Ring ... but then possibly do an about
> turn ... I doubt at least whether he'll really enjoy it. I have been to
> that festival and compared to Hurricane it's soul destroying ... the
> concrete everywhere, for starters)... but at least he won't be haunted by
> Muse fans who gave him so much stick two years ago ... they are at the
> Hurricane festival ..
> It was worth making the journey to Amsterdam and I think I am going to go
> to Zagreb now ... just so that I can talk about the Morrissey tour from A
> to Z

Been talking to Boz Boorer in Amsterdam. And he said....Rock am Ring/im Park will not be the only gigs in germany this year.

I hope, he's right.

11 shows? Fantastic. Right I am going to have to apply for more holiday. I would have liked to have seen him in the UK too, but on the day tickets went on sale we had server problems ... and an hour later all the places I would have gone too were sold out. It would have been cool to have seen him in Portsmouth, my place of birth. Well maybe they'll end up here in Hamburg in autumn.
The Croatian and Serbian festivals look very attractive though and as I have never been to either country I think I'll head down there ... Benicassim as well if other friends summon up the energy.

St Petersburg would be really cool place for him to play too ... he said Russia was on his to do list

hey you're in Hamburg? So am I! I wonder whether there's an appropriate venue for moz these days though... I'm hoping for the Große Freiheit but they might decide to do the half house CoLiArena too. Who knows, it might work.

I'm flying into Manchester next week and will be doing a whoooole week of Mozdom in the UK, yay! And like you, I'm anticipating what the rest of the year might bring....

> 11 shows? Fantastic. Right I am going to have to apply for more holiday. I
> would have liked to have seen him in the UK too, but on the day tickets
> went on sale we had server problems ... and an hour later all the places I
> would have gone too were sold out. It would have been cool to have seen
> him in Portsmouth, my place of birth. Well maybe they'll end up here in
> Hamburg in autumn.
> The Croatian and Serbian festivals look very attractive though and as I
> have never been to either country I think I'll head down there ...
> Benicassim as well if other friends summon up the energy.

> St Petersburg would be really cool place for him to play too ... he said
> Russia was on his to do list

Re: Hamburg

Hallo zurück! Das versteh ich gut... ;-)

Wo musst du denn sein?

> Hallo Hamburg! Ich vermisse dich...

I saw him in '91 in Docks ... maybe you were there too? It was like a florists convention. As the curtains parted and he said "Good Evening" hundreds of bunches of flowers flew towards the stage. Quite a spectacle. (Funny, I think that's the only time I have ever seen curtains there). But you are right with Große Freiheit, it would be my venue of choice too ... I think it is my favourite place to see bands 'überhaupt'. Big enough ... and small enough for just the right atmosphere. The ColorLine Area kl. Var is just about ok for something of its size ... but I am not really keen on these Mehrzweckhallen ... although I did enjoy Franz Ferdinand there.

I don't quite agree with the Colorline's claims about its accoustic properties. The Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam on the other hand really does seem to have been built for the purpose of delivering the best possible sound ... despite it appearing to be relatively sterile, I have to admit it sounded fantastic and the stage was just the right size and looked great too.

Re: Hamburg

Yes I love this city. Es gibt immer was neues zu entdecken.
And it's been the sunniest day of the year today as well.

I am heading home now and debating whether to go to the Alster, the Sp/Port Viertel in Landungsbrücken or to the Schanze ... on such an evening it is nice to have that choice ;-)

Funny thing though, but ever since that Reader Meet Author rough version was posted earlier it hasn't gone out of my head.

Have a good evening!

Naa, I didn't join the circus before '99. The first show I ever saw was Cologne on October 13th, and then Hamburg the next day at the G1. I couldn't help but notice that the venue was pulled down right afterwards =) Mind you there wasn't much left of it to start with.

We'll see what a tour brings... I know for sure that he likes Hamburg and that he likes to go shopping here! So it's worth scanning the designer stores on Neuer Wall....

> I saw him in '91 in Docks ... maybe you were there too? It was like a
> florists convention. As the curtains parted and he said "Good
> Evening" hundreds of bunches of flowers flew towards the stage. Quite
> a spectacle. (Funny, I think that's the only time I have ever seen
> curtains there). But you are right with Große Freiheit, it would be my
> venue of choice too ... I think it is my favourite place to see bands
> 'überhaupt'. Big enough ... and small enough for just the right
> atmosphere. The ColorLine Area kl. Var is just about ok for something of
> its size ... but I am not really keen on these Mehrzweckhallen ...
> although I did enjoy Franz Ferdinand there.

> I don't quite agree with the Colorline's claims about its accoustic
> properties. The Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam on the other hand really
> does seem to have been built for the purpose of delivering the best
> possible sound ... despite it appearing to be relatively sterile, I have
> to admit it sounded fantastic and the stage was just the right size and
> looked great too.

Re: Hamburg to Barcelona

It's been friggin fantastic - I've just come back from a sailing lesson on the Alster and it was the most sensational feeling to finally have a warm breeze after this long, long winter.... they say it's gonna be cold and rainy tomorrow though.

I'm off to Barcelona over the weekend so I don't mind much =) Shame Morrissey isn't playing there but I might have the pleasure of witnessing the FC BArcelona match on Sunday. Funny teeth instead of funny jawline ;-)

> Yes I love this city. Es gibt immer was neues zu entdecken.
> And it's been the sunniest day of the year today as well.

> I am heading home now and debating whether to go to the Alster, the
> Sp/Port Viertel in Landungsbrücken or to the Schanze ... on such an
> evening it is nice to have that choice ;-)

> Funny thing though, but ever since that Reader Meet Author rough version
> was posted earlier it hasn't gone out of my head.

> Have a good evening!

> Naa, I didn't join the circus before '99. The first show I ever saw was
> Cologne on October 13th, and then Hamburg the next day at the G1. I
> couldn't help but notice that the venue was pulled down right afterwards
> =) Mind you there wasn't much left of it to start with.

> We'll see what a tour brings... I know for sure that he likes Hamburg and
> that he likes to go shopping here! So it's worth scanning the designer
> stores on Neuer Wall....

He likes shopping in hamburg? Why do you know this?

Because I know that he went for an extensive shopping spree last time...

And besides, he goes shopping everywhere, doesn't he??

> He likes shopping in hamburg? Why do you know this?

> Because I know that he went for an extensive shopping spree last time...

> And besides, he goes shopping everywhere, doesn't he??

Yes, he does....and now he lives in Rome, the ultimative shoppingcity for people with money! :)

I can't remember why I couldn't make it to G1 - but you're right, it was pulled down soon afterwards. Didn't Morrissey come on and say something like 'Welcome to the Hamburg toilet'? ;-) I am sure he did. What a strange place to play though. He even then went on to play in Pier 2 in Bremen of all places (I used to live there).

The only famous people I have recognised around Neuer Wall are your Kerners, Beckmanns, Sergej Barbarez and a while back Farin Urlaub ... oh and Roberto Bianco

By the way, you are rubbing it in a bit with the number of concerts you are going to AND the trip to Barcelona this weekend. ;-) It's one of my favourite cities. Last time I as there I discovered the Moog club which is great .. well at least it was that night. Imagine a much smaller Echochamber but with the original Click crowd (before it became too 'prollig') ... it is of course a different type of music that's played there.

Oh yeah that's what he said...how very appropriate. I was in Bremen too and I can't really remember the venue, only that it was an excellent show, one of the best I've seen since. And mind you I have 35 shows to choose from (aaahh sorry I just had to say that =) )

My strangest c-celeb encounter was Naddel at the Karstadt Feinkost place - and guess what she bought? 2 bottles of Schampus..... hehe. And she hid it under her coat before she left the place, how strange.

I'm in Barcelona halfway on business but who knows, if we're going to the footie, we might aswell go to a club so thanks for the tip. And my Moz-holiday is long overdue - I'm a hard working girl and haven't had a proper holiday since last july... And I'll be enjoying every minute of it.

> I can't remember why I couldn't make it to G1 - but you're right, it was
> pulled down soon afterwards. Didn't Morrissey come on and say something
> like 'Welcome to the Hamburg toilet'? ;-) I am sure he did. What a strange
> place to play though. He even then went on to play in Pier 2 in Bremen of
> all places (I used to live there).

> The only famous people I have recognised around Neuer Wall are your
> Kerners, Beckmanns, Sergej Barbarez and a while back Farin Urlaub ... oh
> and Roberto Bianco

> By the way, you are rubbing it in a bit with the number of concerts you
> are going to AND the trip to Barcelona this weekend. ;-) It's one of my
> favourite cities. Last time I as there I discovered the Moog club which is
> great .. well at least it was that night. Imagine a much smaller