In today's Daily Express - Moz says 'Don't vote for me'

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
This from the Day & Night column in today's Daily Express. Were the quotations from the Culture show interview, or another source? I'm pretty sure he'd like to win. Anyway, here we are...

'"Morose warbler Morrissey is urging members of the public not to vote for him after being shortlisted in the last three for BBC's Living Icon poll.

Mozza, 47, is up against Sir David Attenborough and Sir Paul McCartney for the prestigious gong, with the result to be broadcast on BBC2's Culture Show on December 16th.

However, the former Smiths frontman insists his rivals are more deserving of the honour.

"It's exciting, I feel very humbled," says the Mancunian star on being nominated. "I'm amazed I beat people like Michael Caine, David Bowie and Alan Bennett. But if anyone out there still has a vote, they should vote for Paul or David. Their careers have been twice as long as mine. They are illustrious company. I'm just a scruff-bag, really!"

Morrissey was nominated by presenter Jeremy Vine who admitted that "one reason to vote for him is that he would really hate to win this".

However, Mozza was less generous about another high-profile British celebrity.

"There are only three things wrong with this country," he declared during a concert at Wembley Arena. "Jamie Oliver, Jamie Oliver and Jamie Oliver!"'

HA!!

Cheers for that mate. I cut it out and stuck it on my locker.
Then on the way home I thought, shit, shoulda bought that home to post on here :)

I think he's being overly modest! ;)

OOPS

:p

The Jamie Oliver comment was silly of him, but other than that it's so odd to see Morrissey, well, humble.

Well this is clever though becuase everyone's saying 'don't give it to moz his head is already too big' and now he's just acting totally humble. I'm not sure whether the papers was pointing that out or just shouting 'look look he doesnt want it, dont give it to him!' :rolleyes:

Yeah. If I were an internationally acclaimed rock star with legions of rabid fans hanging on my every word. I'd use it as an opportunity to have a pop at a celebrity chef.

Prick.

Also, Radio 1 wouldn't play his record, because he's vegatarian.

I do find his sudden dislike of Jamie Oliver slightly misplaced, especially when you consider chefs like Gordon Ramsey who are far more passionate about their meat- and he's totally unsympathetic about vegetarianism... as is Antony Worral Thompson come to think of it. And what about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, his program makes me want to be sick, even if he does have good intentions about the giving his animals a good quality of life before slaughtering them. Also Jamie Oliver is quite popular at the moment what with the whole school dinners thing so I can’t imagine it’ll be too supported a campaign! But then maybe Morrissey's sensible and avoids all these programmes... Ok, slight tangent here!

In terms of being an icon, I'd say that Paul Mccartney is probably most widely known, but I have respect for all three, really.

David Attenborough has done some absolutely incredible things and has brought an appreciation of nature into the public consciousness, so I am delighted he is in the top three.

I'm also delighted and surprised that Morrissey made it into the top three. I wouldn't have ever anticipated that he was popular enough with most BBC viewers to make it into the top three. I think he'll be more than delighted to have even placed this highly.

I do find his sudden dislike of Jamie Oliver slightly misplaced, especially when you consider chefs like Gordon Ramsey who are far more passionate about their meat- and he's totally unsympathetic about vegetarianism... as is Antony Worral Thompson come to think of it. And what about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, his program makes me want to be sick, even if he does have good intentions about the giving his animals a good quality of life before slaughtering them. Also Jamie Oliver is quite popular at the moment what with the whole school dinners thing so I can’t imagine it’ll be too supported a campaign! But then maybe Morrissey's sensible and avoids all these programmes... Ok, slight tangent here!

Yes but not every celebrity chef bludgeons a little fluffy lamb to death on TV. Bastard.

We shouldn't vote for Moz, he's right.
Look at it this way: Moz has inspired & entertained thousands over 20+ years, Attenborough has inspired & entertained millions for twice as long.
On the other hand, McCartney was a Beatle, then he made Band On The Run, then... well that's pretty much all folks. For him to win it would be a victory for the enduring appeal of the Beatles, of which he was only one part.
He's gonna walk it though isn't he?:(

Yeah. If I were an internationally acclaimed rock star with legions of rabid fans hanging on my every word. I'd use it as an opportunity to have a pop at a celebrity chef.

Prick.

Also, Radio 1 wouldn't play his record, because he's vegatarian.

Yeah, Oliver's all right. At least he advocates proper food - not factory-farmed, processed, reconstituted junk from animals who had thoroughly miserable lives

But I have to salute him on his verbal assaults on Clarissa Dickson-Wright :cool:

"Morose Warbler"

Haha... these silly tabloids will never give Moz the credit the deserves..

The thing is, he really should win though. The other have fans, sure, but there is nobody in modern culture who touches people in the way Morrissey does. He is a true icon, because he is who he is, and never tries to be anyhing else. I voted, and I hope he wins.

I like Jamie Oliver, in a sentimental, 'He's an Essex-boy too he is init' kind of way.

How many teenagers have you seen through the years wearing a David Attenborough T-shirt or Macca, okay a T-shirt does not make an Icon and dressing up like Mr. Attenborough is too far off in the distance, McCartney is a Beatle and his Iconic label end's there. Well loved never meant ICON

Yes but not every celebrity chef bludgeons a little fluffy lamb to death on TV. Bastard.

i know!!! that was absolutely disgusting!!!!!!! he has no soul!!!!!
most meat-eaters get an epiphany when they're faced with what their "lamb chops" really are.....but no...he just slit it's throat and had a big feast
just thinking about that makes me gag!

i know!!! that was absolutely disgusting!!!!!!! he has no soul!!!!!
most meat-eaters get an epiphany when they're faced with what their "lamb chops" really are.....but no...he just slit it's throat and had a big feast
just thinking about that makes me gag!

So, what about this Gordon Ramsey feller? :)

A meat eater who curses profusely, gotta trust a bloke like that!

*ub would like to stress that swearing is big and it's also f***ing clever*

Back
Top Bottom