Miami Herald on Quarry

L

LoafingOaf

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/8771009.htm?1c

MORRISSEY

You Are the Quarry

Attack/Sanctuary

In interviews promoting his first CD in seven years, cult fave and ex-Smiths singer Morrissey still professes to shunning relationships.

So what's he doing singing lines like, ''Close your eyes and think of someone / You physically admire and let me kiss you.'' Of course, this being Morrissey he soon concludes Let Me Kiss You with the kicker: ``But then you open your eyes and you see someone / That you physically despise.''

Morrissey fans, he's back!

Romantic entanglements aren't the British rocker's only quarry. ''I love you,'' he sings to his adopted home, America, but there are limits to Morrissey's adoration since he launches a blistering attack on the Home of the Free on America Is Not the World. ''America, your head's too big, because America, you're belly's too big.'' If the United States' president has never been ''black, female or gay,'' Morrissey complains, ``You've got nothing to say to me.''

The thin-skinned shouldn't have too many problems weathering Morrissey's storm because the ringing, guitar-driven melodies rank with his best work and vocally the mopey guy sounds in fine fettle.

HOWARD COHEN

Back
Top Bottom